Glock 17 Pitting on slide of G17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by islandglocker, Apr 28, 2007.

Tags:
  1. islandglocker

islandglocker

Hi everyone, i was wondering if any of you have ever had this problem but i couldnt help and notice it on one of my friends G17. This is a second generation G17 and he has had it for quite some time but the slide had some small little holes on the top corner by the rear sight. He said he asked around and he was told it was possibly his lubricant he was using... Please anyone tell me what can possibly this be and what can be done to prevent it, since i just recently paid a fortune for a G19.

thanks in advance

2. Broadside

Broadside

I guess it might be possible if he was using battery acid as a lubricant.

Seriously, do you know what type of lubricant he was using?

Is it possible that he may have dropped it at some point and what you are seeing are actually dents and not pitting?

I'm not saying it is impossible for a Glock slide to rust. It's just that this is the first I've heard of it happening.

If you are seriously concerned about your G19, you could get some R.I.G. from Brownells or MidwayUSA and apply a thin coat to your slide. After that, I'm not really sure what else you could do.

3. islandglocker

islandglocker

Thanks for the input, now im not so familiar with the terms used here so can you please tell me what R.I.G. stands for? I was thinking about having the black coating taken off the slide to make it look metallic the metal color of the slide to have a two tone G19.

Does anyone know what would be the best process for this without damaging the slide.

4. SchlaffTablett

SchlaffTablett

RIG is basically a heavy grease. Personally, I'd never let that stuff come near a gun that was going to be used. It's great for long term storage (years), but as a lubricant or rust preventative, I'd stay away.
    AFA the black finish is concerned; it's basically a topical finish akin to a phosphate or a kind of paint. It's pretty easy to take off with a bead blaster, but getting an even finish like that is a little difficult. The Tenifer finish that is baked into the steel is what actually protects the metal and it is, for all intents and purposes, not really visible. If you're looking for a 2 tone finish, I'd recommend having your slide hard chromed. It looks the best and adds some in the corrosion resistance dept.

5. Broadside

Broadside

Sorry islandglocker. I should check this forum more often.

R.I.G. is the name of a rust inhibitor product and stands for "rust inhibiting grease". It is like cosmoline which was used by the U.S. military for years for long term storage of weapons and other steel implements. As SchlaffTablett explained, it is extremely thick. It is not designed to be a lubricant. However, it should be fine for coating the outside of your slide. It will wipe off easy with a rag.

It is not something that I would use a a lubricant on a Glock. However, Glocks don't require a great deal of lubricant.

Do you know what your friend was using as a lubricant that was allegedly causing the pitting?