Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Huge Member
11,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Was digging around in the basement and ran accross a stack of Shooting Times magazines from 1966. The flag on the cover of one caught my attention. It is an articled by the late/great Col. Charles Askins. Askins was a WWII veteran who admitted doing some questionable things in his autobiography 'Unrepentant Sinner'. He also served as an advisor in Vietnam early in the war training indigenous troops. His disdain for the M16 runs throughout the article.

And his closing paragraph. Kind of fun today looking at how far the M16/M4 has come. WWII vets weren't very fond of it when it first came out. Col. Jeff Cooper called it a "poodle shooter".

And now at trip in the Wayback machine to some obligatory ads from 1966.

$225 for a G3 rifle was a lot of money in 1966. $60 for a Norwegian Colt 45 is interesting.

Here' some better prices. The cut off top rifle is a Carcano for $20. Further down we have a Enfield MkIII "Jungle Carbine" for $13. M95 Steyr for $15,'03 Springfields for $50, M14 "Assault Rifle" for $115, M1 Carbine for $65 ($85 w/folding stock), Armalite Ar7 for $35.

·
Huge Member
11,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best thing about those old ads is, you just mail in your check and order and the gun comes right to your door.
I was 12 in 1966. I begged my dad more than once to order a M1 Carbine, Garand, Springfield, Mauser, Luger, P38 etc, etc out of his American Rifleman mags. "Old army guns, nobody wants those things" was all he would say.

Reactions: dbuck47 and Deltic

·
Registered
12,114 Posts
I do think the original M-16 was not quite right. The 6mm SAW round or something like the .224 Valkyrie would have been better.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Best thing about those old ads is, you just mail in your check and order and the gun comes right to your door.
Also you could go down the local hardware store or Sears and buy .270 Win and .30-06 bolt guns and ammo. Walk right out, no fuss no muss. Don

·
M62/76
12,550 Posts
I always enjoy seeing the old gun ads...

Reactions: Joshhtn

·
Banned
3,351 Posts
Many old timers will ALWAYS resist any kind of change.

When the .30-40 Krag replaced the Trapdoor Springfield the old soldiers were adamant that those tiny .30 cal. bullets would never stop a trained soldier.

They never learn.

If it had been up to foilks like Askins and Cooper, our troops would still carry 1903 Springfields and Colt SAA revolvers..

·
Registered
12,114 Posts
Many old timers will ALWAYS resist any kind of change.

When the .30-40 Krag replaced the Trapdoor Springfield the old soldiers were adamant that those tiny .30 cal. bullets would never stop a trained soldier.

They never learn.

If it had been up to foilks like Askins and Cooper, our troops would still carry 1903 Springfields and Colt SAA revolvers..
The round nosed bullets used in the early days of smokeless powder bolt actions had a reputation of punching very small clean holes. The spitzers invented by the Germans tended to tumble and do more damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts