Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I’ve been reloading for a couple years now and I’ve never came across this before. I have worked up 180 grain precision delta bullets using 8.0 grains of Longshot and Cci large pistol primers with no issues until today. I finally ran out of my 2000 Cci primers and used Remington large pistol because it’s all I could find. I fired the first one of them today and noticed like it pierced the primer? Thinking it was a fluke I fired one more out of a different gun Glock 20 and 29 and same result so I stopped. Any ideas
Wood Font Circle Metal Symmetry

·
Registered
39,009 Posts
Not all primers are the same. I have found RP primers softer than cci. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
What era are those RP primers? The Rem 2 1/2 primers I've used have all been nickel like CCI.

Reactions: 835mag

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
View attachment 1097012
Bought at Sheels this June so new I think. Not 5 1/2 but 2 1/2.
That's right. Duh. Got going faster than my brain. I fixed my post.

New production, it seems, and obviously something changed. I'm with Fred in that they might just be soft or thin cups.

I've never had such issues, but mine were produced prior to the production stoppage.

I wouldn't continue to shoot them since gas cutting could be happening. Or try reserving for modest pressure loads and see if they work ok.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I look at the picture of your brass and notice that only some of the primers are pierced- it's not consistent.
I don't use Longshot, so I don't have an opinion about your load. My first thought however was mentioned above- are the Remmy primers running hotter than your CCI's?
Second thought would be your powder charging process. Do you use a powder dropper, a scoop, a digital dispenser/scale combo? The fact that only some primers pierced is a clue there.
Use of a chrono would tell you much about your primers change and how it affected your load recipe- not every component in a reloading formula is interchangeable- sometimes the outcome is...unexpected.
Let us know what you learn.

·
Registered
39,009 Posts
That's right. Duh. Got going faster than my brain. I fixed my post.

New production, it seems, and obviously something changed. I'm with Fred in that they might just be soft or thin cups.

I've never had such issues, but mine were produced prior to the production stoppage.

I wouldn't continue to shoot them since gas cutting could be happening. Or try reserving for modest pressure loads and see if they work ok.
My exp with RP was mostly in rifle loads. Never had an issue with pistol, but never ran magnum loads with them.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Those brass colored primers look flattened as well as pierced. Check your powder measure. Still 8.0 gr.? Did you change powder or bullet weight?
I noticed that too. Could be another symptom of thinner cups or, as you allude to, something drifting with the metered charge.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I look at the picture of your brass and notice that only some of the primers are pierced- it's not consistent.
I don't use Longshot, so I don't have an opinion about your load. My first thought however was mentioned above- are the Remmy primers running hotter than your CCI's?
Second thought would be your powder charging process. Do you use a powder dropper, a scoop, a digital dispenser/scale combo? The fact that only some primers pierced is a clue there.
Use of a chrono would tell you much about your primers change and how it affected your load recipe- not every component in a reloading formula is interchangeable- sometimes the outcome is...unexpected.
Let us know what you learn.
I definitely need a chrono. I use a Rcbs digital powder dispenser scale combo but check on another digital scale every once in awhile and have always been identical. Just the 2 Remingtons we’re pierced as it had black burn marks. Here’s a pic of the rem on left Cci middle and a Underwood 180 grain hollowpoint on the right all shot today
Brown Wood Rectangle Silver Grey

·
Registered
319 Posts
I only ever absolutely always use CCI 350 for my 10mm loads. I also use only Starline, Winchester, and Norma brass.
My G20 is a 1993 and I am the sole owner, so I know every modification done to it. That amounts to an extended slide release lever, nothing else. Stock barrel, stock springs, stock firing pin. Yes, some parts get replaced periodically because I shoot this pistol weekly, but it is always Glock parts.
I load very heavy for my 10mm's, and have not seen those results in standard book loads.
One thing that I notice is the pattern of the firing pin indent in the primers- it has a rounded center section in the pic of the 3 shells. Normally you would see a rectangular indent, with a slight rounded center. Yours are very pronounced.
Here is a pic of 2 pieces of brass from my guns. The one on the left is from the G20, the one on the right is from my Delta Elite. The G20 got a new firing pin after this batch of brass was inspected.
Household hardware Jewellery Button Circle Metal

By the way, the case on the left was loaded with a Montana Bullet Works 200 gr WFN-GC over a bunch of AA#9, for about 1200 FPS-not a light load. The one on the right was 2005 vintage Double Tap that I used for testing and breaking in a new barrel.
Bottom line of all this rambling?
Check your scale, lower your powder charge back to minimum and work up with the new primers, and check your firing pin condition.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only ever absolutely always use CCI 350 for my 10mm loads. I also use only Starline, Winchester, and Norma brass.
My G20 is a 1993 and I am the sole owner, so I know every modification done to it. That amounts to an extended slide release lever, nothing else. Stock barrel, stock springs, stock firing pin. Yes, some parts get replaced periodically because I shoot this pistol weekly, but it is always Glock parts.
I load very heavy for my 10mm's, and have not seen those results in standard book loads.
One thing that I notice is the pattern of the firing pin indent in the primers- it has a rounded center section in the pic of the 3 shells. Normally you would see a rectangular indent, with a slight rounded center. Yours are very pronounced.
Here is a pic of 2 pieces of brass from my guns. The one on the left is from the G20, the one on the right is from my Delta Elite. The G20 got a new firing pin after this batch of brass was inspected.
View attachment 1097066

By the way, the case on the left was loaded with a Montana Bullet Works 200 gr WFN-GC over a bunch of AA#9, for about 1200 FPS-not a light load. The one on the right was 2005 vintage Double Tap that I used for testing and breaking in a new barrel.
Bottom line of all this rambling?
Check your scale, lower your powder charge back to minimum and work up with the new primers, and check your firing pin condition.
Thanks for the advise. Yeah rookie mistake on thinking the primer change wouldn’t make a difference. Also my Gen 4 20 and 29 are all oem except I have a KKM on the 20 and Lonewolf for the 29 with the hope it would be easier on the brass. Never had one malfunction or jam on any of my reloads. My oal is always at 1.250-1.255

·
Hey! Who turned out the lights?
1,798 Posts
IMO, you have a pressure issue, but it's not consistent. Not all your primers are pierced. Not all your primers show flattening.

There are many factors that can lead to pressure issues, especially if you're close to max already.

I'm not familiar with 10mm, but I would suggest "starting at the beginning". Consider what, if anything, has changed. You may be using the same powder, or primers, but is it a different lot? There can be lot-to-lot variations.
Are you still seating to the same depth? Have you changed the seating die, it's adjustment, your press, or even the shell holder?
How consistent are your bullet weights? It's supposed to be 180 gr, but is it really?
You may want to think about checking your digital scale against an analog one. A small variation in powder charge MAY not make such a difference when you're throwing a 40 to 60 grain charge, but when you're charges are much smaller, those same small variations can make a big difference.
Has your case volume changed? Has the case manufacturer changed their specs. You may have different generations of brass. Are your case lengths consistent? How about your crimps?

Where does your load stand now? Is it already close to max? If it was lower pressure, a lot of these issues might not have as much impact.

At the very least, back off one full grain (IMO) and work your way back up. Watch for pressure signs.

If your pressure is close to the edge, or excessive, at the very least you are beating up your firearm. At worst, you may be setting yourself up for a catastrophic failure.

My .02.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Any chance you're getting bullet setback?

Are they all running the same projectile?

I recently caught some undersize projectiles I was loading and had the mfg replace them. Could have been a real issue had I chambered them. I'm running the same Longshot load too.

Case/neck tension could also be an issue.

FWIW, those striker hits look much deeper than mine.

·
Super Moderator
5,982 Posts
You have a Pistol that is unlocking while pressure is still high and you are getting striker wipes on the primers.

·
Registered
39,009 Posts
Hogdon shows 8.2gr under a Sierra jhc. So tickling the top end yes, but not likely over Imo. The issue only appeared when you switched primers, so i would be suspecting that. RP was not making primers for awhile, could be a qc issue? If this is a new lot, contact them, see if there is a recall. If not, you may be starting one. It isnt common for primer cups to be out of spec from lot to lot, but i have seen it.

·
Registered
39,009 Posts
You have a Pistol that is unlocking while pressure is still high and you are getting striker wipes on the primers.
Its pretty minimal but worth checking number of rds on the RS.

Reactions: MarkCO
1 - 20 of 25 Posts