Pistol incident bolsters activists

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TBO, Oct 24, 2010.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Pistol incident bolsters activists

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2010/oct/23/pistol-incident-bolsters-activists/

2. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Not enough details to tell one way or the other whether he was justified in drawing a firearm.

Guess we should wait for more information?

3. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Of course. [​IMG]

4. brboyer

brboyer

How'd they know?

5. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

[​IMG]
    --------------------------------------------

If you would have just quoted 5 more words instead of clipping them off:

ymmv

6. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Maybe Boyle over reacted. And for that he got arrested. And he'll likely lose his CCW. Fair enough. But the movement does have a history of violence against people in his profession.

Interesting situation, isn't it? If in the future a protestor should injure or kill him, he/his estate should sue TN or SC for taking away his right to defend himself.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  7. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

Can't agree with this statement. That is like saying that because of 1 or 2 nutjobs who have killed in the name of gun rights, all of us have a history of violence.

8. brboyer

brboyer

No it's the crappy reporting that passes for journalism these days!

9. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Gun rights? I think this is more correctly characterized as a extremest religious issue. Any religion. Boyle is the one who may now be denied the right to own or carry a gun.

10. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Your post of "1 or 2 nutjobs" made me curious. Did a quick search and found these sites. Regardless of which side of the issue a person is on, the figures are the figures.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_viol.htm

http://www.prochoice.org/about_abortion/violence/history_violence.html

http://www.splcenter.org/get-inform...all-issues/1998/summer/anti-abortion-violence

11. GT4494

GT4494

No matter how you feel about what the Dr. does for a living he was definitely in violation of the SC state laws.

Brandishing is a crime and any CCW permit is taught this in the REQUIRED training class. Weapons are to used for self defense as stated below. You can not use them to protect property.

State of South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) Use of Firearms or Other Weapons
    (Taken from the SLED Web site on Firearms)
    Use of Deadly Force
    State v. Fuller, 297 S.C. 440, 377 S.E.2d 328 (1989) sets forth the elements of self-defense in South Carolina. These are:
    1. you must be without fault in bringing on the difficulty;
    2. you must actually believe you are in imminent danger of loss of life or serious bodily injury or actually be in such danger;
    3. if you believe you are in such danger, you must use deadly force only if a reasonable or prudent man of ordinary firmness and courage would have believed himself to be in such danger, or, if you actually were in such danger, the circumstances were such as would warrant a man of ordinary prudence, firmness and courage to strike the fatal blow in order to save yourself from serious bodily harm or losing your own life;
    4. you had no other probable means of avoiding the danger of losing your own life or sustaining serious bodily injury than to act as you did in the particular instance.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/southcarolina.pdf

12. Toorop

Toorop

It seems that way in regards to Muslims and the religion of Islam in my experience. Either way many abortion doctors have been the targets of Christian extremists and terrorists. I think he may have been justified but we need more information.

13. Toorop

Toorop

The doctor has been charged, it does not mean he is guilty of the crime. Let's see what happens at the trial. I guessing he probably was in fear of losing his life given the history of what some of the "pro-life" advocates have done to doctors.

14. repoman1984

repoman1984 under the pully

A handful of terrorist attacks and murders have taken place against doctors in clinics like that. I am very inclined to believe the doctor felt in danger for his life and the life of his spouse.

on a similar note aren't protests supposed to be limited to picketing on the sidewalk and not approach opposing parties? If the statement is accurate that they approached him unsolicited I'd have a hard time blaming him for drawing as that could have been an implied provoked response.

15. Streetking

Streetking NRA Instructor, Certified Pistol

not that I support abortionists, but when do you draw? if you're being approached by an angry mob then that should be enough.

16. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Still not enough details to tell. The Doc said he feared for his life, the protestors say he needlessly brandished a firearm.

One of them is more right than the other. You would have to fill in the missing parts with your imagination to pick sides.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  17. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Edmund Burke said: "Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."

Reads like the MD brushed up on history relevant to him?

Besides, this is CI. We don't need no stinking FACTS. I have a theory of what actually happened during the confrontation. Opinions are factual enough.

18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Hmmm....does that justify me pulling the gat when in Dearborn?

Probably not...(actually, "definately not"). The guy with the gun still needs to justify means, opportunity and intent as would be seen by a reasonable man. Were those present here?

And, yes, I want more information before I form an opinion.

19. fredj338

fredj338

That is always the question isn't it? In todays climate, drawing w/o imminent threat of bodily harm is going to be brandishing in most cases. It's one delima all CCW have to struggle with. Only you can decide when to draw. me, I want it pretty clear I am in danger. That doesn't mean I draw on someone advancing on me, open hands & yelling. If he stops three feet away & just keeps yelling, are you in danger? Most courts would likely say no. My choice, but each has to make their own.

20. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

sorry, i wasn't referring to this specific incident when referring to gun rights. I meant that you seem to be painting anti-abortion/pro-life protesters with the same broad brush that gun rights activists get painted with.

In other words, not all pro-life protesters are nut jobs who want to kill the doctor any more than all gun rights protesters are nut jobs who want to kill the Brady Bunch.