Glock Talk banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts
Very cool looking gun...make sure and let us know how it shoots !
it looks similar to my wife's "baby desert eagle" but the eagle doesn't have that nice finish. Anyone looking for a heavy all metal gun built like the Star, check out the baby eagle.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Very cool looking gun...make sure and let us know how it shoots !
it looks similar to my wife's "baby desert eagle" but the eagle doesn't have that nice finish. Anyone looking for a heavy all metal gun built like the Star, check out the baby eagle.
I've got one of those as well.

The design is totally different (the BE is heavily based on the CZ 75), but you're right, its built like a tank just like most Stars.

You are going to love that Megastar. I have one just like it that I bought new in '92. It has many thousands of rounds though it and shows minimal wear. I bought 2 of the Pro-mag 10 round mags for it also. The Pro-mags are both a little sticky on release, I just haven't got around to polishing them yet. Star built these pistols like tanks. They were designed to handle the hottest loads out there. The research I have done suggests that .45acp was a second choice, with 10mm being the first. The 10 is a heavy recoiling auto pistol round. Others have converted 45 frames to 10mm and the gun shoot themselves apart. So the Megastar was built from the ground up to handle it. The were also designed as a military side arm (lanyard loop) but were not in production in time for Uncle Sam's trial when he was looking to replace the 1911. I found that the blued .45 is on the rare side and not really blued. It is a black phosphate finish for corrosion resistance. Mine has developed a patina on the back strap over the years. Enjoy your gun and sorry this was kind of rambling.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
You are going to love that Megastar. I have one just like it that I bought new in '92. It has many thousands of rounds though it and shows minimal wear. I bought 2 of the Pro-mag 10 round mags for it also. The Pro-mags are both a little sticky on release, I just haven't got around to polishing them yet. Star built these pistols like tanks. They were designed to handle the hottest loads out there. The research I have done suggests that .45acp was a second choice, with 10mm being the first. The 10 is a heavy recoiling auto pistol round. Others have converted 45 frames to 10mm and the gun shoot themselves apart. So the Megastar was built from the ground up to handle it. The were also designed as a military side arm (lanyard loop) but were not in production in time for Uncle Sam's trial when he was looking to replace the 1911. I found that the blued .45 is on the rare side and not really blued. It is a black phosphate finish for corrosion resistance. Mine has developed a patina on the back strap over the years. Enjoy your gun and sorry this was kind of rambling.
:welcome:

Thanks for your thoughts on the Megastar. I bought it in late 2012 and have ran a box or two of ammo through it since then. Its a very soft shooting pistol. The fact that it weighs 48oz unloaded may have something to do with that. ;)

Its a very well built pistol. :cool:

I have shot competition with mine. The weight makes for fast follow up shots. I have ran the light weight "tactical" .45s. You know, the ones made from all the neat space age polymers and one made from aluminum or titanium alloys. To much muzzle jump for me. If you haven't tried yours from the bench yet, Try some match ammo. It should hold a tight group. I think it was G&A magazine that did a review on them just before they hit the market. The test gun shot a 2 inch group at 50 yards. I was sold. Ordered mine that day.

I have a soft spot for Star pistols since my first buy a long time ago was a Star... They are overbuilt and I like that. Bet all that weight makes for some fine shooting.

Met An old gunsmith years ago used to sell them off of his kitchen table with a free trigger job. Only for Star and Llama-- he was Basque. At the time I didn't appreciate how cool that was.

Can I just say how much I enjoy reading these threads? Especially when they come with a bit of company/factory/model history. This one didn't, but still a fun read.

Thanks.

-Bo

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.