Pistol Case for Car?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by G19/48, Oct 20, 2020.

1. G19/48

G19/48 Previously G48 OEM Guy

My employer will no longer allow firearms inside the building but still allows in the garage. On range days, I would like to take my Glock with me and keep it in the car. I do not carry during the work week. On the weekends, I often go out to the parks and trials. However, even in gun-friendly Virginia, many local jurisdictions recently issued codes to prohibit firearms in county parks and other public recreational places. There are more and more occasions on which I would either have to lock my CCW in the vehicle or not carry at all when I plan to go hiking, etc.

I had a FSDC Caretaker 9000 some years ago but gave it away since I rarely used it. Now I need to get a new one and plan to strap it with the cable to my car seat. Is the FSDC vault still the best for vehicle? What do you pros use these days? Thanks for any tips on securing the pistol inside a parked car.

2. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

Learn to carry concealed and behave yourself. If you have to defend your life it’s better to have 12 jurors than 6 paw bearers.

PaseMkr, Mbnv992 and skyfall like this.

3. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

If a thief knows you have a gun in your car, a little cable won't stop him. Be discreet. :zipmouth:

FAS1, n2g, skyfall and 1 other person like this.
  4. BlackJack24

BlackJack24

Don't leave guns in your car. Period.

skyfall likes this.
  5. Mbnv992

Mbnv992

Yep, never leave a gun in the car. Too many variables that can happen that could make said gun disappear.

6. warbow150

warbow150

I’ve had a console safe for a few years. There’s rarely a gun in it, but there has been on one or two occasions. It’s a solid steel locking box with four digit combo that replaces the liner of your center console while still using the stock lid. From the outside it looks exactly like an oem console. It’s a “buy me some time and make it difficult for them” add on.

It’s solid, well made, and I like it a lot. Cost ~ $250.00 if I recall correctly?
    Looks like this:

Attached Files:

redneck ron likes this.
  7. •G19•

•G19• Previously Beard Man

FAS1 likes this.
  8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I bought a few metal cases that are used for air travel. They have either a key or 4 digit lock with a stainless steel cable. They would delay a theft a few minutes. They would keep a kid safe if the kid was in your car. Not super impressive. When moving a gun around the car the first rule is to keep a towel. Or jacket or cloth bag so the gun is not seen.
    My favorite is a dewalt tool bag. Can work as a mini range bag with pistol and a few mags and hearing protection and glasses. But i keep that on the floor in the back seat and use the bag to get the gun to the trunk. I lock the metal box to the trunk hinge.
    You can lock the box to under the seat frame as well.
    Remember this is a short term storage deal when needed. Its not super secure. But it beats leaving the gun in a glovebox or console.
    When I had my last job that required a gun. I had a 12 inch length of pretty heavy chain padlocked to the seat frame. I had a second heavy padlock with heat shrink to protect the trigger guard or frame of a revolver. This was way more serious. But my employer required a way to secure a duty gun that was much more secure. If you can deal with that .. I suggest the chain. Its a much better way to keep your gun. A glock with a polymer trigger guard may require a cable to go thru the magwell to be secure.

9. akpls

akpls

Tuffy Security Products has several products that will secure a firearm in a vehicle. They are not inexpensive.

www.tuffyproducts.com

I have both the console safe and under seat lockbox in my truck. A thief would need to have some serious tools and time to disassemble things to get at whatever is in them.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

10. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I use a sentry car safe or clamshell case sold at most larger gun and or hardware stores.

11. FAS1

FAS1

I don't like keeping a gun in a vehicle for the most part, but understand the people that can't carry at work, but want to be armed to and from. I would not use anything cabled, especially those tiny 1/8" cables that usually come with small lock boxes.

Get a strong box (the thicker steel the better) and bolt it in the rear (trunk if you have one) of your vehicle.

G48 OEM Guy likes this.