Pictures from March 2005 trip to Europe

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by hwyhobo, Apr 12, 2005.

1. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Here are some pictures from my March trip to Europe. Trip was mostly work, but I managed to squeeze in a little time for sightseeing.

Edited the URL above after some reorganization. Now it points straight to the Venice gallery.

2. hile

hile

Look good Hwy.

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Boy, tough crowd. One laconic response in one week. No advice, nothing? Nobody likes Venice, heh?

Speaking of laconic, anyone know the story of the shortest (most laconic) military reply of all times? No, I don't mean "Nuts". Maybe we can liven up this forum with unrelated discussion.

4. PirateShot

PirateShot CalmerThanYou

I enjoyed the pictures. I also really liked your other pictures from the united states gallery, the south east in particular. Nice work. What kind of equipment are you using?

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Thanks. I guess I do like extremes, so South West deserts and mountains, North West rainforest, and South East swamps (and let's not forget the spectacular thunderstorms) are my favorite areas in the US. If I ever become rich, I will buy a house in each area and will move every three months. :)
    I'm afraid it's a bit on the ancient side now, as far as digital is concerned. Most of the pictures you saw were show with Olympus 3040Z. I don't think anyone sells it anymore. I've been looking at Canon 20D and this lens, but since I have just paid my taxes, it will have to wait for a while. :(

Olympus 3040Z is a nice camera considering its age, but it is annoyingly slow to react sometimes. I've missed quite a few shots because of it.

6. c-mama

c-mama

I cannot believe I missed this. I have been anxiously awaiting your return to see more art from you. I'm so sorry it took me so long to get here. :)

Awesome.

Breathtaking.

I'm in awe.

I do not have time to go through more of your pictures, but I did gaze upon each photo in the March 2005 trip to Europe.

Thank you so much for sharing your trip. Again, your photography is beautiful. You did not disappoint me. ;f

~wg c-mama

7. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Thanks for your kind words (as always). I guess next time I will have to send you a PM when I post a URL. :) Give me a few months. It looks like I will be going back to Europe (mostly UK now) for another 2 months or so.

8. Busta Capp

Busta Capp

Just found these, quite nice pic's. I am going to Venice for the first time later in May so these are very inspirational.

Any thoughts on what see?

9. c-mama

c-mama

#wav. I would love to know whenever you put new pictures up. I love looking at your work.

I was keepting track of the forum, but things got a bit hectic around here and I forgot. ;)

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It's really a matter of personal tastes. Piazza San Marco one has to see, of course, but to me the biggest attractions were the old residential areas, like Cannaregio or Castello. I stayed at this hotel. It was considerably cheaper (40-50% less) than hotels around Piazza San Marco, and yet it is only a 30 minute walk from there (and the quality of the hotel is quite acceptable). What's even better, you're right on the edge of Cannaregio, and you can walk all around Venice if you wish. It is also peaceful and quiet at night, whereas Strada Nuovo is quite rowdy in the evening (and occassional processions of drunken youth at night are nothing to cherish).

I would say whatever you want to see, you will. Venice is really small and easy to get around as long as you don't mind walking. Make sure you take a good map with you wherever you go. In some areas it is easy to get lost (although if you just take the dog's approach of walking in ever larger circles, you will quickly find your way out).

How long will you be staying there?

11. Busta Capp

Busta Capp

We will be staying there 3 nights at the locanda santa maria formosa. Part of a honeymoon whirlwind tour through France and Italy.

I hope I get some nice shots like yours. I especially like the shot at night of the back of the restaurant facing the canal. It has a very interesting mood due to the lighting.

Keep the picks coming!

12. chip00

chip00

That is an expensive lens you are considering Hwyhobo. $1100 for the lens alone at B&H. And it is not even super wide.

13. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

That's very true. I am considering it for its brightness. I shoot a lot in difficult lighting conditions, and rarely do I have an opportunity to drag a tripod with me, so I improvise. Bright lens is very important. I would go with primes, but they are so slow to employ when you need different focal lenght. More than one body is a beautiful solution, of course, but then you pay a lot for the bodies, and you also pay with extra bulk. No free lunch.

As for the superwide, with digital, it is not that terribly important. If you really want a nice pano, you can stitch it from multiple photographs. In addition, for superwide you frequently pay with distortions throughout the range.

Yes, the cost of that "L" scares me a bit, primarily because I do shoot sometimes in situations where damage to the lens is a possibility.

14. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Congratulations. I hope your future wife doesn't get easily offended by smells from canals. ;P ;f
    There are so many places there like that one, you will be amazed with choices.
    I sure hope to, for many years to come. :)