close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pigs Taken in San Ardo, CA (with pics)

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by safetyslug, Oct 11, 2002.

1. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

I just got back from a pig hunt in San Ardo, CA. My father and I both bagged trophy boars (over 2inch teeth). I took mine around 6:45pm from approx 275 yards with my Sako 75 (7mm Rem Mag). I nailed him right in the back (breaking his spine) and missing all of his entrails (lucky, golden shot). He had some nice 3.25 teeth and he weighed a slight 140 lbs. My father took a bigger boar (195lbs smaller teeth though) about 5:45 pm from 50-65 yards with a BAR .30-06. Funny enough he shot his in about the same place, but he missed the spine and nailed the liver and, unfortunately the large intestine (have to soak the meat now in some salt water to get rid of the gamey tasted).

I brought my Glock 20, but I never got a chance to use it(given the long distance of my shot).

Here is my hog.

2. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

3. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Sounds like a terrific hunt compounded by the fact that you were able to share it with your dad.

I'm looking forward to going boar hunting next month so this has helped to increase my anticipation. I think I'm going to bring a Browning A-bolt in .300 win mag and my Ruger .454 as a backup or primary if I can get close enough.

Thanks for sharing this with your buds at GT. :)

4. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

It really was a great hunt. Your 300 win mag should get you some results even if you have to reach out a bit to touch one =).

5. SSC

SSC

Were you hunting on public or private land? Nice hogs!

Regards, SSC

6. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

We were on private land. The land is a 5000 acre ranch owned by a very lucky man and his wife. They have a wealth of game there:

Hogs
    Deer
    Turkeys
    Dove
    Quail
    Bobcats
    Coyotes
    and on and on

7. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

nice hog, nice shot. congrats!

8. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Great hunting sotry on getting those pigs with Dad!

Can't wait till my boys break 12 years old to start taking them out.

Looks like you'll have some pork!

How many pounds of meat did that 140 pounder yield you?

Gonna blend the meats into sausage and keep some of the chops for steaks?

We have them about 4 hours drive from Seattle but very very few admit to claiming those feral hogs. Here they are wholly unregualted so you could shoot a whole herd.

That rnacher is lucky. I sometimes dreaming of practicin g law privately again and nailing a huge cash settlement for my client and using my fee to buy a couple hundred acres myself;)

9. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

Both porkers should give us a combined 50-75 pounds of good meat, or at least that is what my butcher told us. I should expect to get some good port steaks (off the rear legs), 4 good size roasts, ribs (of course), chops and sausage. My butcher does a great job with the sausage (mild and hot).

A good tip for those who are new to wild boar meat is to soak the meat overnight in salt water. This takes out some of the gamey taste and softens the meat a touch. Then mariniate the meat as desired.