close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plated Bullets Keyhole in Glock Barrels??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Chuckc, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Chuckc

Chuckc

Yesterday at a GSSF match I had a RSO tell me that Plated bullets will keyhole (tumble) when shot in a Glock barrel. This is more apparent at longer ranges - say 25 yards.
    The conversation started when scoring one of my 5 to Glock strings and one hole was slightly out of round at the 25 yd target. This was with my G26.
    I have not heard of this before and after shooting thousands of rounds of plated 124 gr bullets I'm a little surprised. However there is always something new to learn so I thought I'd ask the members of this forum for their comments/input.

2. dkf

dkf

Go down to the reloading forum. Some plated bullets like lower velocities and can get unstable at higher velocities. There are variables here you can't just say "Plated bullets keyhole in a Glock barrel" and thats it.

3. SNH Glocks

SNH Glocks

I have fired many thousands of plated bullets in my Glocks and have not noticed any keyholing.

4. avenues165

avenues165

I have fired about 500 rounds of remanufactured rounds with plated bullets in 357 sig labeled at 1,220fps through my Glock. My Glock is a G24, so I was most likely exceeding 1,220fps, and very likely exceeding 1,300fps.

Shot straight and true, no keyholing and decent groups. In fact, they were shooting straight out past 100 yards.

My experience from one remanufacturer.

5. kaech

kaech

^^^this! QFT (quoted for truth)

6. attrapereves

attrapereves

I've had no problems shooting Berrys plated bullets through my 9mm Glocks. However, Berrys does recommend keeping the velocity around or below 1100fps.

I won't shoot them through my 10mm because the higher velocity would cause keyholing.

Now that I can get FMJ bullets almost as cheap, I tend to buy them over plated bullets. Also, plated bullets are slightly trickier to reload because you have to be sure not to overcrimp and damage the bullet casing.

7. SNH Glocks

SNH Glocks

I use Berry's and Rainier in my G20 and G29 without any problems.

8. km625

km625

I use mostly Berry 124gr flat-points and they only keyhole if I crimp a bit too tight and it breaks through the plating.

So now I set the crimp die to just flatten out the belled portion of the neck and keyholing went away.

km

9. HK Dan

HK Dan

Its bull****. Now, if the plated bullet is seated, then pressed in and reseated it WILL tumble. I've seen then sideways at 10 yards, but that is the only condition I know of that makes them tumble.

10. Chuckc

Chuckc

I have moved this thread to the reloading forum at the suggestion of some of the comments. :wavey:

11. NailShooter

NailShooter

WTF is "is seated, then pressed in and reseated"?¿

I have reloaded for 30+ yrs and have successfully shot untold thousands of plated bullets and have no idea what that means. Never had a single Rainier key hole.....

Best to reload when sober.

Nail

12. Keyhole

Keyhole

This thread got my attention!

13. AK74play

AK74play

18 Glocks in my collection, 4 different calibers and untold thousands of rounds. I DO NOT reload and with factory loaded ammo I have NEVER seen a keyhole from any of them.:dunno:

14. owl6roll

owl6roll

Huuuummmmmm......

15. dkf

dkf

I figure he is talking about reloading a pulled plated bullet or shortening the OAL by pushing the bullet down further with the bullet seating die.(like you may do when setting up the die)

16. scccdoc

scccdoc

The RSO isn't a reloader.Don't take his/her advice! DOC

17. L90814

L90814

I have had it happen with plated 124 grain bullets, but it was easily corrected by loading longer. Initially they were at 1.125 OAL, but going to 1.142 corrected the tumbling.