close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plausible/Bull manure.

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Mar 5, 2010.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

Back in the mid 90's my Cousin who is a farmer told me he had bought an SKS rifle. Now I have never known him to be a big bull ****ter, but he told me he took the SKS and a huge butt load of ammo and shot down a silo like in this pic. He said he worked his way around till it fell over. Do you call plausible or bull manure:headscratch:
    [​IMG]

2. gh0st614

gh0st614

that sounds like the type of thing you would do over a weekend with ALOT of shooting. I mean its possible for sure, but its not something a SKS would get done in a couple hours or anything.

3. crazyrec12

crazyrec12 cornbread

I'd call that a hot fresh pie !

4. gh0st614

gh0st614

its only mortar and stone..

5. PBCounty

PBCounty

It's possible of course.....but that doesn't mean it happened. A pressure cleaner could take down one of those monkeys with enough time and water.

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

There used to be a video floating around of a WWII training movie about the Garand that showed the effect the M2 ball ammor on a 4 inch concrete wall, it was blowing chunks out the backside like nobodies business. If the silo was old and crappy, and your friend had a huge supply of ammo and boredom... But it doesn't sound likely.

7. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

While silos are strong structures because they evenly distribute weight and pressure, they can be very delicate. Especially the old block tile one shown.

I saw a video once, something like americas funniest vids, where a guy nearly killed himself knocking blocks out of one with a sledgehammer. The thing fell unexpectedly after the guy stepped to the side.

So, knock out a few key blocks(just crumbling them with rifle fire), and that booger will come down.

Rod

8. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

It's plausible Mark. The 7.62x39 will break most bricks, from the red clay stile to the cinder blocks. Take a couple thousand rounds I'd bet.

9. RioKid

RioKid

I used to have a 7.62 and it would take big chunks out of concrete. I have no doubt that over time he could have brought the silo down.

10. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

11. G31

G31 Millennium Member

I believe it. It doesn't take much to drop a structure like that. I bet it could be done in a few hundred rounds if the shots are good. Most brick and concrete block isn't very strong by itself, but as a unit can last forever. You can break red brick and concrete building block (cinder block) by just dropping a regular hammer from waist high on it. Start punching out bricks from the structure and it will weaken fast.

12. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

The video recreation of the two bank robbers in California showed one of them tearing down a wall the cops were hiding behind, they used AK47s and 7.62x39 mm AP. Yes it would be possible but time consuming. :whistling:

13. Free Radical

The voids in the cinder block are not left hollow in the completed structure. They are filled with rebar and concrete grout. This results in a building that equals a solid concrete structure. You're not gonna shoot that down with a couple of hundred rounds.

14. G31

G31 Millennium Member

Maybe in a silo (don't know), but most structures do not get cell fill in all cells, and most do not get rebar either. Beyond that, cell fill is very weak concrete, not like the 3000 psi used in your slab or driveway.

Guess it depends on the construction of the silo. If there is rebar through each cell, there's no way it will crumble unless the rebar is cut. You could knock out all the block and it would be a wire cage. I've seen tall industrial silos built this way (using 3/4 rebar in each cell and 3000-7000 psi cell fill), but a lot of short ones I've seen are not built that way (not an expert on the construction of silos though).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  15. MCPreacher

MCPreacher

I cut down a big tree with a shotgun a 000 buck.... so I would say it is possible. How PROBABLE is up to you... you know him better than we do.

16. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

I once shot a tree down with a mosin nagant and I've used a Mas 36 and French ammo once to shoot up concrete blocks. So its plasable but highly unlikely.

17. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

I've cut down some big pine trees with a 12 gauge. And while the end result was achieved, it was not something I'd want to do again. I was pretty tired of shooting by the time the tree came down.

Anyway, I suppose it could be done to a silo like that, especially if it's an old one. I would imagine it took a ton of ammo though.

18. Free Radical

That is completely inaccurate. Modern building codes require the same steel reinforcement as that of a concrete structure. The grout used for infilling the cores of CMU's (concrete masonry units) is of similar strength to that used in concrete walls.

19. Marc1956

Marc1956 CLM #66

My only thought is "Why"? Of course, if it was a 10mm, only one shot would have been necessary! :supergrin:

20. G31

G31 Millennium Member

Again, not a code expert, but I do know a bit about concrete (did QC for CEMEX out of college). In any case, I doubt an old silo is gonna meet building codes of today. I know that is a change in subject, but I hate to hijack the thread. I will not argue with code stuff or construction requirements...I'm only using what I've seen on various job sites, and I've never seen a common structural wall (residential or commercial building) with all cells filled and all cells containing rebar.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010