close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Playing around with "film color redering" in dxo

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by ponykilr, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

I am taking test pics in raw and playing around in DXO PRO to see what I can make without photoshop.

These are 3 of my cat Gix(jix) that I added film color rendering and grain. I also messed with the saturation and contrast. Fuji Provia and t-max.

This program is so versatile...and fun! I havent really even scratched the surface of it.

BTW, see the little "tinted" areas between the whiskers of the 1st two pics, that is in the raw file, not a byproduct of dxo, any ideas? when I blow it up to over 100% it seems to go away somewhat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Here is one I took the same day, coverted by Nikonview PS plugin and tweeked as a tiff. I like them all, they all have a much different "feel".

[​IMG]

3. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

that's weird. never seen it before.

4. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

I like the look of this pic best.

interesting.....the tinted area isn't there in the second version of this pic, but its there in the first version of it in your first post.

5. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Nip, I see what you mean, I bet it is something to do with dxo's decryption of the raw info. When I said that it is there in the raw file, I am viewing it in dxo. When I view it in nikon view it isnt.....found the first bug. :(

I think the dxo pics have a lot of sharpening because on top of the default sharp setting, I added unsharp mask to them as well. I wanted a really "gritty" look and also added film grain. Both of them have a blown highlight on the far side of the face, I couldnt get it back without darkening the image too much. The afternoon sun fooled me.

I actually like the last pic best too. It just looks clean and the color pops well.

I am still trying to figure out if I need any new software at all, or can nikonview and PS handle everything.

I have a wedding coming up and I need to decide if I want to shoot raw or fine jpg.... more experimenting this weekend.:headscratch:

6. spober

spober

i like the sepia.the 4th picture.has more :feeling than plan black and white.

7. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Yeah, I love tinted BW. blue or warm tint depending on the image.
    I converted a few raw images this weekend(went camping and fishing on the river) in Nikon Capture NX(trying it for a few days) and it is MUCH easier to use than Nikon Capture 4.

It seems to have all the stuff dxo has, and is cheaper. The images look more like what I am used to seeing, but I can get the super sharpened film look if i want it too.

Here are a few of my brother-in-law. The catfish in the pic is 27lbs, we have caught them up to 55lbs here in Smithfield.

Used my little 50mm f/1.8 for these, it is an absolute gem!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

for something that important, RAW. ;)

9. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

Yeah, you are right. It will be my first since I started my business and the first one in digital.

The more i use raw, I don't see any reasons not to use it. You sure can rescue a badly exposed shot that would be lost as a jpg.

Wedding is outdoor, right up my alley. Booked it this week for May 26. She loves B&W, only wants 6 formals and will give me a list this week of who will be in which one. Reception coverage and a pre-wedding engagement portrait session as well.