1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
emeritus
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the link:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-750-reloader_8_1_26745.html

Questions:

1) Should I get the Dillon die set? I'm going to order this for 9mm. I currently do NOT have dies for 9mm. Would I be better off with dies of a different make?

2) How do you seat and crimp in separate stations with three dies? Does the powder drop come with something that flares?

3) How highly do you recommend the Strong Mount? Ceiling clearance is going to be an issue with the case feeder and Strong Mount together.

Please give your thoughts and opinions. I like to do things right the first time and I have a buy once, cry once mentality. I also don't want to get it to find I should have added or omitted something.

I'm okay not having a bullet feeder. I read about the "issues" that Dillon is working on.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Here's the link:

Questions:

Please give your thoughts and opinions. I like to do things right the first time and I have a buy once, cry once mentality. I also don't want to get it to find I should have added or omitted something.

I'm okay not having a bullet feeder. I read about the "issues" that Dillon is working on.

1) Should I get the Dillon die set? I'm going to order this for 9mm. I currently do NOT have dies for 9mm. Would I be better off with dies of a different make?
Dillon has some of the best dies available. If you don't already have dies. Get the Dillon dies

2) How do you seat and crimp in separate stations with three dies? Does the powder drop come with something that flares?
The Dillon power measure does have a flaring function.

3) How highly do you recommend the Strong Mount? Ceiling clearance is going to be an issue with the case feeder and Strong Mount together.
I really like having the press elevated from the bench. If you can get the required clearance, Get it!

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
I use Dillon sizer and deprime die in station one, Station two dumps powder and puts a bell on the case. Station 3 i have a powder check either dillon or double Alpha. Station 4 I use a Redding Competition bullet seat die. Station 5 I use the dillon bullet seat crimp die, without using the seat part. If you don’t want the Redding die a lee seat crimp die works in station 5 and just seat with the Dillon. Or you can seat and crimp at station 4 or 5.
For a strong mount it all depends on your height, the height of the bench and how high is your ceiling. How are you going to reload sitting, standing, whatever you decide you want to be able to look inside of the case at station 3 with very little effort on your part.

·
emeritus
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use Dillon sizer and deprime die in station one, Station two dumps powder and puts a bell on the case. Station 3 i have a powder check either dillon or double Alpha. Station 4 I use a Redding Competition bullet seat die. Station 5 I use the dillon bullet seat crimp die, without using the seat part. If you don’t want the Redding die a lee seat crimp die works in station 5 and just seat with the Dillon. Or you can seat and crimp at station 4 or 5.
For a strong mount it all depends on your height, the height of the bench and how high is your ceiling. How are you going to reload sitting, standing, whatever you decide you want to be able to look inside of the case at station 3 with very little effort on your part.
The powder check comes with the "kit", so I will have that. Why don't you use the Dillon seat die? I want to seat and crimp in a separate step. If I understand correctly, Dillon's three die set allows this.

·
Banned
3,351 Posts
I use the Lee Factory Crimp Die on all semi-auto ammo. It just works!

(And this is from a person who is NOT normally a fan of Lee products)

By all means, get the strong mount if you can. It's a god-send!

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
You are correct on the Dillon dies. They have a separate seat and crimp dies. I have too many different die combinations. Plus senior moment
I like the Dillon bullet seat if I’m using just plain lead and wax bullets make it easier to clean the die after about 500 rds. But for everything else I like the Redding competition bullet seat die. I think it seats bullets in straighter than other dies. And if I want to change different bullets it is very easy to set the COL and go back to the original setting in just a couple of seconds.
No it does not come with the powder check. You also don't need the low powder sensor. Roller Handle is nice like it better than the ball. But some people like the ball.

·
Registered
36,205 Posts
Here's the link:

Questions:

If you have to buy dies anyway, Dillon are fine.
Yes seat & crimp are separate & there is a powder thru/flare die with each conversion.
The SM is good if you want to stand at a normal height bench. If you want to sit, then don't bother.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I'm only speaking for the 650 but the 750 is the same as far as dies are concerned. I have a seperate toolhead for each caliber I load for. I have 2 calibers that use all Dillon dies. I do prefer the Redding competition seating die because it has a dial adjustment which makes it easier to adjust the seating depth. There is nothing wrong with the Dillon dies. I don't have any powder checks on any of my toolheads and don't find them necessary. I have the strongmount and have plenty of ceiling clearance in a n 8' ceiling mounted on a 36" high bench. I also have the roller handle and think it is less likely to rub blisters on your hand.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I watched youtube videos for a couple of weeks before I started loading and that got me familiar with the process.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Since the Dillon powder funnel expands the necks and flairs the case mouth, the Dillon die sets don't have an expander. They do have a separate crimp and seat die.

If you buy a set from any other makers, a separate crimp die would also need to be purchased if you want to separate seating and crimping. The exception is the Lee 4 die set. It comes with a separate carbide FCD, but many of us around here are not fans of the post sizing concept.

Would probably do well with Dillon dies.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Here's the link:

Questions:

Buy the New Dillon dies. Forget the lee stuff. They are a PIA to setup compared to Dillon. Quality not in the same universe. Dillon comes as a 3 die set. FL Sizer, seater and taper. The caliber change kit is your "4th" die. There is a powder die that takes all of the Dillon powder funnels. I have loaded 100Ks of rounds with Dillon dies and have never had/seen an issue that would make me stray. If Dillon does not make a die, then its Redding.

Yes, powder funnel expands the case mouth and activates the powered feed. Comes with caliber change kit. Seat and TAPER in different stations.

If you reload from a bar stool, skip the strong mount. If you stand up, then consider the SM. I use a flat base from Inline Fabrication on all of my presses. Yes, I sit on a bar stool.

Inline made me flat plates with several press hole combinations. They add a great deal of press stability due to the surface contact. Similar to this, but not quick change. $35 each to the door. https://inlinefabrication.com/colle...ts/flush-mount-quick-change-system-base-plate

Check out these guys too. http://uniquetek.com/dillon-press-enhancements

Toolhead Clamp kit is a great addition. Press runs quieter and smoother.

Too Me, buying the 750 without the bullet feeder IMHO is buying it neutered. Go ahead and cry and get the Mr. Bullet Feeder - its just money.

As a side note. It looks like Dillon has acquired Ammo Bot. Should be intresting.

·
Registered
36,205 Posts
Too Me, buying the 750 without the bullet feeder IMHO is buying it neutered. Go ahead and cry and get the Mr. Bullet Feeder - its just money.

As a side note. It looks like Dillon has acquired Ammo Bot. Should be interesting.
Agree on your post except about the bullet feeder. Just me, but if you change calibers often it is just another thing to adjust & fuss with. It isn't like placing the bullet is an issue & it sort of makes you look at the powder charge, which you should be doing anyway. Case feeder yes, bullet feeder, only if I never changed calibers. Even then, bullet feeders do not work with all bullet styles. Lubed lead is an example.
On the LFCD, you can search but many will tell you to forget it. I am one that does NOT like the LFCD but for rifle or the 357sig, because it does NOT have the sizing ring which can play havoc with accuracy with some bullets.
I run Dillon dies, RCBS dies, Redding dies, then some are a mixture. I prefer the Hornady seating dies as they have a sliding sleeve to hold the bullet straight during seating. helpful for short bullets.

·
Registered
21,705 Posts
I really like having the press elevated from the bench. If you can get the required clearance, Get it!
I went with an Inline Fab Quick Change mount, I have different presses/tools and this mount lets me change them out. They have multiple mounting heights. If you are going to mount only the 750 they also have the Ultramount that is dedicated to one machine.

Get a hold of CarryTexas and get a light kit for it. You wont be sorry.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I shoot mostly coated bullets for high volume in pistol. Which in pistol I have pretty much gone to exclusively except for the occasion JHP run off.

The only rifle I do on the 650 is .223, so copper.

I was super skeptical on the Bullet Feeder at first, but once I tuned it and understood it, the change is super quick. Remember all the guts are on the tool head, so all of that stays ready to go. The feeder plate takes 30 seconds. Maybe another 2 minutes to bump the feed guide.

I always look in the brass at station 3 for correct powder charge. Bullet Feeder does not get in the way.

But, I get what you are saying. My reloading sessions are generally around 1K to 3K, so the BF just made life so much better.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Agree on your post except about the bullet feeder. Just me, but if you change calibers often it is just another thing to adjust & fuss with. It isn't like placing the bullet is an issue & it sort of makes you look at the powder charge, which you should be doing anyway. Case feeder yes, bullet feeder, only if I never changed calibers. Even then, bullet feeders do not work with all bullet styles. Lubed lead is an example.
On the LFCD, you can search but many will tell you to forget it. I am one that does NOT like the LFCD but for rifle or the 357sig, because it does NOT have the sizing ring which can play havoc with accuracy with some bullets.
I run Dillon dies, RCBS dies, Redding dies, then some are a mixture. I prefer the Hornady seating dies as they have a sliding sleeve to hold the bullet straight during seating. helpful for short bullets.
I like the MBF, but that's based on using 1 bullet for a majority of loading. I do use several other bullets, and just load them by hand. That's easier for me than multiple adjustments on the MBF.

·
Registered
36,205 Posts
I like the MBF, but that's based on using 1 bullet for a majority of loading. I do use several other bullets, and just load them by hand. That's easier for me than multiple adjustments on the MBF.
That was my point. I don't load more than 500 a pop. I don't change often but do change bullets whenever it suites me. I run 147 I make but then I also have 135 I make. Then if I win bullets at a match, it can be 124, 135 or 147, what ever is on the table.

Reactions: DubfromGA

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hum, that's interesting. The only adjustment on the bullet feeder is the little plate thing up top and the feed actuator. Which once I set it. I have had no issue moving from 115 - 147 FMJ. Too me the adjustment you will play with the most in changing bullets in same caliber is the seating depth/powder amount, which has nothing to do with BF.

Again, I agree if you are low volume and lots of variables. BTW - I eased into the feeder thing with a MrBF Mini. I was hooked, sold them off to a buddy and went all in.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
That was my point. I don't load more than 500 a pop. I don't change often but do change bullets whenever it suites me. I run 147 I make but then I also have 135 I make. Then if I win bullets at a match, it can be 124, 135 or 147, what ever is on the table.
I've gotten into 500/session too, because I'm tumbling off case lube, and that's all the tumbler can handle. But it's still nice to be able to do 500 in 20 minutes.

My main change is going from a 147 for production to a 124 for steel, but that's a smaller volume. I'm really just looking for the low-hanging fruit on time savings. Don't mind taking longer with smaller volumes.

Having the main product run faster allows me to bang out 500 while I'm waiting for a call, waiting for wife to get home, etc. It opens up more small blocks of time to productive use. I'm not loading 10k/day, or anything like that. There's no need to, when you can sneak it into spare time.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts