close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plates Question ?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by elfjr, Nov 27, 2003.

1. elfjr

elfjr

Obviously since I am asking, I have never been to a gssf match, or any shooting match for that matter. In the plates competition, at what distance from the firing line are the plates set up? and how many are there? About what kind of time frame am I going to need to get into to even have a chance of winning? Also since I don't have a bunch of spare plates laying around I was thinking of making a stand and setting up clay pigeons to practice on (my theory is that since the clay pigeons are smaller than the plates, if I get good at shooting the clay pigeons then the plates should be much easier)let me know what you think of this?

Thanks in advance for you help.

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

The plate rack is 11 yards from the firing line. There are 6 each 8" diameter. I think there is a diagram of all the stages on the www.gssfonline.com web site.

The clay pegion idea may be a good one. I use 8" paper plates tacked to cardboard since I don't have a plate rack either.

As far as times it depends on which category you are shooting and the particular match. Some matches you may win the AmCiv Category with a total score of 65 - 70 and in others it may take 60 - 65. As for U/L Masters if you are note shooting a total score in the low 40's its very unlikely you will win. I expect to see a sub 40 score in that class any time, there has been many close calls.

You can also find all the scores from past several years worth of matches on the www.gssfonline.com web site. This may help your curiosity.;c ;c ;c

3. elfjr

elfjr

Thanks for the reply the gssf website was very helpfull, i like the paper plates idea too. thanks for the info.;c ;c