close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Please critique my workout

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Chevytuff19, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

I don't have much time to workout so this is what I do. I don't work out my arms since they are the "secondary muscles" worked in most of the exercises.

Tuesday an Thursday w/fairly heavy weights:

4x20 declined situps
    2x12 side dips with weight
    3x10 flat bench
    3x10 lat pulldowns
    3x10 leg extensions
    3x10 leg curls
    3x10 straight leg dead lift
    3x10 calf raises
    3x10 shrugs
    3x10 butterfly chest curls on flat bench
    3x10 inclined bench lat pulls(lay on stomach and pull weights toward you)
    3x10 squats
    2x30 forearm squeeze things...

Edited to ad: Thinking about adding a 3x10 of military press too.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Wes

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I think it is way too many sets and exercises. I think there are plenty of programs that work fine for 2 days per week that aren't this complicated. Paul Kelso, in "Power Lifitng Basics Texas Style", says 20 set limit per workout not bodypart.

Broooks Kubick has a couple of good 2 days per week programs in Dino Training and so does Kelso. If you are interested in a recommendation I'd gladly see what I can find. How about a little backgroumd. How long have you been training? Current strength? Goals? Health? Age?

Jack

3. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

Well, first off, I am in decent shape. I used to play football, baseball, and basketball. I am 23 years old and have been really concentrating on getting back into shape since around last Nov. I have dropped about 20 pounds of fat while increasing my muscle mass. I just want a total body workout that I can do twice a week and this has been working well for the past 2-3 months. If you have any advice, please feel free to give it.

Thanks,

Wes

4. DBradD

DBradD

Wes:

I think you'll find yourself doing better if you split your exercises into two groups and do one half Tuesday and the other half Thursday.

I'm with Jack. Even when I was a competitive powerlifter, I would have far shorter workouts than that. There's no way to avoid losing intensity on those later exercises.

Besides, Thursday is only 2 days after your Tuesday workout, which is far too little recovery time for all but probably abs, forearms, and biceps. Once per week is a fine schedule for most bodyparts, with abs being the major exception. If you really blast your squats, you ain't gonna recover between Tuesday and Thursday unless you're young and chemically enhanced. ;) Edit: I was sincerely joking around with that last sentence-please don't read an accusation into it. None was intended. I didn't realize how it read until I looked back at it.

That's my advice-you asked for it!

DBD

5. California Jack

OK, here's the deal. I'm twice your age. There is no way I could handle your routine. But, if it is working for you, I'm not sure why you would want to change.

I do notice one thing. You say you don't have much time to workout, but that routine of yours must take 2 hours or more, YIKES!

Here is a sample of the type of 2x per weel workout I was talking about. Though It would work much better if you could put one more day between your workouts, ie monday and Thursday...

Anyhow,

DAY 1

Squat 4x5
    Standing Press 4x5
    Bent over Barbell Row 4 x 5
    Farmers Walk one time
    Situps
    one or two sets of either calve, biceps or neck (optional)

DAY 2

Deadlift 4x5
    Bench Press 4x5
    Sand Bag Walk one time
    Side bends 2x8-15
    optional day as in day 1

The 4x5 is 2 progressively heavier warm up sets followed by 2 worksets with the same weight. Add weight when both sets of 5 can be completed.

If you are willing to spend 20 -25 minutes 3 or 4 days per week I can recommend something way different, this would actually be less workout time than you are using now.. There are a couple more 2 day per week routines I could recommend. Let me know if you are interested in hearing about them.

But with all this said, if you have something that is working, ride it until it doesn't.

Good luck,
    Jack

6. California Jack

One more thing, about your current routine. If it were me, I'd ditch the leg extensions and leg curls allowing me to work the squats harder. Squats are more important. After squat I'd do the stiff legged dead lifts.

I'd swap out the "chest curls" for standing overhead presses, presses as most refer to them.

Just my ideas for your current program. But remember; If it ain't broke........

Jack

7. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

ateamer's time-tested workout:
    Workout 1:
    Bench
    Close Grip Bench
    Military Press
    Situps

Workout 2:
    Squat
    Deadlift (every other workout)
    Pullups or Rows
    Hanging Leg Raises

Work out on Monday-Wednesday-Friday with alternating workouts. The first workout, such as Workout 1 on Monday, do three sets of three to five reps on each exercise; ab work can be done for higher reps, but try doing situps with enough weight so you can only do no more than eight reps. The second workout, such as Workout 1 done on Friday of that same week, do three sets of six to eight on each exercise. In each workout, use enough weight so that you can only get the prescribed reps. It is a good idea to not work to failure, but leave one rep in the rack. (The rep you fail on will be the one with bad form and get you hurt.)

Deadlifts are only done every other time you do workout 2, on the low-rep day.

Begin the workout with warmups (and they are just that - warmups, not work sets). Don't do any more warmups than are necessary to get ready for the work sets. Once you have done the work sets on the first exercise, no warmups are necessary with the other exercises. Go right to the work weight. Rest as short a time as possible between sets. Each workout should take no longer than 30-35 minutes.

Every six or eight weeks, on the heavy day, work up to a heavy single. If you have competent spotters, don't be afraid to max out and test your strength, as long as you can do it with proper form.

Drink a gallon of milk a day, along with good meals. Mix in some protein powder with a few of those glasses of milk and you won't help but get significantly stronger and bigger.

8. T_man357

T_man357

Looks pretty solid to me!!