close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Pics of Glock 20 Bulged Cases Needed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Megastar 10, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Megastar 10

Megastar 10

I would like for someone to please post a pic of a piece of brass from a Glock 20 factory barrel that is bulged from high pressure.

The reason being, I am working up some loads with VV 3N38 and they don't "feel" too hot or high pressured, but my Starline Nickel brass is looking bulged, but not in the feed ramp area. I have loaded 200g to 1250fps with AA #9 and had to pressure signs on the brass (both examples Starline new nickel brass). In addition, the primers on these cases do not indicate high pressure (no smearing).

The only thing I changed was going from the standard recoil set-up to a Wolff Steel guide rod with Wolff 22lb spring. This is supposed to be beefier than the factory set up, but it almost looks as though the bulging could be from premature slide unlocking. Unfortunately I only took my new handloads with me, no know loads from the gun, so there is no comparison there. It will also be awhile before I can get out again with the G20 to compare with factory loads and also to put the stock set-up back in a compare the casings to these. That's why I want to see some bulged brass as the symptom here is NOT a bulge at 6:00.

I didn't get to chrono these either, which I hope to do on the next outing.

Thanks.

2. BHur

BHur

Here's one just past bulging.[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Megastar 10

Megastar 10

Here are some pics of two different cases. I guess it could be from lack of support at the feed ramp but it seems too far forward, and appears to go around a greater area than the six o'clock position.

This one is a bit blurry, but if you look at a quarter way up the case you can see a distortion:

[​IMG]

Here is a slightly better picture from a different angle, you can almost see a "grainy" type of texture in the same area:

[​IMG]

This is a different case illustratiing the same condition:

[​IMG]

Here is the same (2nd) case from a different angle:

[​IMG]

4. SDBettas

SDBettas

you are going to have overall bulging of brass because of the oversize glock factory barrel chamber. If you are going to work up loads above and beyond published data, you would be better served with a high quality aftermarket barrel like KKM.

5. MCNETT

MCNETT Load Developer Lifetime Member

I agree 100%.
    -Mike

6. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

I don't know if you are looking for higer velocity or not. I started with AA 9, very accurate but unable to get over 1200 fps without high pressure signs. I now use Hodgons Longshot (MCNETTS recomondation) and now I get the velocities that I want without the pressures it seems.

Corey

7. Megastar 10

Megastar 10

I fully understand the limitations of the factory barrel. However, at this point in time I have not experienced these symptons from loading. As I have said, the primers on my AA #9 loads at 1250 were smeared a bit. On these 3N38 loads they were pretty much fine but the brass was looking different.

I will compare with known hot loads I have used next time I am at the range. I may get a Barsto for the G20, but more than likely I will just use my SVI 10mm when I am finished with it rather than buy another barrel for the G20.