close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

pistol powder question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win, Apr 4, 2012.

1. win

win

I am looking at getting some new pistol powder. I load .380, 9mm, 40s&w, 45 acp, 45 gap, mainly 9mm and both 45
    I like mid range to factory load charges.
    I would like to use one powder for all these if possible.
    I was looking at Hodgdon Universal or maybe Longshot. Or do you think clays.
    I have used tightgroup before. I just want a bulky powder to help prevent a double charge.
    what to you guys think?

2. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

3. win

win

thoughts on hodgdon HP-38

4. dkf

dkf

Power Pistol will work well for .380, 9mm and .40 but I don't know about the .45 acp and gap. PP is a more "bulky" powder however it is a flashy powder. Not something you would want for indoor ranges. It also works well for max loads without excessive pressure.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  5. njl

njl

Universal works best at higher pressures. It's great for 9mm. I don't like it in .45, and I doubt it would do well in .380. Longshot...are you kidding?

I'm not sure you'll find one powder for them all...you've got kind of high pressure (9mm, .40) and low pressure (.380, .45) cartridges there.

6. win

win

Ok I could live with 2 powders.
    what would you suggest for that range?
    thanks

7. magman687

magman687

I have had good luck with red dot in 9mm .40 .357 and 44 mag don't know how it would do in 380 though

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

8. ss30378

ss30378

Ill second the power pistol and add that it does in fact work very well with the 45acp. I can get more velocity for the psi with PP than any other powder ive tried. But its flashy and loud. Im ok with that though.

9. squirreld

squirreld

1 powder,
    Unique!

10. fredj338

fredj338

You are asking a lot from one powder for such a wide range of case volumes & pressures. So that pretty much lands you smack in the medium burners like Unique Universal, WSF, PowerPistol, VV330, Ramshot & HS6. Much slower, the 380 & 45acp suffer vel loss & incomplete combustion, much faster & you are not getting factory vel safely in the 40 & 9mm.
    With two powders, you could add a faster powder like WST or W231 for better perormance in the 380 & 45acp w/ less powder. Still, you could do it all with one of the medium burners. Really, RD in the 357mag & 44mag?? Only for light loads, ceratinly aren't even getting close to magnum performance w/ uberfast powders like that.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  11. AA#5

AA#5

I love AA#5 because it's the most consistent metering powder I've ever used.

Win. 231 is also great.

For most moderate loads, they fill half the case, so a double charge would be very obvious.

12. ColoCG

ColoCG

I totally agree, what more can you say Unique!

I've used it in all of those with great results except .45gap and that's only because I don't load it. I would expect it to work great in it also.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  13. sourdough44

sourdough44

I just placed an order to bolster up my handgun powder. I went with 4 lbs each of Win 231 & Titegroup. I already have a few pounds of H Universal, some Unique, Win 296, & 2400. While I do a little max loading in the 45 Colt & 44 mag, most of my stuff is mid level target/ plinking loads, usually with semi-autos.

I ended up with Powder Valley for availability & price. I added a few primers & bullets to the order. It was my 1st online order with them, hopefully all goes well.

14. Kentguy

Kentguy

win,
    If you are looking for another powder to give you a good mid range load, I have tested H. Universal quite a bit and it will "For the most part" give you a good target round. I've also have very good results in a mid range load with HS6 as well.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  15. brisk21

brisk21

Ive been using Unique for .45 ACP and it works great. If you are paying attention, you won't double charge the round since it about fills the case up half way. (It is a bit dirty though!!)

16. fredj338

fredj338

If you find Unique "dirty" you are likely running to low a pressures. Bump it a bit & see if things gt better. Unique never has, never will be a good low pressure target load.

17. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Oops, I'm late to the party... had an early dance lesson yesterday then was out late last night entertaining the ladies.

I must admit that I don't own or load the .40 since that's one of those new-fangled calibers that you young'uns go all goo-goo over. (If it starts with a 4 it should end with a 5.

Having loaded one or two .380's during my three week loading career I've never tried 'em with Unique but Bullseye and HP-38, (231) does a yeoman's job.

For all the other calibers you mentioned, (sans the .40 since I just don't know. You should have spent the extra $2.00 and got the rest of the caliber.), why try to reinvent the wheel?

Buy copious amounts of Unique and stop messin' around with all those boutique, metrosexual powders.

Good looking women with loose moral values love the smell of Unique powder... and hundred dollar bills.

Jack

18. TonyT

TonyT

At one time Alliant published data for Bullseye in all those calibefrs.

19. ColoCG

ColoCG

20. grenadier

grenadier

You're looking at a wide range of pressures, since you have the low pressure .45 ACP, as well as the higher pressure 9 mm and .40.

Clays isn't going to be a good choice here. It's simply too fast of a powder to be useful for your higher pressure cartridges, unless you're planning on loading powderpuff loads.

Hodgdon Universal, though, is a powder that can work well in all of those cartridges, as can Alliant Unique (both are essentially the same powder).

Alliant Green Dot can also work for mid-range loads.