Glock Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My parents are coming up for Christmas, and me and my dad are planning on building a reloading bench/table. I'm trying to get into reloading and figured I'd start with the bench. I think I want to use a Hornady or RCBS single stage, I've just for some reason always liked Hornady, and think I'd like to use their bullets but really have no idea. I want to build a smaller bench/table I don't want to take up too much room in our spare room.

Does anyone have a good like to plan that I can build to my scale, or have any recommendations on height or legs or what to use for the top.

Thank any help would be grealy appreciated

I'm sure I could just google it but figured yall could point me in the right direction or a good thread

So I got it finished here are some pics

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
I just got a good saw and made one, no plans.

4x4 for the legs. 2x4s around the top, and near the bottom for a shelf. Another set around the outside near the middle for extra stability.

For the top, I put two more 2x4's *inside* the other 2x4's to provide more support for the top? For the top itself I used 3/4" plywood, but I'm going to redo that part. I'm going to take the plywood off, put 2x12's across the top and then put the plywood back on top of that. The plywood is just for a smoother surface, but it doesn't provide quite enough support for the press.

The table is 6' x 4', or something like that (I forget the depth), I wanted plenty of workspace. It's already pretty heavy, adding those 2x12's across the top will make it even more so. You definitely want some stability.

One last thing.... the table was *perfectly* level in the middle of the garage. But when I pushed it against the wall... the concrete had a slope along the wall. I bought some "levelers" from Fastenal. You drill a hole in the bottom of the leg, there's a metal piece that gets driven into there, and the "foot" screws up into it.

Here's a picture of the foot:
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=0476662&ucst=t

Don't see the insert piece on there right now.

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
My parents are coming up for Christmas, and me and my dad are planning on building a reloading bench/table. I'm trying to get into reloading and figured I'd start with the bench. I think I want to use a Hornady or RCBS single stage, I've just for some reason always liked Hornady, and think I'd like to use their bullets but really have no idea. I want to build a smaller bench/table I don't want to take up too much room in our spare room.

Does anyone have a good like to plan that I can build to my scale, or have any recommendations on height or legs or what to use for the top.

Thank any help would be grealy appreciated

I'm sure I could just google it but figured yall could point me in the right direction or a good thread
What's your level of wood working skill? Mine being about a 2(on a scale of 10 of course)... There's a ton of plans out there.... if you google image "Reloading Bench setup" you'll see a gazillion ideas.

Here's a couple things you might like, depending on your level of skill... (The first two are "Just add Lumber" type plans)

http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-144...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1292290394&sr=8-1

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/diy-projctpad06.pdf (#3 or #5 would probably be best.. unless you want to reload on a shelf.. :) )

http://www.bghi.us/index.php?x=bench

How high you want the bench, is going to depend on how tall you are, do you want to load standing or seated, and some other things. It's tough to build a bench before getting a press, cuz you'll almost find it's either to low or to high.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's your level of wood working skill? Mine being about a 2(on a scale of 10 of course)... There's a ton of plans out there.... if you google image "Reloading Bench setup" you'll see a gazillion ideas.

Here's a couple things you might like, depending on your level of skill... (The first two are "Just add Lumber" type plans)

http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-144...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1292290394&sr=8-1

http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/fliers/diy-projctpad06.pdf (#3 or #5 would probably be best.. unless you want to reload on a shelf.. :) )

http://www.bghi.us/index.php?x=bench

How high you want the bench, is going to depend on how tall you are, do you want to load standing or seated, and some other things. It's tough to build a bench before getting a press, cuz you'll almost find it's either to low or to high.

my level is about a 2, but my dad is about a 8, he's built 2 pole barn almost all by himself, and tons of other stuff

What height does it need to be, do you stand I'm about 5' 7" and do you use a stool or what?

I want to make it small maybe 4'X3'

·
Registered
27,997 Posts
my level is about a 2, but my dad is about a 8, he's built 2 pole barn almost all by himself, and tons of other stuff

What height does it need to be, do you stand I'm about 5' 7" and do you use a stool or what?

I want to make it small maybe 4'X3'
I stand... others sit.. but I'm about 6'4, and I don't own the two presses you're considering.

If you make the bench legs to low, then you're going to be hunching over at the bottom of the stroke. If you make the bench legs to high, then (depending on your personal strength and abilities) you may find it difficult to resize brass.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
As Ron59 said, I also built mine with 4x4's for legs. Build it strong the first time and kind of heavy. You don't want that table flexing and moving all around when you are cranking on the press. Mine is in the basement and I don't plan on ever moving it. It needs to be strong IMO. I had a lighter bench in the past and that thing moving around when I'm reloading was not for me. Bolts and screws also.

·
local trouble maker
9,139 Posts
Build the biggest one you have room for. Everyone eventually out grows their bench. I have 2- 4 foot by 2 foot benches and they are to small. I am doing to replace one with an 8 by 2 foot bench.

·
2,950 Posts
Build the biggest one you have room for. Everyone eventually out grows their bench. I have 2- 4 foot by 2 foot benches and they are to small. I am doing to replace one with an 8 by 2 foot bench.
Agreed. I have one bench thats 8' x 2' with a storage shelf beneath, and an old executive oak desk serving as a second bench with storage on it. I still find that I run out of room. (of course, there are always some other non-reloading items that temporarily find themselves camping out on the benches).

·
Bustin Caps
6,927 Posts
A 4x3 bench is kinda small... you might end up having to attach it to the floor or wall.

I sit on a stool... according to Dillon, you want the press handle to be at shoulder height. My stool is pretty tall, so if I stand up for a bit, the difference in height isn't that much.

So get the chair you want to use, and build the bench based on that.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,235 Posts
Since you said you want to use a single stage press. You want to make the table top that is between your belt and belly button. Then you can either stand or sit if you get the right chair. The height for a single stage press and a progressive are different.
For the size of the table. Whatever you think is big enough double it. Then if you are like most people that isn’t even big enough in the future.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank alot for all the replies, I'll post pics after its built around Christmas, now my GF want us to build her a sewing table also, but hers bigger HA

·
Registered
15,401 Posts
pics added
Nice work.
I built my reloading bench with 2x4's, and plywood. It is located in an upstairs/bedroom/office so I assembled it with drywall screws. That way I can take it apart if I need to move it. I used two sheets of 1/2 inch plywood for the top and covered that with inexpensive paneling, the type used on bathroom walls. The open cabinet on top was built with 1x6's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.