Glock Talk banner
121 - 140 of 165 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
If you can only get one firearm get a G29, it is very adaptable and one of the lightest you can get with the power to take down a bear. Get a .40 caliber barrel to practice with and for snake shot, the 10mm mags work and feed well with .40 caliber ammo, I am not familiar with the .40 caliber snake shot though. Practicing with 10mm ammo is expensive and will wear your hands out quick with the G29 frame. Use +p 200 grain or more hard cast bullets (I use Underwood ammo) in bear and feral pig country. If you are able to get another firearm for hiking and/or spend a lot of time in snake country, get a Taurus Judge Public Defender Poly. I have spent a few thousand dollars on holsters trying to find one that is good for backpacking/hiking and only use the Alien Gear Cloak Chest Holster for my G29 and Judge outdoors; you can contact me for the reasons I do not like other holsters I have tried if you wish.

· Registered
16 Posts
If the only animal is the two legged kind where you hike, with the exception of Black Bears which are pretty harmless, I would look at the G43, lite 38's or a small 380 fanny pack guns. Load up the first two rounds with snake shot/shot shell!

· Registered
36 Posts
A G29 is similar sized to the 19 but wider.

I might go w/ a Gen 3 either 27 or 23. Just depends on what sight radius you want. A 27 you can pocket the same as a 26. And that ability does come in handy esp around the AT etc
You can also use a conversion 357 sig barrel in a G27. I have the G27 with Lone Wolf 357 sig barrel. Best of 2 worlds.

· Registered
39 Posts
Looking for a compact handgun that I can take with me(where legal) when I go hiking.

I don't go hunting, not against it, just not my thing. I do, however, enjoy hiking and being outside, especially in the fall.

I want something that will keep me safe from predators in all environments in the lower 48 states. Strictly for self defense, if I were chasing something I would take my rifle.

The G20 is too big. If they made a 10mm in G19 size, it be perfect for what I want it for.

Would a 3" .357 suffice or do I need something with a longer barrel/larger caliber?

Recommendations appreciated.
G20 is a little heavy, but I have carried it all along the southern states on the Appalachian Trail and I don't even weigh 150 lbs. As someone else mentioned below, it fits nicely in one of the Hill People chest packs along with my trail snacks.

· Registered
17 Posts
Lots of great suggestions. Bear spray is more effective than 90% of the handguns on the market. Everything else you'd encounter on the trails can be handled with whichever concealed weapon you like in whatever caliber/holster/ color/flavor. My current back up and off duty gun is a s&w shield plus in 9mm with 13+1. I take it hiking, camping, fishing and duck hunting. I wouldn't hesitate to use/trust it to protect my family. Besides, I am far more scared of what people can do vs some tom cat or a rabid deer with mange - 9mm is a pretty good option for a people stopper. Happy trails!!

· Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,206 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I've narrowed it down to a G20 vs G29. Will try to get my hands on both before deciding.
I am a little late to the conversation, but I may be able to add something to the conversation.

You are wanted small, light, and concealable.
AND
You want something to take the biggest bears and plenty of ammo for 2 legged varmints.
These are opposite ends of the physics spectrum. Only you will be able to decide the happy point.

I will add I have had more trail miles than many. I have had a couple times when I REALLY wanted a gun and only had a camera. I have not needed to kill any bears or any people while on the trail. The city is more dangerous. A mile or two down the trail is much safer. The risk is truly overstated when you respect the animals, hang your food....

Of course, there is the story from last century I read in a gun magazine (and have recently discusses with the authors son online), where the hunter took a large bear with a 44mag, with one shot, no big deal. Then he had an encounter with a generally pissed off bear which absorbed 12 rounds of 44mag and 5 of 375H&H and almost got him. So, for every 1000 bears which goes down easy, there may be 1 that will not go down with anything you are carrying on a normal hike.

Someone mentioned your ability to shoot. I tend to agree that it matters, but not the conclusion that you shouldn't or can't or ..., but it matters on the gun recommendations. Before I got my S&W649, I was told that I don't need a 357mag. I would never be able to shoot it accurately. Would I want to have a 500 round range day of 357mag? NO. But, a 5 round up close quick violent encounter isn't a problem. And at the same time, I have watched people with more skills that I have shoot a G20 at much longer ranges and make hits and shoot multiple targets up close much quicker than I can with mine. So, YOUR skill matters. How recoil sensitive are you? How quickly and accurately can you place 3-5-10 rounds on target? Only you know.

In the end, I think you will not have 1 gun for everything.
A micro-ccw is probably enough for east of the Mississippi. I could grab my Khar PM9/PM40 or S&W649. It would also work for the South and West. My G19 is easier to shoot. If this was S&P SHTF...the G19 is a better option, but at more weight...
My G20 is more gun and more weight. I am competent with it. I could hunt with this gun. I have a G26 and don't shoot it any more. I prefer a slightly longer grip. I plan on getting a G29, but I think it needs to be augmented to be a good gun for me or you. Get the threaded barrel and compensator. Then extend the mag with a 2 round extender.

But for active bear country, Griz, Brown, Polar, I would want more gun. I have a 629, 44mag. It is a good gun, but too heavy for "normal hiking". I am considering getting a 329, but as the 629 is good with 44mag, I wonder about the recoil with the light weight 329. 6 rounds quickly on target...

Food for thought if nothing else.

· Registered
31 Posts

· Venor ergo sum
"94% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones" CPRC
6,544 Posts
While I am a big .357 magnum revolver fan, I like the G20 for this purpose. A G29 would also work for me. Lighter gun and bigger bullets verses the .357. Black bears are common in the high country of the southwest US and I’ve had several close encounters.

· Premium Member
4,466 Posts
These threads always reveal who has actually put bullets into living things and who has not, who spends actual time in the outdoors and who has not. Quite interesting to note the various perceptions and rationalizations :unsure:

121 - 140 of 165 Posts