close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Piru 2003 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Oct 18, 2003.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Come on folks, what's it like out West

2. Benelli Boy

Benelli Boy

It was warm, in the upper 80's to 90's. Not a whole lot of people shooting to my surprise. I was there at 11:00. There were no lines at the various stations. It took longer to load my magazines than to get on deck. The RO's were pleasant as always. :)

3. rljan

rljan

I agree with Benelli Boy. The weather was warm, the people were friendly and there was no waiting to shoot. I drove for 2 hours to get there and was done in 30 minutes. It was a great day.

4. myrep

myrep

Shot Sat, with no lines, cool RO's (even though it was 100 in the shade), and got to meet some friendly Glock owners.

My friend even got a private (sort of) lesson from Chris@Glock. Big thanks to the ISI crew and GSSF folks. Good times!

5. serpentara

serpentara

Shot Sun with no lines... and it was in the middle of NOWHERE... 2 miles of dirt road and 6" of dust on my car just proves it.
    Everyone was really friendly and wiling to give advice to a tyro like me :)

I had the armorer go over my gun for me just to make sure it was in top working order, and I did not have 1 failure whatsoever even in the dirt and grime of Piru.

One range officer almost gave me a heart attack:

He would tell me to load and make ready, so I would load a mag of 10 in, chamber a round, drop the mag and using my speedloader, force another round into the mag and re-insert. After firing a string, he says "Here why don’t you do this?", takes the round out of my hand, puts it in the chamber, slams it home, and then inserts the mag. I almost fainted! I tried to tell him that I had heard that you could chip the extractor etc from doing that... and he said "Nah I have been doing it for years no problem. He then asked the other RO's if they had heard if it was bad and they said that they have heard mixed reviews. I then offered to go talk to the Glock Armorer that was on staff who more than strongly confirmed my suspicion. I was just a newbie and thus didn't want to argue too much (I didn’t mention the guys name to the armorer because I wasn't to get anyone in trouble... just to make sure I wasn't going crazy) The armorer confirmed my suspicion but 5 min on GT had taught me better than to close the slide on a loaded chamber!

Anyway it was lots and lots of fun, and I noticed myself getting better as I progressed. The Glock the plates was a blast, and I went from getting 5 plates in 13 seconds to 6 in 9. I know that with a few more tries I could have been in the 6-7 zone. I just wish they had it a little more often!

So when do they post the results?!?!?

6. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

That's one thing that you frequently find at GSSF matches, volunteer ROs that don't know d=== about Glocks telling new shooters how to use their gun. Glad you were on the ball. The results are frequently out Wednesday or Thursday after the match. Not always but usually. Patience, it could be a week. ;f

7. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Ha! Try driving another couple miles up to the Steel Challenge ranges.

8. serpentara

serpentara

I WON!!!!!!!!!!!! Second Place Amateur Civilian C class!!!!!!!! One more shot knocking down a plate or in the 10 ring would have been a pistol but WHO CARES!!!!!!!! 2 would have mean I was in B class and I wouldn't have even placed!!!

MAN that is so much fun... now maybe my friends won't think I am crazy for liking this stuff so much ;) Maybe... I can make a few converts :cool:

9. Clem

Clem

Plates in 9.88 with the stock gun?!? WOW!!!;W ;W ;W ;W Great shooting! Tony