Plano Office Workers Defending Selves From Attack

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Moonfish, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

Excellent article that paints concealed carry in a positive light as a means for personal defense.

Plano Office Workers Defending Selves From Attack
    http://cbs11tv.com/local/plano.office.attacks.2.1474015.html

Jane Slater
    PLANO (CBS 11 / TXA 21)

Located off a busy street just north of The Shops of Willow Bend in Plano, workers at an office complex say they have been repeated victims of break-ins, burglaries and recently a daylight attack.

"We had someone that was actually assaulted 10:15 in the morning in the parking lot in the rear of the building," said Scott Hill, a local businessman.

Hill said before the latest attack they believe the same suspect broke into their office. An employee confronted the suspect, who they say was wearing a bandana around his face to conceal his identity

The situation had everyone in Hill's office on edge, but he says they were armed and ready should the attacker return a third time.

"There are those in the building who have a proper license to carry a firearm and if we needed to defend ourselves we would certainly do that within the bounds of the law," said Hill.

A few doors down, GRIN Pediatric Dentistry and Elvebak Orthodontics said they have been victims of four burglaries since 2008.

"Each time (the suspect) came we kept doing more and more stuff--we installed cameras on the outside we had cameras on the inside, we put up after third break-in strobe lights outside, horns outside," says office manager Kathi Flores. "Anything and everything to stop them or at least deter them."

When their office heard of this attack, they said they decided they needed to do even more. So Friday they brought in a martial arts expert to help the staff of mostly women defend themselves against potential threats.

"I think you have to be smart and look outside the box and not always think you're living inside a bubble," says Flores.

With self-defense techniques now under Ashley Sanders belt, she says she felt more confident leaving the office at night. "We have been on this routine watching each other walk to our cars after work. Now I think we will still watch each other but now we will have confidence in ourselves," said Sanders.

Plano police said they were investigating the incidents.

2. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Sounds like they might get to test out the Castle Doctrine soon. I'm glad they are being proactive and doing something about it.

3. GlockPride

GlockPride M&P

Go Get you some ladies! Take your businesses and neighborhoods BACK!

No ONE ELSE is going to do it for Ya, NOT the Police, not the city council, not the mayor, EACH of US has to do it.

4. Moonfish

Moonfish CLM

I just had to post this comment at the site. :)

5. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Well said.

6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator

What would the Castle Doctrine do for them that Texas' use of force laws prior to it's adoption would not have done?

7. bluelineman

bluelineman Infidel كافر

Wouldn't it be the civil immunity part? Correct me if I'm wrong.