close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plated .45 SWC's in revolver?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by HAMMERHEAD, Mar 7, 2010.

1. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I've got a lot of Rainier .452" 200 grain plated SWC's for my .45acp, they work great in the auto loader.
    Can I use them in a Redhawk with a light roll crimp? I would be seating and crimping in two separate steps.

These would be light plinker loads, probably 750 fps, so there shouldn't be too much pull in a big heavy revolver.

Anyone crimping plated bullets in revolvers?

I know the proper bullet is a lead/jacketed bullet with a crimp groove/cannalure, but I have a lot of the plated bullets, and would like to keep buying them. I also plan on using them in a .45 Colt single shot rifle.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. Bones507

Bones507

I dont see why not so long as the load isnt too heavy like you said. I loaded some Berrys plated 230 grs in 45 Colt cases and shot them out of my Blackhawk with no problems at all. Should work for you also.
    Load up 25 or so and give it a try, as a friend of mine says 'Whats the worst that can happen ?"

3. srd

srd

Another option is to buy a cannulure tool if you have that many and are worried about the crimping groove. The tool works rather well and doesnt deform the bullet. In your case it would pay for itself in short order. Just my OP.

4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Why not just taper crimp them? That load doesn't sound heavy enough to cause bullet creep.

Also, see Speer's advice about crimping 200gr LSWC in #13 (I don't know if it's in #14).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010