Piru Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Oct 19, 2002.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

This is the last West Coast match of the year. Hope it's been a good one for you.:)

2. sportshooter

sportshooter .com or .info Millennium Member

All quiet on the western front. The World Series may have taken a toll on match attendance. My shooting buddy faxed his pre-registration on Monday before the match and his papers included shooter #60 (and that counts multiple entries, my 2 and his 3). We showed up at 1:45 and it was a ghost land. We walked up to each stage and shot immediately.

I wish we'd shot better -- it would have been nice to take advantage of the small field to post better scores. My friend has been 2nd almost 10 times and he isn't likely to get a first based on today's performances. I shot very underwhelming scores in Stockmeister and Unlimited as well. Unless Bobby shot with is eyes closed and a dozen other guys who might have showed up didn't...

But I'm excusing my scores because my 9 year old was shooting his first match and I was very focused on his experience. I had to explain to him not to call out to me in between strings. :) He shot very safely and exhibited excellent gun handling and lousy trigger control. Safety first. He's got probably 400 points in misses. On the upside, he got to watch a couple of adults shoot little better than he did on the plates.

Saw GlockBear though we didn't speak.

Millard

3. Glockbear

Glockbear Millennium Member

I got there at 10:19 am and was was done in one hour flat. I dusted off the G22 for comp class shot the G17 for stock am. Somehow I did better with the G22. I had three failures to fire with the G17 that I assumed were bad reloads on my part. However, I stopped by the armorors table and he asked how many rounds I had through the G17 and if I had experienced any misfires. I replied, about 15,000 and yes. He replaced the striker and I got a reshoot for Glock M. That allowed me to improve my Stock am score to 107.7 from 111.2 I felt so happy about it. I drove down to the LAX range and shot their GSSF indoor league match. I shot a 491-34x. The only downside was having to work a 4 to midnight. But hey..... ya got to love the game! Take care gang.

Beware the Bear

4. myrep

myrep

Ditto...Millard

This was my 1st GSSF shoot. Learned a lot! (note to self)Keep the bullets on the paper! Ha!

Did better in CivAm with G19 than Comp W/ G35. Will be back-

5. GeorgeCA

GeorgeCA Millennium Member

Well I had a Great time! (first gssf shoot) I was feeling pretty good with my performance until I got to the plates. What a humbling experience! I kept shooting low!:( Oh well my friend and I had a great time,great staff. So back to the range I go and I will defintley be back!
    George

6. DannyR

George,

It's easy to overdose on humble pie when shooting plates for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd times. I did. Most common error is shooting too fast. 2nd most is shooting too low. It happens to everyone.

7. Benelli Boy

Benelli Boy

Seemed too quiet for a GSSF match. Usually a long wait at each station, but not today. Got there at 0930 and done by 1030. Lots of RO's shooting the match since no one was there. Had fun, but could have done better. :cool:

8. Keno343

Keno343

I shot Sunday afternoon and there were only 4 other shooters on the range. Looked like there were going to be about 160 total shooters for the match. No waiting at the stages made for a quick match and some good scores :)

9. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

I shot early on Saturday. There was NO waiting and the light was great BUT, like Millard, I did not give a supreme performance. I shot my normal pace on each stage but messed up with a couple of D's on the 25 yard target i 5 to Glock. I inaugarated my G21 for Stockmeister and really liked the way it performed. PROBLEM: I did not get enough practice with it to get accustom to its recoil and the recovery.

I loaned out all of my stock Glocks to friends so that they could practice and be ready for the Shreveport match next weekend. The only Glock that I didn't loan out was my G21, so I thought I would use it for the next couple of matches.

Bruce and Chris had everything under control and the RO's were very supportive to all Shooters.

I wish that more could have attended!!!
    Bobby Carver
    B&B Enterprise
    "Home of the CARVER Mount"

10. sportshooter

sportshooter .com or .info Millennium Member

Hey, if Dale and Matt stayed home, I might luck out again!

Millard (who is sorry that he missed Mr. Carver on Saturday)

11. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

What were your scores Millard?

12. myrep

myrep

Having some fun...Glock Style! Great day at Piru 2002.

13. myrep

myrep

1 down...I hope I have enough rounds left for the rest...?

14. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

WOW; that's a different view of the plate rack. Has anyone shot on the plates setup this way and without the bails of hay and care to give some comments as to your experience. It's quite a different view.

Area looks like the Mojave Desert near Victorville. Ah, the memories of the Alert Detachment at George A.F.B. ;Q ;Q ;Q

15. myrep

myrep

I know it is common to shoot LOW on the plates. But for some reason I shot fine and fast last week on a "normal" rack, and this rack took some extra work. My eyes seemed to drift down towards the hay on that first plate. Koo-koo I know. I just need more practice...

16. Fireglock

It's only natural that your eyes drift down to the hay bales. The bales are light colored and that's distracting when shooting at another light colored object, especially somthing small like the plates. When the plates are setup with tall brush or weeds fairly close behind them and a light breeze is blowing it can be distracting as well, the motion draws your eye! Concentrate, concentrate! ;f

17. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Millard, I didn't stay home but went to Vegas for the Infinity Open.

The hay never bothered me shooting at piru and it has a huge affect on reducing frags comming back uprange. I wish more ranges used it.

18. Fireglock

Splash back hasn't been a problem for me. What I wish we could remove is the lead rain on the sides and behind the plates, or poppers for that matter. Gateway at Jax and Skip-J in Anderson both have that issue. The pits back up to each other and you end up with the splash coming back down. Nice ranges but the lead rain can be substantial.

19. DannyR

Guess I best bring my hard hat along if I can make it to JAX.:cool:

20. Fireglock

Actually I've been hit more times at Anderson. :) Jax does present the opportunity for some intersting sound effects. ;f