close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Plagiarism Checking Site?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Shoeless, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Using Copyscape.com, I discovered that one of my colleagues has lifted content from my web site and I am now curious to see if she (or anyone else) has copied and pasted text from any of my articles and passing them off as their own.

Copyscape will only let you check URLs, and not entire blocks of text. Does anyone know of a free site where I can paste an entire article and it will check the web for identical content?

Thanks so much!

Shoeless

2. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I just put small sections in quotes then do a google, dogpile, lycos search and see what pops up.

3. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

That's exactly how we expose many PI and RI posters here that cut-and-plagiarize from websites. lol

4. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I don't have a solution, but that is called "scraping" in the search engine optimization community. It can hurt your rankings in search engines.

5. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Can you explain this to me? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Shoeless

6. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I'd be interested in hearing about that as well. I didn't know I was ranked.

7. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

After doing some reading I think what David G17 is refering to as scraping is what dogpile and some other engines do. You submit a search term dogpile sends out the requests to multiple search engines "scrapes" the answers off the real search engine and collects the ad fees. I could't find out how that would hurt my rating. If I wrong would somebody please correct me?

8. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

these guys can explain it better than me:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum89/7116.htm

warning: that forum is full of search engine spammers & scrapers, though they seldom admit to it.

it's basically when someone copies (i.e. "scrapes") the content on your site. when two sites have the EXACT same wording, links, images, etc. search engines may assume it's a form of spam.

e.g. it appears that you created a ton of domains with the exact same content, so they won't rank your content very high.

9. DiverDn

DiverDn Diver Down

this may not be much help, but many of my papers that I write for school are submitted to turnitin.com.

I admit I don't know much about the site and it may only be available to students and teachers.