Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania Glockers Club' started by Doog, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Doog

Doog REVOLUTION

Moving back to the burgh in a couple days, where are the best ranges these days?

2. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

There is one over by the airport called Anthony Arms Shooting Range in West Mifflin? Reasonable prices and a nice sized range. I usually go there when I travel to Pittsburgh on business.

3. Doog

Doog REVOLUTION

Thanks for the suggestion, I am familiar with Anthony Arms. Do you know of any long range rifle ranges?

4. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

Is this the Doog who used to shoot at Greater Pitt Gun club?

Doog, Since Tex is in prison now and Greater Pitt no longer exists, I would say the 2 best clubs ( my opinion ) would be Pitcairin/Monroeville Sportsman's club or McDonald Sportsman's club.

PMSC has a 300 yd rifle range. McDonald has a 600 yd range.

PMSC has an indoor pistol range, rifle and pistol ranges, pistol bunkers at the IPSC area, archery range, shotgun -whatever in hell they do with clays.
    You can shoot steel at PMSC, There are no magazine limitations for either rifle or pistol. You can present from a holster at PMSC. PMSC allows the FireInstitute to hold training classes in tactical pistol, carbine, shotgun. They also have NRA instructors classes and RSO certification classes.
    PMSC also allows hunting on the property for members. The dues is $60/yr + initiation for 1st yr., has key card access, sponsers a gun bash and has some pretty good people.

They have a couple full auto shoots per year (also for members.)

My only issue is that they can't move the gun club to my side of the city.

deutscheglocker

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  5. Doog

Doog REVOLUTION

Hey, yes I am the same Doog. Thats too bad about the Greater Pittsburgh club though. The club in Monroeville sounds like the right one for me. I wish it was closer to home, since its not very easily accessable to the south hills. Deutscheglocker its good to see that your still around Glocktalk! Thanks for the info.

6. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

Doog, Good to hear from ya.

I just sent dues in to PMSC.

I would like to shoot closer to south hills as well. McDonald membership may be closed for now (rumor). Downside to that club is the dues are about 150 if you don't do 6 work parties/year.

I shot there once and it seems like a nice club. I don't know all of what they have to offer so perhaps some research might make this a better choice for you if the higher tier dues is not an issue for you. I shot on their pistol range and i think steel is OK, holster presentations are ok . I'm not sure about mag limits or anything regarding indoor facilities.

Might take a look as my wife works with a member.

If I get anything positive to report, I'll post it up here in the next few weeks.

DG

7. JBG30

JBG30

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  8. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  9. JBG30

JBG30

DG, I sent you a pm, it may not have gone through.

10. CHEF-LOU

CHEF-LOU

Shame that the range closed. We did have a nice shoot there.

11. deutscheglocker

deutscheglocker

Yes we did Lou, thanks to you for organizing it.

I still have pics of that shoot (probably on my old hard drive).

For quite a while, I was attending the monthly shoots at Pitcairn/ Monroeville Sportsman's Club where I am currently a member. These are held through another forum (Pafoa)and have been held every month for the past 3 years.

I no longer attend. The RSO's who helped run it could not get new people to get the training and step up. Many stopped going I think I was one of the last. When faced with the possibility of shutting it down for lack of certed people, a half dozen new people finally got the certs and it is still being held.

PMSC is a better club than Greater Pitt was. Reasonable dues. Nice ranges. It's just a lot further to drive.

I had a link to the Greater Pitt closing but can't locate it. Too bad it wasn't sold before everything went south.

DG

12. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I'm a member of PMSC and I think it's a great club and it is reasonably priced.