Glock Talk banner

Pics of my new Star Megastar :)

19K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  bac1023 
#1 ·
I picked this up a couple weeks ago on Gunbroker. Its a Star Megastar in 45ACP. I've been curious about these pistols for quite a while and when one finally showed up for sale again, I grabbed it. The Megastar is built like a tank. Its weight with an empty magazine is 47.6oz, now making it the heaviest service caliber pistol I own. Its heavier than my other heavyweights, such as my Wolf SV and Sig X-Five, both of which are between 46 and 47oz. It is built of thick steel and should make 45ACP feel like shooting 9mm. The Megastar was only built in two calibers, this and 10mm. I probably would have preferred a 10mm, but either was fine.

The gun shows some wear on the front parts of the frame, but it honestly doesn't look like its been shot much. The finish one these guns shows wear very easily, much like the early Sigs. I got it for $450 and it included the box and all papers, which I felt was a good price.

The Megastar was in production for 4 to 5 years starting in 1993 and aren't overly common these days as relatively few were built compared to some more practical Star models.

Any Megastar owners here? :)

As always, your comments and opinions are welcome. Please enjoy the pics. :cool:

Thanks! :wavey:

See less See more
#5 ·
I had a Firestar in .45 acp back in the day. I loved that firearm and have tried to replace it multiple times. They are very hard to come by. Anyhoo, the only problem I had with it was the first or second time I shot it, the slide stop/release lever broke. Sheered in half. I called the company and they overnighted me a replacement. I didn't have any other problems with it. The two guns I regret getting rid of the most were my Llama .380 and the Firestar .45... Good buy. Hope you enjoy it...

#6 ·
Funny that it has a lanyard ring. I wonder what military they were hoping to sell it to in 45ACP or 10mm? How does the decocker work, it looks kind of opposite from the norm?

Nice gun. $450.00 is a good price for any gun, let alone one with some character like this one.

#7 ·
They certainly didn't scrimp on the metal in that one!

#8 ·
Oh, and the checkering on the frontstrap looks interesting, it looks like it's proud of the surface as opposed to being cut out of the material. I wonder how they do that?

#9 ·
Congrats:wavey:

Star pistols rock! :rock:

TGG

#12 · (Edited)
Funny that it has a lanyard ring. I wonder what military they were hoping to sell it to in 45ACP or 10mm? How does the decocker work, it looks kind of opposite from the norm?

Nice gun. $450.00 is a good price for any gun, let alone one with some character like this one.
Thanks.

That's not a decocker, its a safety. All it does is pull the firing pin in so the hammer can't contact it, much like some other Star pistols. It is a little difficult to operate, since you have to push it up to fire, opposite a 1911. The good thing is that you can dry fire it all you want with the safety on. The trigger is actually pretty good. :cool:

#17 ·
I owned two STAR handguns - Firestar M43, 9mm SAO and a model 30MI, 9mm DA/SA...BIG, heavy.

A Spanish gun collector made me an offer for both that I couldn't refuse.

Excellent handguns. Built like a tank.

My signature say's it all.

#19 ·
Very cool Brian, look forward to hearing how it shots.

#21 ·
Thanks noob.

I remember you saying that before. They don't come up for sale all that often. A few years ago, I used to see more on Gunbroker.
Yeh, they are pretty rare (and my state gun law is not helping neither).

Bac since you also have a 30M. Can you tell me if Megastar is an over size of 30M (like CZ97 to 75) or they have complete different design?

#24 ·
I also own a Megastar in .45. It's a beast that really tames the recoil of .45 ACP.

I got one up on you; I have five, factory mags for mine. Prepare to cry when you go looking for extras.

I shed a tear when Star and Astra went out of business. Great guns for the price.

V.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.