close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Picking the correct sights for your load & pistol

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DrtyHarry, Mar 11, 2010.

1. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

There have been a few threads about sights, especially for the G20 over the past few weeks. It's my understanding that when picking out a set of sights, I need to decide what diameter or height certain parts should be...and this could vary depending on what pistol and load I'm shooting.

For example, I'm trying to find a set of adjustable sights for my G20sf. I plan to be shooting mostly 180-200gr HOT loads, mostly for the woods as well as the range. Will I have to re-zero when I drop down to 135gr?? Please, pardon my newbie arrogance...I'm just a bit puzzled. How do I do the math and figure out what size or kind of sights will best suit me?

I'd like for them to be adjustable (night sights would be a big + for low light conditions) with a thin profile up front....no big dot that covers and blankets my target.

Any info or a point in the right direction would be great. Oh, I checked out Advantage Tactical Sights and don't think I could get used to the concept, so that's not going to be an option. Thanks in advance.

DH

2. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I forgot to mention, I was hoping to find something with a thinner profile up front other than the adj. mepros as well.

DH

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Why not just order a set of sights for a Glock 21fsf? Most retailers list them by gun model and, since you are getting adjustable trying to somehow calculate them into the right zero for your ammo isn't necessary.

4. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

I had read on here someplace that the kind of or size/height of the sights depend on the round and model. I see some sights being offered in different heights and widths. I just want to make sure I order the right ones, whichever ones I end up going with. Thanks!

DH

5. mboylan

mboylan

If you are going to buy sights, talk to the manufacturers and tell them about the loads and model you are shooting. They will figure stuff out for you. Well, Dawson Precision and Warren will. If you shoot a wide range of loads, you will probably need adjustable sights and a front sight that's high enough to get some range out of it.

6. just a shooter

just a shooter

well, since the handgun is for short range and there is no appreciable drop in the short distance that a handgun is meant for (under 50 yards) you really don't have a lot to worry about.

I think I get around 1" drop in 50 yards out of a .40 cal 4 inch barrel handgun.

your 10mm is even flatter shooting than most calibers.

for a woods gun I wouldn't worry about it.

as long as you have matching sights (as in a complete factory set like trig, meps or even stock) then you will be fine.

7. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

OK guys, thanks for your replies. Makes sense that since the 10mm shoots so long and flat, it shouldn't be a huge issue. Thanks!

DH

8. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

A reason for a handgun to have taller sights is if you plan on using a suppressor. The higher sights don't change point of aim but allow for a unobstructed sight picture when the suppressor is installed. A lot of suppressors can block your sight picture due to their diameter. I would not worry about bullet drop unless you are shooting out past 50 yards. I'm no expert but that is how I have had it explained to me in the past.