close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pistol-Training.com Gen 4 GLOCK 17 Test

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WayaX, Mar 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Suffered it's first malfunction at 63 rounds, and again at 188 rounds, and again at 230 rounds.

It is a sad day indeed.

2. bentbiker

bentbiker

3. MrV

MrV

Bunch of limp wristers.

4. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

His write-up is not yet posted. The results are in the comments of the guessing game post.

5. gtmtnbiker98

gtmtnbiker98

6. chilic82

chilic82

That's just sad. There is no reason for a modern combat handgun to need a break in period. The Gen1,2,3 Glocks,Sigs, USP, Beretta 92, didn't need one and the Gen 4 shouldn't either.

7. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

4th stoppage at 392, he is suspending the test to evaluate.

8. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

Repeating that over and over again will not fix the issues. Hopefully all of this gets nipped in the butt quick so Glock can get back to it's winning ways. Until then it is Gen3 all the way for me.

9. Boogwardo

Boogwardo

I just got a Gen4 G17 last week. Put 450 rounds of WalMart 115grn Federal through it w/o a hiccup. Also shot a couple mags of Ranger +p+ w/o any issues. I did lube it with FP-10 and wiped the greasy crap off it first.

10. Grafuki

Grafuki

THIS is what I've been pondering the whole time!!!

And I still have yet to get a failure with my 27. One round jammed with the 40/9 barrel but I was using a .40 mag so I blame it on the user!

11. cole

cole Millennium Member

Yep. The Gen4 has sired a whole new generation of 'em. :whistling:

12. MrV

MrV

Of the worst creed.

/shrug. My gen4 g17 has digested a myriad of different ammo types without a hiccup.

13. Apprentice

Apprentice

I agree but you should seek out the HK P30 thread current on M4C or go to the dedicated HK boards to see P30 fans discuss how HK recommends hotter full power ammo for a break in period. There is a P30 user there will consistent problems keeping it running.

But to your point, the best of the modern designs had almost made that concept obsolete.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  14. ducati

ducati

I think you need to go to his sight and see who you are talking about. Todd does these test all of the time with different handguns. His test usually go 30,000 to 50,000 rounds. How many of your handguns have that many?

15. ducati

ducati

Up to 5 stoppages out of 562 rounds.

16. CynicX

CynicX

Real shame....oh well! :)

17. 9mmdude

9mmdude

Yup, you can't blame Todd for this one. This is an off the shelf Glock 17 Gen4. His past record dictates the gun is at fault. Like or not this is called a Glock FAIL.

18. misfit356tsw

misfit356tsw

You don't understand, MrV's gen4 17 has not had any issues. So that means anyone who has any problems must be doing something wrong. His handgun expertise far surpasses our mortal knowledge. :upeyes:

This was a legitimate test and while it does shed a bad light on a percentage of Gen4 17s, it will not look bad when Glock stands up and takes care of the issue.

19. Quail Fat

Quail Fat Member

I read on TOS, Glock released a bunch of Gen 4 Glock 17s without the special notch cut into the bottom of the barrel, near the lugs for the new recoil spring.

Todd got one of those Gen4s that don't have the notch, which is why he is having problems, and others are not.

20. bentbiker

bentbiker

I don't know what website you are referencing by TOS, but the issue Todd was talking about is at the muzzle end. His gun does not have the counter bore in the slide for the spring to sit in. I don't think he is suggesting that has anything to do with his problems. As for a lack of a crescent notch on the barrel lug, I've never heard of such a thing, and since the spring doesn't touch that notch during cycling, that wouldn't be an issue either.

I sure wish Todd could and would locate one of the older style extractors to see whether that would solve his problems. Glock seem to be either unwilling or unable to truly investigate what the real cause is, but it is clearly not a spring or ammo problem. In most guns, softening the spring, or using ammo with a higher PF, seems to be sufficient to counteract/cover-up the problem, but at some point people are going to conclude there is something else going on. Going back to an extractor made prior to 2010 has solved the problems for several people, but few people seem willing to try it.