Pistol receiver to Rifle?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by cyrsequipment, Mar 5, 2010.

1. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

I'm pretty sure that it isn't legal to convert an AR receiver to a pistol (I might be wrong though), but is it legal to take an AR receiver that was originally built as a pistol (and marked as a pistol), and convert it to a rifle configuration as long as you stick at least a 16in barrel on it?

2. kabob983

kabob983 "Mostly" Dead

It's not legal to convert a rifle lower to pistol but I'm not sure about visa versa.

3. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

I thought I had heard it was legal (mainly because the tax to produce a pistol is higher than the tax to produce a rifle)... but then again, one can "hear" just about anything.

I also recall hearing about an ATF ruling stating that it was ok to do it, but there might be a problem about "converting" it back to a pistol... Which makes little sense to me, but then again most gun laws don't make much sense to me so, that may be the case.

I've searched the ATF site but couldn't find anything in relation to it.

4. striker6126

striker6126

The way it was explained to me by a local batf agent , If the reciever has ever been a rifle it can never be a pistol , but a pistol can become a rifle.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  5. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Thank you, that does explain how those Mec-tec conversaions for Glocks are legal.

thanks

6. Novocaine

Novocaine

But it doesn't explain how you can take Mec-Tec conversion off and legally put the original pistol upper back on.

7. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Because the Glock was originally taxed as a pistol (this is partially a guess) which is a higher rate. so it could "become" a rifle (taxed at a lower rate) and then go back to a pistol because you already paid the tax at the lower rate... maybe... perhaps...:wow:

I'm guessing here, I still haven't found the REAL answer anywhere...

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I've never understood the fear about pistols and rifles being converted. Who cares. If it's your gun and you're not breaking laws with it by using it as an instrumentality of the crime, have at it. Paint it pink and chop it down to 1" barrel for all I care.

9. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Well, unfortunately, the ATF see that a bit differently... Besides I have to take polygraphs every now and then...

10. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I know. I am not saying how it is, but rather just something of the libertarian in me that thinks as long as you are not hurting others, do whatever you want with your own property. That's what freedom is about.

Your freedom to be you, includes the freedom of me to be free from you. Therefore, if you want to be dumb and do whatever you do and you end up hurt, dead or diseased or whatever, you pay for it yourself. Don't come to me asking for me to pay taxes so you can get subsidized or free government care.

11. Novocaine

Novocaine

I'm just looking at it in a context of striker6126's post. Either BATF agent was wrong or you can't put pistol slide back on once Mechtec CU was installed.

12. space_weazel

space_weazel

I believe the Mec-Tec's get the slide because the stock and the 16" barrel are attached to each other and thus there is no constructive intent to "make" an SBR. IMO

13. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Yea, turning it into an SBR is another matter altogether...

And the point about once it "becomes" a rifle, can it be turned back? I'm not too sure... I've got a good deal on a pistol lower, and while I have no need for an AR pistol... I could always use another rifle ( um yea)... so turning it back won't be much of an issue for me, I'm just trying to figure out if it is legal. I'll have ot call the ATF to be sure I guess.

and Lawman... I agree with your sentiment completely.