pistol die setup question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by squirreld, Feb 13, 2010.

1. squirreld

squirreld

If I can get everyone's input on what I am going to be setting up, that would be great.

Lee decapper/sizer
    Redding Competition seater
    Lee taper crimp die (not the FCD, unless the fcd can only function as a taper crimp. I think rusty said he does this?)

this will be on a dillon 650.

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Unclebob is the 650 guru... he sleeps with his. If he can't answer the question the problem doesn't exist.

I'm sure he'll be on here as soon as he wakes up from his nap.

Jack

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

The Redding Comp Seating? Is the the Pro? Just follow those directions. It can be clocked and set for zero IIRC.

Lee Sizing die goes tight against the shellplate even let it raise the plate a little and then back it off just a smidge.

Lee FCD will try and size anything you put in it. You have to push the bullet past the sizing ring to get to the crimp part of the die. No way around it. So you can't avoid the potential for sizing based on setup. Lee crimp dies just get adjusted till all the flare is removed. No more no less. Pretty simple really.

4. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

6. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Also, sizing die should be adjusted like he said but in the final step before tightening the lock ring put a case in the station then tighten lock ring.

7. RustyFN

RustyFN

No you can't set the FCD up as just a crimp die. It will post size a round that is out of spec. I use the FCD for that reason. I use the post sizing ring as a case gage so I don't have to waste time with a case gage after it's all loaded. If I get a round that post sizes I set it to the side for inspection. I have only had two rounds get post sized out of thousands loaded including loading lead in 9mm and 45 auto. If you already have the standard crimp die I would start with that, it will work fine.

8. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

FCD adjustment in the video provides way more crimp then needed for autoloaders.

9. squirreld

squirreld

Hey C4W.
    your the reason I'm steering away from the FCD.
    I've followed your posts, and I cannot disagree with your argument.

So I guess its the taper crimp im getting.

I was looking at these for the seater
    http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/comphandseatdie.html
    I think your referring to what they call the "Pro" set.
    It has the same competition seater, part 55172 9mm for example. However its in a set with a sizer and crimp in carbide and non carbide flavors.
    The reason I was leaning to Lee is that my homework has lead me to believe Lee sizes further down the case than other manufacturers due to minimal flaring for case entrance.

Thanks firemanMike for the vids.
    Jack, im looking fwd to Ubobs input.

10. squirreld

squirreld

hey rusty.
    thanks for chiming in.

so u use the FCD as an auto case guage.
    and on them 2 rounds, how did you know the FCD sized em?

11. RustyFN

RustyFN

When the post sizing ring doesn't do anything with a very small taper crimp you can't feel anything happen. When the FCD post sizes a round you will feel resistance kind of like with the sizing die.

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I tend to agree. As long as you get a good Lee sizer your set. Send anything thats not perfect back. All of mine have been perfect. I only have used Dillon and Lee crimp dies. I notice no difference. If the seater is not the Micro Adjust seater then it will work like any other. Just follow their instructions. Be sure to NOT have the built in roll crimp (in the seater) touching the case. Thats the reason I say NOT to follow Lees directions on the video. He has you screwing the die down onto the case. Engaging the roll crimp on the case firmly. No reason for that. Any case variation is going to effect the pressure the seating stem has on the bullet. Adding variance/complication to the process. Thats my theory. He probably has his. If you bought the Redding PRO Comp Seater it has no roll crimp built in and is considered the best in the business.

13. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I found that I flare the case enough to feel it drag on my flare as it entered the mouth of the die. From my experiance the FCD felt very different in 9mm vs 10mm vs .357/.38. Each was unique.

14. squirreld

squirreld

It is the micro adjust seater.
    and no it does not have any crimp function.
    [​IMG]