GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
NRA Patron Member
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I can't find a search function to find the answer. I know Glock says not to shoot lead bullets out of a factory barrel. How about plated or coated bullets? Berry's plated, Bayou Bullets coated, RMR Bonded Hollow Point, and the like. Are these safe out of a factory Glock barrel or should I get an aftermarket barrel to shoot the above types of bullets? Thanks for your answers everyone.

·
Native Mainiac
20,475 Posts
I've shot thousands of Berry's out of my Glocks without a problem. I do however clean them real good after each outing and shoot maybe 200 rounds per trip.

I'd just check your barrel every once in a while for signs of leading just to be sure to be sure.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I don't think the competitors at our club shoot much of anything but coated bullets*, and about a third of them got a GLOCK 19 too!

*Probably loaded lighter for faster recovery.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I've shot many thousands of Xtreme plated and Bayou in my 9mm and .45's. I started casting my own bullets and coating them with the Hi-Tek. Had no problems with those either. All are good to go.

·
Registered
802 Posts
raw uncoated cast lead I would caution against. I've ruined a barrel that way, but I've never had a problem with quality coated bullets from vendors, and supported with my frequent cleaning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thousands of Xtreme 9mm and .40 S&W plated bullets through my Glocks. The shoot great and I have NO cleaning issues. Just know that you only lightly taper-crimp plated bullets. If you apply a heavy crimp, they won't fly good. At least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts
Plated and coated are fine in Glocks, they do not lead.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
I use coated w/o much of an issue. I say much, as I have noted the 10MM heavy loads will leave some residue in the barrel. I think I am simply pushing them too hard. 10 may be pushing the limits of coated effectiveness.

.40 is my bread and butter and I have lost track of the thousands of rounds of black bullets intl coated I have thrown downrange with nary an issue or hiccup.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Except for self-defense loads I run coated in all of my guns, including Glocks. Have for years without any problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts