Places unwilling to sell rifle ammunition to 18 year olds.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by toshbar, Feb 9, 2010.

1. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

I just bought a Saiga 5.45(hasn't even shipped yet) and am looking for ammo. Many of the online places require the purchaser to be 21 years old to purchase any sort of ammunition. This perturbs me.:steamed: I sent this email to Aim Surplus last night:
    and got the reply this morning:

Can anyone point me to a place that will sell rifle ammunition to the right people at a good price? The-Armory sold me a case of Yugo 7.62x39 a while back and it was a nice experience. Not too many hoops to jump through, and it was at my door in 2 days. They just don't carry the 5.45x39 surplus that I want.

I also want to share an experience at a local sport shop in Kinston, NC.

I went in there looking for .22LR bulk ammo one day. They get it from behind the counter and walk it up to the front of the store to the register. They ask for my ID, I give it to the guy and he tells me that I must be 21 years old to buy .22LR because it will fit in a pistol. I asked to speak to the manager and he told me the same dribble about it 'being federal law that I cannot sell you this ammunition.' I told him he was incorrect about the law and brought up the point that 7.62 and .223 could fit in a pistol too. I could go buy an AR-15 from his gun counter, buy all the .223 ammo they have, load the gun up at the counter and walk out the store, yet he cannot trust me with one round of .22LR ammo because 'it will fit in a pistol', which is funny in itself because I had the G23 on my hip. I then told him to have a good day and that I, nor any of my friends would return to buy anything from the store.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Why are you blaming the stores for having the policy when it's the ATF, and libelous lawsuits that are the issue. They're afraid if they sell you ammo that there is a pistol made for they can be arrested or sued for doing that. Welcome to the 21st century.

3. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

If you are 18 you will have no problems buying ammo at a gun store, which is what you should do. Also maybe have your mom, dad, older friend order for you if you have to get it online.

Also how do you have a CCW permit if you are under 21? Are NC laws different?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  4. arclight610

arclight610

I think he was ocing

5. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

Probably because the law and the ATF allow him to buy ammo, the store that chose to run that type of business are too lazy to check on the laws. There is an idiot I won't buy from still because he wouldn't sell me 7.62x39 ammo when I was 18. And the lawsuit argument is BS. This is so simple that walmart clerks can figure it out. Is this for a pistol? As long as the answer in no the store is good to go.

6. WarCry

WarCry

The only bit of advice I would offer you is this....

Calm down....

They're not infringing your rights, they're covering their butts, plain and simple. It might not make sense to you, but they're losing your handful of cash in order to stay in business for all the other people buying other stuff.

Does it suck? Yeah, certainly. But they're not 'out to get you.' They're just trying to keep any heat off of themselves.

7. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

:dunno: I somehow have a feeling this thread will not turn out too well. :whistling:

8. ZRiz19C

ZRiz19C In The Woods

I tried to buy 22LR a couple months ago at Wal-Mart at age 19. They wouldn't let me buy the ammunition. After talking with the store supervisor nothing was accomplished. He said something along the lines of, "If the barcode rings up that you need to be 21, you need to be 21 to purchase the product."

9. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

You might want to reconsider carrying a pistol if you are so easily "enraged".

10. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

if a pistol exists to fire a rifle cartridge, it's no longer a rifle cartridge. for a business to play it safe isn't particularly aimed at you, it might be they don't want to be part of the next mass shootings media frenzy.

The sense of outrage that 18 year olds feel at not being given the full range of adult rights generally dissipates by age 21.

By about 40, it seems like a GRAND idea.

11. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Viva Hate CLM

Yessir. :thumbsup:

12. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Why don't we just raise the age of majority then to 21? I mean seriously. 18-20 year olds can't drink, can't buy handguns, etc... They can vote and join the army, and are considered "adults", yet still can't do a lot of things 21 year olds can do.

I'm not anti military, but I think the main reason we don't see the minimum age of majority raised to 21 is because more 18 year olds will enlist than 21 year olds.

I think this ammo thing is BS. Sell the kid the ammo. It is legal. The cartridge he was trying to buy is .22 LONG RIFLE. I think that too many guns stores are run by morons who know nothing about the law. But, mostly they are trying to cover their asses, and hey, who can fault them for that.

13. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

I am 5 months from 21 and I have been refused ammo before at Walmart. Its not really a big deal, I just have to drive down a few blocks further and get .22s at Sports Authority for a few more bucks. And as far as 5.56 goes I get mine from Walmart at a pretty good price, and they will sell it to me being under 21. I've only really ever had problems with .22s surprisingly.

And I'm quite curious how you are able to carry your G23? I cant wait for the day I get my CCW card in the mail and can CC on campus (my university allows it) but I have never heard of being able to carry a pistol under 21...

14. Palmguy

Palmguy Boom.

A grand idea to what? Not allow an 18 year old to buy a box of .22LR? :upeyes:

Given that in most states it's not illegal for an 18 year old to own a pistol, the whole issue is retarded. You can own the gun (and carry it somehow in more than a few states), you just can't buy it at an FFL and you can't buy ammo for it at a store. Makes a lot of sense, eh?

Also, aren't there .50BMG pistols in existence? Does that now qualify as a "pistol cartridge"? If so, why even call anything a "rifle cartridge"?

15. Cheseldine

Cheseldine Texan

Ya it's a pain finding ammo for my G19. Funny how I can legally own it but not buy ammo right? Guess you just have to know people. I am pretty sure there is no way I can legally carry it though. If someone knows differently please let me know. Only a few more months now though...

16. majic man

majic man

In Indiana you can own a handgun at 18 and carry it with a license. You must be 21 to buy one from an FFL due to Federal law. It is perfectly legal to buy one through a private sale.

17. bayshtyshorty

bayshtyshorty

Must not have been loaded??? :rofl: Cuz he can't buy the stuff!!! If it was loaded isnt that illegal? Or is it legal to have it but not to buy it

18. jdm0506

jdm0506

try Palmetto State Armory

19. arclight610

arclight610

The Contender pretty much makes every rifle cartridge a pistol cartridge now. I've got one to top off all the "Wal-mart won't sell me ammo because I'm not 21 stories." One day I was at Wal-mart when I was 20 years old. I decided to pick up 2 boxes of Remington Bulk Pack to plinking in a few days. Both identical boxes. One rang up "IS CUST 18?" and the other one rang up as "IS CUST 21?" I was told I wasn't old enough to buy the second box of identical ammo.

20. TrooperBrian

TrooperBrian

Everywhere I've been, if it can be used in a rifle it can be a "rifle round", like selling 9x19 for use in a 9mm carbine.

Also, yes you can have a CCW under 21, the best example is State of Maine.