Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that I'd try plated bullets again when Cabela's had XTreme bullets on sale. I had not gotten good results with Berry's, but that was about 10 years ago, and I was seating and crimping in one step.

I bought the 124 and 147 grain 9mm bullets. Although my Glock 17 with KKM barrel seems to shoot the 124s like laser beams shooting nice tight groups, and the RRA 9mm AR upper seems to do okay with both bullets, the Rock Island 1911 and stock Glock barrels throw fliers. It's like bad to the point that I don't feel safe shooting them, because the fliers are going like 4 to 6 inches out of the group, nipping the edge of the target.

I had been following the guidelines for loading plated bullets from the article in the Dillon Blue Press catalog a while ago. I am using a taper crimp die separate from the seating operation. Seating die is backed out, and not crimping. I tried a Factory Crimp Die, but I really can't tell a difference between the two. I can swap over to coated or jacketed bullets, without getting fliers, so it's not the shooter.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong, or is it just kind of common for plated bullets not to get along with some barrels?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I shoot some Barrys, and some Rainier Ballistics, and a metric ton of Xtreme plated bullets. I have not experienced anything like this in lots of different pistols and barrels from factory to aftermarket.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is over crimping which is really easy to do with a soft plated bullet. if you over crimp it will swadge the bullet down in diameter.

Maybe pull down one of your loaded rounds and see what the bullet looks like? it should barely have any mark on it and definitely not a ring around the bullet from the case mouth.

Reactions: sigman69

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I've had good luck with the 124 grain Xtremes. I did have a problem with Georgia Arms 147 grain throwing fliers, keyholing. Was told by their rep that they had trouble with 147's doing that in Glocks. They replaced my whole order no other questions asked. Since then I don't use 147 plated, but I do use 147 Hi-Tek coated bullets without issue.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,235 Posts
What powder and amount are you using? what is your COL?
Like what has been said pull a round and see what it looks like, also try longer and shorter on your COL. You also could have gotten a bad batch. I had one, one time sold them to two of my friends and they had the same problem. And yes they new the problem that I had.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I think the plating on X-Treme bullets is pretty durable.

Last year, before I placed my first order with them, I pulled some bullets from Freedom Munitions 9mm 115 gr rounds (they use X-Treme brass and bullets.
I measured the crimp at the case mouth before pulling, with Harbor Freight calipers, at 0.370. Never had an issue shooting them.
Ammunition Copper Bullet Metal Brass

Don't have a picture, but my crimp with X-Treme 115 gr 9mm is at 0.375 and I've had no issues with flyers with Glock, Beretta, Sig or 3rd Gen S&W.

Dave

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
What is the diameter before, and after seating? Plated bullets can be soft and swaged to a smaller diameter upon seating, not unlike a cast bullet. I've seated and pulled plated bullets that have lost more than 1 thousandth of diameter -- especially near the heal. My Glocks don't tolerate undersized bullets. At all. I prefer a slightly larger expander plug when I have problems with bullets swaging down by the case necks.

In Dave's picture above, that is a lot of crimp. Surprised that there haven't been issues with accuracy in the Glock.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
In Dave's picture above, that is a lot of crimp. Surprised that there haven't been issues with accuracy in the Glock.
I got those to use in matches when Freedom Munitions was running some deals. Although I'm more accurate with a S&W auto, I think any difference in accuracy between S&W and Glock, in my case anyway, is operator error. :supergrin:

Dave

·
On the Border
15,700 Posts
I think the plating on X-Treme bullets is pretty durable.

Last year, before I placed my first order with them, I pulled some bullets from Freedom Munitions 9mm 115 gr rounds (they use X-Treme brass and bullets.
I measured the crimp at the case mouth before pulling, with Harbor Freight calipers, at 0.370. Never had an issue shooting them.
View attachment 399669

Don't have a picture, but my crimp with X-Treme 115 gr 9mm is at 0.375 and I've had no issues with flyers with Glock, Beretta, Sig or 3rd Gen S&W.

Dave
Are those crimp marks on the bullets? Holy crap, that's a lot of crimp, if so.

·
On the Border
15,700 Posts
Yes, there was a pretty substantial dent in the bullet. That's why I figured the plating was pretty durable.

Dave
Ya, but that can't be good for accuracy. Mine don't really even have a mark. And I've noticed that my .357 X-Tremes are not as accurate as my .358 moly in Glock barrels (which is really all I use).

The plated bullets are OK for USPSA. I can group them inside 2 inches at ~18 yards offhand on a good day. But shooting really tight groups at closer distance, I can see a significant difference.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What powder and amount are you using? what is your COL?
Like what has been said pull a round and see what it looks like, also try longer and shorter on your COL.
1.125"
4.0 to 4.2 gr TiteGroup
Don't have velocity available at the moment, but it was worked up to make about 132 power factor from an OEM Glock 17 barrel.
OAL and crimp dictated mostly by an M&P Pro barrel with a short leade and tight chamber.
Since I can only use the loads in a couple barrels anyway at the moment, I could try easing off the crimp a little and using a longer OAL. The coated bullets shoot really well across the board with the current settings though.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,235 Posts
1.125"
4.0 to 4.2 gr TiteGroup
Don't have velocity available at the moment, but it was worked up to make about 132 power factor from an OEM Glock 17 barrel.
OAL and crimp dictated mostly by an M&P Pro barrel with a short leade and tight chamber.
Since I can only use the loads in a couple barrels anyway at the moment, I could try easing off the crimp a little and using a longer OAL. The coated bullets shoot really well across the board with the current settings though.
for what bullet

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,235 Posts
Try 1.135 and longer for the 147. and back off on the crimp. If you have a case gauge just run the die down until they gauge then just a tad more. Forget measurements

·
Registered
39,327 Posts
What bullet dia? I run 0.357" in everything 9mm with plated or coated lead. As noted, most oem glock bbls do not tolerate any reduction in bullet dia below 0.356". I see a lot od tmbling bullets by ,any reloaders every week. Almost always running 0.355-0.356" dia.

·
On the Border
15,700 Posts
sciolist, what brand of moly bullet are you using? I'm always into trying something that will help accuracy.

Dave
They're Bear Creek 150gr RN, and I think they are out of production. I used to shoot them for both match and practice, but I went to XTR's when the supply dried up. I have about 35k or so left, so will just use them for tight stuff until I find something else as good.

But I love the cleanliness and consistency of the XTR's.

·
On the Border
15,700 Posts
What bullet dia? I run 0.357" in everything 9mm with plated or coated lead. As noted, most oem glock bbls do not tolerate any reduction in bullet dia below 0.356". I see a lot od tmbling bullets by ,any reloaders every week. Almost always running 0.355-0.356" dia.
You know a lot more about this than me, but I think diameter and hardness are critical bullet factors, at least in Glock barrels. My 150gr moly with 3gr of 320 has got to be close to the ideal load for a production 34. After shooting 75k or whatever of the 147gr XTR/WST ammo, I was playing around with my old match ammo, and it really is a lot better.

I think it's all about the gas seal and burn rate. And 320 is just a tad faster than WST. So if I can stay away from 310, I should be set for life on powder. :)

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,235 Posts
Xtreme bullets are .355 for 115 and 124, .356 for 135 and 147 grain bullets. Other than that one batch of either 135 or 147 grain bullets, i have not had any trouble with tumbling. At GSSF matches I have seen few people that have tumbling problems. Maybe one in two to 3 matches. But then I don’t get to see everyone targets. A lot of variations on what people use.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.