close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plate rack plans? for real?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by councilman24, Jun 29, 2003.

1. councilman24

councilman24

Ok, does anybody have plate rack plans available? Not walk down and pick them up off the ground but a real, pull the rope rack. This is my excuse to buy a welder and I'd rather not reinvent the wheel. I looked at the racks at Ft. Wayne. I should have took a picture but was too disgusted with my shooting to hang around. I think I remember enough of the design to duplicate it but measurements would be nice.;)

Thanks,

Terry

2. DaleRhea

DaleRhea

Mike Gibson makes the best plate racks. They are cheaper than welding machines and won't make you go blind.

http://www.mgmtargets.com/

8^)

Dale

3. johnhurd

johnhurd Millennium Member

:)

Bianchi is 8" plates on 20" centers

4. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

councilman24,

I am about 90 percent finished with a design of my own. So far, it allows for:

Complete plate change-out in about 12 seconds.
    Reversible plates.
    Pull-cord reset (normal) with plates above the bar.
    Can be set up for hanging mode, where plates just dangle, and swing when hit - making reset unnecessary.
    Vertical front legs, making skyward ricorcets much less likely.
    American AR-500 steel.
    20 inch between centers between plates.
    Bianchi height.

HOWEVER:

I have not yet built the first one - let alone tested it.

All I have are a stack of sketches. (They are to scale - I'm an engineer)

The cost of the steel alone is 500+ (The right steel, AR 500, is 3 to 4 times the price of T-1 steel. AR-400 costs about half of AR-500, and may work for limited use.)

BUT:

I have thought of a company name - "BANG & CLANG" - to use if I decide to market them.;e

Let me know if you are interested in looking at the drawings . . .

5. councilman24

councilman24

But why does all the steel have to be AR500? In fact, I figure the legs can be replacable wood. ;) No ricochets there. The racks at Ft. Wayne seemed to have an piece of hard steel protecting the hinges and structure of the reset bar, but the rest looked like softer steel. Really only needs to resist splatter. So I see 8' or 9' x 4'' hard steel protection below the plates, hard plates and the rest can be softer. In fact, I bought some 500 steel plates from Lawenforcement target and set them on a 2x4 take down saw horse with extra long legs. Also the bases will hold them hanging from galvanized barn door track. That would need protecting so I haven't tried it yet.

My goal is lighter, cheaper, take down and mobile for personnal practice. And if I buy a welder and make one I'll have BOTH a welder and plate rack.:cool:

I'll email you about the drawings.

Thanks

Terry

6. G7

G7 Mostly Metric

True about the AR-500, in fact the various shapes ( angle, C-channel, tubes, etc. are not available in AR-500, 400 or even plain Abrasion Resistant (AR-235 ???) ).

A wooden base will work for a while. That is what I'm using now, with plates that operate in "DANGLE" mode only. The plates are welded to hinges that are screwed into a 2x4. The edge of the 2x4 is protected by mild steel C-channel, which also stiffens it.

That "inverted" rack was cheap to build, but it only helped my shooting up to a point. I now need to break the habit of looking for the swinging plates for hit-confirmation, which is slowing me down.

This weekend I'll take some pictures if it to illustrate what bullet splatter does to wood over time.

7. councilman24

councilman24

G7

Don't worry about the splatter pictures. I've got it at home. I was thinking wood only for the legs. I guess they might get enough spatter there too.

Thanks,

Terry