Plan A Hunting Trip For Under A Grand?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Esox357, May 25, 2003.

1. Esox357

Esox357

The senario is that with 1,000.00 dollars you can take a hunt. Plan the hunt as reasonable as you can. Excluding airfare and eatings what trip could you reasonably do for 1,000.00? I thought that a guided duck/goose hunt would be within that range. Also a boar hunt to Florida. Anyone else have any suggestions? Esox357

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

My dad and I have been looking into some of the snow goose hunts in Texas, but that all got put on the backburner until 2004. The limits are very liberal since the population is double what the habitat can handle. Something like 6 million birds where there should only be 3 million.

A really great duck hunting spot is Magee Marsh in northern OH. The hunts are a lottery done by the Fish and Game dept. It's not a garaunteed hunt but only costs $10 to try. The hunting is the best you could ask for. You get towed out near your blind then pole your way to your own private part of the marsh. No two groups are within one blind of each other. There are some tricks we've learned over the years, but even without knowing the place you'll bag at least a few and get tons of shots. Even just watching that morning flight you'd swear you're standing on the edge of heaven.

3. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

A $1000 hunting trip. I would go to my local dealer and use the 1000 to buy another 1911 then I would go home and break out my old marlin 39a and go squirrell hunting in the back yard.;f

4. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

I'm not sure... But, I think you could go on a Canadian bear hunt for that much or less. I don't know what a non-resident license is now. But, I have friends in the business up there. One of them told me (recently) that the spring hunt is being re-instated in Ontario.

Try North Caribou Camp (or Outpost, or Lodge). They have a web site. Maybe their prices are on the site.

5. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

If you don't mind a "do it yourself" hunting trip, and you have access to camping gear, you ought to be able to do some public land big game hunts in many western states for under $1,000, including gasoline from Nebraska. The most expensive part would be the licenses.

6. vart

vart

I go hunting for trophy elk in Idaho every year for $50...$30 for the tag, and $20 for gas to drive the 50 miles or so to my hunting spot;) .

7. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

A spring gobbler hunt after a differn't subspecies. Shopping around you can do a 3-4 day hunt with lodging under that pretty easy.

8. Tol

Tol

Vart,
    That's just mean to tell people things like that. It would be polite for you to add a few zeros to make us feel better about where we live. ;) I spend more than that to hunt whitetail as a resident.

Man that is cool. You are a lucky guy!
    Tol

9. vart

vart

If I were truly lucky, then I would actually shoot a trophy elk every year, instead of just chase them around the woods;) .

10. hy5z

hy5z

Do you want a vacation or just want to hunt? Where I live (Washingtion) I can plan a hunting trip that consists of a full tank of gas, food and bevs, and a license. If you want a cushy cabin and a handhold through the woods then I'm sure you can spend at least $1000. :)

11. Esox357

Esox357

Nope, don't mind a do it yourself trip, I wanted to go after boar or do a duck/goose hunt primarily. I also wanted to know about black bear hunting, what states do I have the best chance at getting a tag and costs? Thanks Esox357 PS: Vart you are a lucky man.

12. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

In Wyoming, a nonresident black bear license is available over the counter for $250. The license is good for a calendar year, and there are spring and fall seasons that can be hunted on the license. Seasons are based upon an area harvest quota, and the area shuts down when the limit is met. If you hunt in an area of the state that also has grizzly bears, you need to be able to ID a black from a grizzly bear, or else you could end up in a lot of trouble. You can check out the Wyoming Game and Fish site at http://gf.state.wy.us/

I would say that most people who are serious about harvesting a bear do it over bait, which probably means some form of "guided" hunt.

13. Esox357

Esox357

Thanks for the info TFL. Esox357

14. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

With $1000 (depending on season):

I would buy another Tikka and scope, go to my dad's farm in western ND and bag my choice of Muley, Whitetail or Antelope.

Or

Buy a nice Browning pump and bag a crap-load of pheasants.

Or

Buy a Bushy varmint rig (with some $ to boot) and go after the plethora of coyotes.

And those city folk made fun of us country kids growing up:)

15. MrMunster

MrMunster

NDGlock -- Can I join you???? (PLEASE!)

How many guys are you supposed to take for $1000? I remember when I, my dad, his 2 brothers, and my grandfather would spend the entire week of Thanksgiving chasing pheasants and quail around southeast Iowa. The only time we spent anywhere near $1000 is the year that my dad bought his first Citori.