close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

plates video

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by S.Kargoh, Nov 1, 2011.

1. S.Kargoh

S.Kargoh

I posted this in the albany gssf match thread. But in case you didn't see it because you don't have any interest in albany, oregon.....

Here is a vid I was able to shoot by resting phone on bench. Shows my plate runs.

I have been a little faster in past matches.

You guys with 12 second totals seem like mutants to me.

Anyway , let me know if you see anything goofy that's easy o improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4_otfdXd4U

2. CUTigers2002

CUTigers2002

3. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

4. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

good shooting, but I noticed the RO didn't ask "shooter ready" after ur first run.

He just stated, "stand by", and he didn't state, "shooter make ready", after every run.

That's how we ran the plates at Charleston, and I'm not sure that's even correct, but after every run, I state, "shooter, make ready" and watch the shooter load, then I state, "shooter ready?", then I state, "stand by", then a pause, then the 'beep'.

Is that correct Kitty or anyone else?

Because, the GSSF team there watched me a few times and were satisfied.

Greg

5. SARDG

SARDG

Technically... by the Chief Range Officer Guide for GSSF:
    Ask competitor if they understand the course of fire and if they want a sight picture.
    Once competitor is satisfied, direct the competitor to “Load and make ready”.
    Direct the competitor to take the ready position (elbows touching ribcage, muzzle parallel to ground or below) and resume range commands.
    Ask shooter “Are you ready?”
    Do not ask them to “nod when ready”. If they do not respond, move onto next command.
    Give “Standby” command once shooter indicates they are ready.
    Wait 1-3 seconds before activating timer/buzzer. Stay on the competitors strong hand side and position timer slightly behind shoulder.
    Keep your eyes on the pistol. Not on the targets.
    The scorekeeper will verify targets were engaged in the correct manner.
    After the competitor completes the CoF, say “If you are finished, unload and show clear”.
    After confirming an unloaded firearm and the pistol is pointed at the berm, ask
    “If gun is clear, slide down, pull trigger and lock slide back.”
    Competitors wishing to place pistol in a range bag/GLOCK box may do so after the “pull trigger” command.
    Make certain that all pistols are safely secured before going downrange.

I ask the shooter if they want to take an unloaded sight picture.
    I give the "load and make ready" command - common to all pistol competition that I can think of.
    Then I frequently say "Shooter ready?" instead of "Are you ready?" because I fall back into that from other competitions.
    Then "Standby"
    BUZZ

IF the competitor doesn't reload on their own between strings, I will say "reload". Most shooters don't wait for a reload command to reload. I don't wait for a command to reload when I shoot.

After the last string, as above.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  6. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

Yep I followed all the above.

But in that video the RO didn't.
    Greg

7. SARDG

SARDG

I rarely have to say or worry about a shooter reloading - particularly experienced shooters, so that command or equivalent doesn't get said.

Some ROs tend to skip the Shooter ready? or Are you ready? command and simply say "standby" when the shooter assumes the low ready. I don't like to do that at I use the entire cadence as a countdown for the shooter: ...Shooter ready ...standby ...BUZZ.

8. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

I agree I do the same as u.

9. Melissa5

Melissa5

Good shooting on those plates! Even though seconds go by so fast, it still looks slow on video.

10. mike g35

mike g35

I'm no master shooter, and thus far all of my preparations for GSSF matches hasn't helped because of self applied pressure affecting my nerves but you asked for tips so I got one for you. My plate times, at the range mind you, were averaging right around, 4.32. Then I learned to move the gun as soon as it recoiled. Try that, and I noticed that you seem to be waiting for plates to fall before moving, don't, shoot then move regardless of hits. All in all though, that was some good shooting for a match enviroment. I stopped watching plates fall and started moving the gun on the recoil and stopped looking for a perfect sight picture before firing (I just get a somewhat clear sight picture then fire) and now my runs average in the low 3's, I have shot under 3 but not with any consistency.

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I was gonna offer tips, but then you called me a mutant:tongueout:

12. mike g35

mike g35

Hmmmm where did I get my tips???:winkie: Between Ron, bama, and Rob Leatham I think I gave and recieved pretty good advice. I don't know if I stated the tips they gave me correctly but I know they work.

13. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Now that could be a compliment, it all depends what you "Mutated" from. :tongueout::faint:

Don

14. Dr. Rod

Dr. Rod Millennium Member

What Mike said is good. When you get good at that, just move the gun across the plate rack at a consistent pace and pull the trigger at the correct timing. The speed will be determined by how fast you move the gun, not how fast you can aim. Don't watch the plate or worry about recoil. Work on the timing even if you are hitting the bar below the plate. Later work on hitting the plate. Then work on hitting the plate in the center of the plate. Force yourself to move the gun faster, that will make your trigger finger work faster to keep up. Don't shoot the gun with your hand, shoot the gun with your trigger finger only.

15. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Fixed it for ya.

No way I want to see my name in FRONT of those two, as I am NOT in their class. I'm a mere mortal, not mutants like those super shooters. For my name to be uttered in the same breath is a compliment.

For the record, my best plate time is a 15.53 shot at Morganton this year, Competition division. That's a 3.88 average string.

16. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to try to apply them at my next match.

17. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Ede, I noticed something you do that can be corrected.
    After you shoot, you don't have to make the bang-ping sounds of simulated shooting and plates dropping. That should save you a little time:supergrin:

18. mike g35

mike g35

:rofl:Hmmm making bang-ping sounds, thats an idea. First I gotta get my nerves under control enough to hit the darn plates though!!!:rofl:

19. mike g35

mike g35

Call em like I see em. You 3 guys have helped me alot, and I appreciate it. As for shooting as fast as the other two, you'll get there.

20. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

:rofl:... and there are other sounds too...:rofl:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011