close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please help! issue after my G26 first day at range

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rygleason, Feb 3, 2010.

1. rygleason

rygleason

I finally had a chance to take my new G26 to the range today. I put about 200 rounds through it. The first 4 magazines through with PMC bronze 115grn FMJ had several failures to feed. I thought I may have a bad box, so I switched to American Eagle 115grn FMJ. I went through 100 rounds of that with no issues. I then went back to another box of PMC Bronze 115grn FMJ's and had no issues as well. I shot a couple of mags of my Federal HST 124grn before I left with no issues either.

The problem is when I took everything down tonight to clean it. I noticed that there is a sliver on the inside of the frame under where the barrel is inserted next to the silver plate that has the serial #. This does not look good, so i took some photos. Please see the photos and tell me what you think and if i need to do anything, or if this is common. Thanks so much for your help. I don't know how to post pics inside the thread, but here are links to my webshots album:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2266263160048471674AnyeJg

I also noticed that the part that the slide goes over is scratched pretty bad:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2126257660048471674FtaZnR

2. MainStreetIowa

MainStreetIowa

Pics don't look abnormal at all.

GLOCKs don't normally need a "breaking-in" period but it's not unheard of. Keep shooting it and see how she goes.

Bottom line: looks like a normal G26 to me.

3. Larry V

Larry V

Did you clean and lube it before you shot? I would call Customer service and descibe your concerns to them!!!

4. Orange

Orange

It looks like it was the guide rod.

Did you break it down and clean it before you shot it? If so.......

No disrespect but you may have by accident put the guide rod in the wrong place when you assembled it. When you were shooting it was digging into the frame. When you reloaded it might have popped back into the right place.

If it did not happen from the Federal and back to the PMC (last box) that might be what it was.

The guide rod spring has a particular place to rest in the barrel when you place it onto the slide.

I am getting a Glock 26 also (8 DAYS) but in OD....:supergrin:

Regards
    Orange.

5. rygleason

rygleason

I did clean and lube it when I got it about 2-3 weeks ago. I am pretty sure that I made sure that I slid the guide rod all the way in to the bottom notch, however I did not double check it before I began shooting at the range. I had a used G26 from 2005-2006 and never had any issued with the guide rod not seating all of the way, of course I did have the Lasermax Guide rod.........

bottom line, if I did make a mistake and didnt have the guide rod all of the way seated and that is what took the sliver out of the frame, do I have anything to worry about? it won't cause any issues with the overall fucntioning of the gun will it? Maybe I should clip off that sliver and sand it down so it is smooth?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  6. MainStreetIowa

MainStreetIowa

When in doubt, do NOT sand or clip things off your gun. :supergrin: I still think you have a completely normal and functional G26. Shoot it some more and let us know how she handles. My bet? 100%

7. rygleason

rygleason

I will keep shooting it the way it is. it sounds like it is not a functionability issue, just a cosmetic one, and an internal cosmetic issue at that.

Has anyone else had this issue?

8. sgt rock

sgt rock

So a nice chunk of plastic has been gouged out and this is normal ?

9. rygleason

rygleason

That's what I was thinking and why I posted photos of it. I would really like some more feedback regarding this issue. Thanks!

10. rygleason

rygleason

11. SCC

SCC just me

take a sharp knife and the chunk of plastic off of it and then shoot the piss out of it .... and make sure you assembled it in the right spot from now on ...

12. ar15_dude

ar15_dude Believer

Looks like the guide rod caused the gouge. My guess is, an you may be able to eliminate some of these:
    1) recoil spring ***'y not seated onto the barrel far enough during assembly
    2) related to the non-stand Lasermax Guide rod (try using the factory one)
    3) recoil spring assembly installed backward (is this even possible with a G26?)

It should be easy to identify what did it: the gouge has a particular size, find the part that matches its shape/size.

I don't think the gouge will cause any problems, but something went wrong to cause it, you need to find/fix the cause.

13. rygleason

rygleason

my old Glock 26 had the lasermax, my new one has the factory guide rod. As far as the recoil spring assembly being installed backwards, the G26's set up makes it impossible to install it backwards.....

thanks everyone for your feedback. keep it coming!

14. nickhaaa

nickhaaa

same thing happened to my g26 when i first got it. the guide rod wasn't seated properly and it was difficult, but eventually was ok after some forcing, which in turn took some plastic out.... not as much as yours though. no firing issues though.

from this i learned to always have the guide rod seated properly before putting the slide back in and the problem never occurred again.

15. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

+1. Especially the second part. :wavey: -Goodspeed

16. Doug S

Doug S

If I remember correctly, this topic has been posted before, and it is not uncommon for there do be a little scraping on the dust cover. My G26 has some marks. It doesn't seem to get any worse over time.

17. Adjuster

Adjuster

Not normal at all. It is normal for there to be a little scuff in that same spot. If I am seeing your pictures correctly you are missing a pretty good chunk of plastic. I would call Glock.

18. Doug S

Doug S

Yes, this is what I was trying to describe, a scuff is a good description. I can't tell from the pictures, but I didn't realize you were talking about a large piece of missing plastic.

19. F_G

F_G

Here's your pictures for you;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. rygleason

rygleason

thanks for the feedback everyone. I took my knife and cut off the very think sliver of plastic. now it just looks like there is a scuff there. I probably made this out to be more of a deal than it really is. i will update next time I get a chance to go to the range. if anyone else has more thoughts, please chime in. Thanks!

by the way, thanks for inserting my photos into the post FG!