close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pistol Competition Classes

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by RockyMtnG20, Feb 3, 2012.

1. RockyMtnG20

RockyMtnG20 NRA Life Member

I am going to buy a Glock 35 Gen 4 and was planning to put an aftermarket 9mm barrel in it for competitive shooting. Would that disqualify it for any stock classes? What if I put a threaded barrel in it that makes the barrel a little longer?

What's the difference between Iron Sight & Production Class? I am guessing Production Class is more restrictive? I would like to hear what if anything is allowed to be done to the firearms in these two classes.

Basically I am interested in shooting in classes that do not allow comps or optics and am trying to figure out what these classes are and what is allowed.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

An aftermarket barrel will place you in Masters/Unlimited category in GSSF. All other categories, defined by pistol size and not shooter ability, are for stock Glocks--no aftermarket parts except for sights and grip tape. The G35 is only eligible for Competition (stock longslide and stock factory ported pistols) and Unlimited categories.

IDPA and USPSA have their own rules defining stock.

If you are going to shoot 9mm, then get a 9mm pistol. While conversion barrels may be OK for cheap practice, I would never suggest one for competition, as there are other different parts involved, parts such as the extractor, ejector, firing pin, recoil spring assembly and magazines.

I've been a Glocker since 1996. I've never owned a conversion barrel and never will.

GSSF rules at www.gssfonline.com

IDPA rules at www.idpa.com

USPSA rules at www.uspsa.com

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

3. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Being that you're in the GSSF forum, I will answer your question based on GSSF rules.

1) There is no "Iron Sight" or even "Production" class. There are only STOCK and Unlimited classes.

With the STOCK classes, there is Amateur Civilian (or Guardian, if you qualify - can only shoot one of these two), Competition, SubCompact, etc. On the GSSF site, you can open a match entry document, and it will show you what guns are eligible in which division.

Almost sounds like you've been looking at 3-gun stuff or something, which is the only organization I can recall that uses the term "Iron Sight" class.

All of the organizations have their own rules. There's not a "one size fits all" philosophy. Go to each site and download the rules.

4. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

The answer to your question is Yes. I asked this same question (just not with a Gen 4) a few days ago.

Its the caliber conversion that kicks it.

5. RockyMtnG20

Thanks for the responses guys. I finally stumbled onto the correct GSSF website and found the STOCK rules that answered some questions.

What .40S&W ammo is suggested for competition. Is there one that minimizes recoil & over psi? Or is it more concern to have the power to knock over the steel?

6. DannyR

GSSF Steel is calibrated to drop when hit by 9mm 115-gr ammo. Factory .40 ammo will drop any steel with power to spare. I'd suggest using 180-gr ammo. My 1st choice would be S&B, followed by Blazer and Winchester USA.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. RockyMtnG20

I have been using Winchester .40S&W 165Gr from Walmart in a buddy's G22 at $32/100rds. Doesn't 180gr recoil more than the 165gr? I read somewhere that they chrono ammo at matches so people can shoot their reloads?

It seems that local ranges do IDPA and GSSF is a national circuit? I was reading IDPA rules and I could buy my Gen 4 G35 and install a KKM .40 S&W barrel, do some trigger work, & install TruGlo TFO sights and still shoot the SSP Stock Service Pistol class.

8. DannyR

A G35 really needs no fancy trigger work. It's the shooter, not the pistol. Ammo is not chrono'ed at a GSSF match, as there are no minimum power levels. Winchester USA 165-gr, usually hard to find, has a smidgen less recoil than Winchester 180's.

You will see that GSSF Master Class shooters are unbelievably fast and accurate with stock Glocks. GSSF is all about accuracy at speed.

9. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

There certainly are faster one's, but here's a couple videos, the gun is a stock G17 with a 5lb trigger:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVJuRBptMmo&feature=related"]GSSF Glock M 2011 Lexington 3 - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=xCruZPZZiHQ

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  10. MisterB

MisterB

The Walmart "white box" Winchester 165gr .40 has more 'felt' recoil than the 180gr of the same type. The reason for that is that the 180gr is moving a bit slower leaving the barrel, and that makes it feel a bit softer to the shooter. I have shot quite a bit of both types and can attest to that personally.

I reload my own now, and I find I can usually get a better shooting round with 180gr bullets over less powder and I still have plenty of knockdown power. For a non-comped gun, I think heavy bullet at slower speed is the way to go.

Everything you read about IDPA SSP sounds right, as long as your trigger work doesn't include any mods you can see from outside the gun (like overtravel stops or a different trigger lever). You can put the Tru-Glo sights on for GSSF also. You can 'improve' your trigger for GSSF as long as it still only uses parts available from Glock, but the G35 trigger is pretty good stock. I don't see the point of using a KKM barrel unless you plan to shoot a bunch of soft lead bullets. Stick with the stock G35 barrel.

IDPA is national circuit as well, by the way. There are state matches and national matches and even a world shoot (hence the name International Defensive Pistol Association). Same rules apply from local match to world match.

11. RockyMtnG20

Thanks for the insight MisterB. I kinda want the G35 to be a multi purpose pistol for me. I guess leaving it stock is the way to go especially for competitive shooting. I've had a Gen 2 G19 since 1993 or 1994 and I am still using the original barrel.

About the trigger, I recently shot a friend's XD-M and although the grip didn't feel nearly as good as the G22 Gen 4, the way the trigger broke worked well for me. What can be done to the stock Glock trigger?

12. DannyR

The G35 should come with a "-" connector. You cannot do anything else in the stock categories. If you are obsessed with having the world's lightest trigger, then you will have to shoot "Unlimited" with the Masters, and a light trigger will not help you against them.

13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

when I looked at the videos Butch listed

I saw one showing Dan shooting unlimited in Orlando in 2009

since I know Dan I clicked on it

It was disappointing to see the banner at the bottom of the video

it read join obama's 2012 reelection team.

14. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

That was DAN not Don. :whistling::dunno:

Don

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

OOPS! I stand corrected but tell me it does not look like your avatar.

When I went back to correct the post it occurred to me I was only ONE letter off:O)

16. Butch

That video is a great example too!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ArHq67ngt0&feature=related"]2009 Orlando GSSF Match - YouTube[/ame]

You two do kinda dress the same..... ;)

17. Don At PC

It does but you know very well I don't shoot that well and probably never will. Plus I am 12 years older. :faint: But I understand the confusion. :embarassed: See'ya at Griffin.

Don

18. Don At PC

Be nice Butch. Are we going to see you at Griffin or Morganton?

Don

19. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I was gonna say that, what Butch said.

20. Butch

I'd love to but it's a long drive, and ya just can't trust the weather this time of year.....it could make the drive a whole lot longer.