Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I've finally gotten myself a .22lr! I went to a LGS looking at different models and finally decided on a NIB Ruger MarkIII....It's the 5" Bull Barrel Variety, black shiny finish, plastic grips, 2mags, Weaver-Style Mountable Rail included in the box! I'm super excited to try this baby out soon! I bought 2 525rd Federal Champion Bricks of ammo as well....I'm gonna be a .22lr rimfire cap peeling FOOL! :tongueout:

I came to my decision for a few reasons:
-AA Glock kits seem to be finicky on ammo (love the concept though)
-Sig Mosquito's from what I've read & seen personally are P.O.S!
-Walther .22 (see previous comment)
-Took a REALLY HARD LOOK at S&W .22A model, loved the rubber grips, but didn't really care for the mag release location. And that it opened the bolt on both sides. There actually was a shiny nickel plated sided version and it looked SLICK, even had a fiber-optic front sight but no dice...

$268.00 not bad for a quality firearm that I should get YEARS of fun out of!:cool:

Only thing I've got to get down pat is dissasembly/reassembly, I've read it can be a mofo! I've watched a few YouTube videos and I believe I'm up to the challenge....of it doesn't work the 1st time, heck I did buy a bore snake and have lube/solvent @ home. I should be able to get it "clean enough" between BLASTING SESSIONS! I'll post pics when I can!

·
Rimfire 1010101
1,912 Posts
Congrats! You'll definitely enjoy your new Ruger MKIII.

Only thing I've got to get down pat is dissasembly/reassembly, I've read it can be a mofo!
It's frustrating, and I was swearing a ton the first few times. I wondered if Bill Ruger and Erno Rubic were related.

This is the video that gave me my "Ah-Ha!" moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYHJm2P4kP0

A brand new MKIII is very tight, especially when removing the bolt buffer pin. I had to use a wood dowel & a non-marring hammer to knock it out. The barrel to frame fit is real tight too, again I lightly tapped it loose with a non-marring hammer.

After a few disassembly/reassembly cycles, it got easier. The gun parts wore in together.

Disassembly & reassembly of a Ruger .22lr pistol, IMO, is a right of passage. You have to have done it to fully understand it.

I should be able to get it "clean enough" between BLASTING SESSIONS! I'll post pics when I can!
I'm obsessive. I clean my firearms after every range trip. I decided to see how long I could go without cleaning it. I made it through 3 bricks (1650 rds), before I couldn't handle it any more.

The one single aftermarket accessory I recommend to any Ruger MK or 22/45 shooter is the McFadden ultimate clip loader.

One trick I've discovered is to give the hopper & channel a very light squirt of RemOil. The rounds now just fall into the mags.

·
NRA Life Member
5,881 Posts
Are the cleanings on these really that bad?
I don't think so........and a full field strip is not required very often at all except for the anal and/or obsessive-compulsive.

I run a boresnake through the barrel after each session and a frequent drop of lube in the critical places and I have no problems. After a lengthy shooting session I will swipe out the chamber area and clean off the bolt face with a patch to remove excess gunk. I have actually done a complete field strip on my Mark II one time----and I bought it new in 1997.

I am not saying this is the ideal cleaning regimen, but it has caused me no problems. I definitely think a full field strip every range session will be completely unnecessary. These guns are low maintenance.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Congrats on the new Ruger! Looks like you got a really good price on it. I had a MKII for years, loved it. It was an absolutely reliable firearm. I just replaced it with a MKI this weeekend.

I don't think so........and a full field strip is not required very often at all except for the anal and/or obsessive-compulsive.

I run a boresnake through the barrel after each session and an occasional drop of lube in the critical places and you will be ready. These guns are low maintenance.

I agree, in all the years I had my MKII I broke it down twice. Even then it never really needed it.

·
Formerly retired EE.
15,411 Posts
The only tricky part is getting the hammer main spring assembly back in correctly. You have to pull the trigger and tip the barrel forward and backwards to get the hammer strut in the right position before installing the hammer main spring (the flat assembly that snaps into the rear of the grip). The directions in the owners manual tells you exactly what you have to do, if you don't read the manual then this is tricky since what you have to do is not intuitive. After you do it a couple of times it is a piece of cake.

Separating the upper from the lower the first couple of times can be a bit tough (until the interface between the upper and lower loosens up). I have found that rather than pounding on the upper, the simplest way to do this is to hold the gun in your hand with all fingers straight. Then just throw it down muzzle first onto a carpeted floor like the barrel is a knife and you are trying to stick it in the ground. The two halves will just pop apart without any further difficulty. After you have disassembled the upper from the lower a few times it should pop off with hand pressure.

Note: doing this around your wife is likely to freak her out more than a bit. I suggest putting a towel down on the carpet first if the gun is dirty (to avoid getting gunpowder residue on the carpet). I know this seems extreme, but personally I find it less distressing than pounding on the pistol with a mallet. I have done this with both my Standard model and my Mark II. No damage was done to either gun doing this.

Here is a 30 second video of the disassembly/assembly process, he has obviously done this a couple of times before.

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm

·
Rimfire 1010101
1,912 Posts
Cleaning is the easy part.

Disassembly & reassembly can be frustrating the first few times. You just have to follow the steps. Disassembly is straightforward. Reassembly is where a new owner can get frustrated.

• Make sure the frame and the upper are aligned. There's a little play in it, and you can accidentally align them a touch off center.

• When you insert the bolt stop pin, make sure the pistol is aimed downwards. Make sure the little strut is pointing down.

• After inserting the pin, rotate the pistol so that the muzzle is pointed at a 45-60 angle upward. This gets the little strut to angle outward.

• Push in the bolt stop pin assembly into the frame. The little strut will fall into the groove in the bolt stop pin latch. If you have everything right, it should spring back at you a little. Push it in, and lock it down
I think most of the frustration comes from the bolt stop pin. I think the finish they apply to the bolt stop pin adds just a little bit of material to the pin. The pin also has to push the recoil spring a little forward when it's reinserted.

I have two Ruger .22lr pistols: a MKIII standard & a 22/45 RP. I shoot the MKIII Standard more often. The MKIII has now broken in, and is easier to assemble/disassemble than the 22/45.

... a full field strip is not required very often at all except for the anal and/or obsessive-compulsive.
This describes me. LOL

Kentucky Shooter is absolutely right. Go easy on the lube. Not too much & not too little. Excess lube attracts and holds onto dirt and causes issues.

Logically, I understand that I can just run a bore snake through it and wipe out the chamber with a solvent wetted cotton swab. This would be the extent of the cleaning it would need for a couple years.

Irrationally, I'm compelled to disassemble & clean it after every range trip.

I had a MKII for years, loved it. It was an absolutely reliable firearm. I just replaced it with a MKI this weeekend.
There's a telling statement as to the longevity of the Ruger MK series. Pennlineman replaced the MKII he had for years with an older MKI!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The one single aftermarket accessory I recommend to any Ruger MK or 22/45 shooter is the McFadden ultimate clip loader.

One trick I've discovered is to give the hopper & channel a very light squirt of RemOil. The rounds now just fall into the mags.
Huge +1 on this thing, they let you spend far more time shooting instead of loading mags

Be warned though, you'll find yourself burning up the bulk pack ammo quick :supergrin:

·
NRA Member
1,065 Posts
$268.00 not bad for a quality firearm that I should get YEARS of fun out of!:cool:

QUOTE]

Congrats on your purchase and yes, you will get years of fun from the gun. In fact, it will probably outlast you. That's one of the cool things about the Ruger, the design is timeless.
I have an old Standard and it shoots like it's new, even though it's 60 years old. So if you make it, you could still be shooting yours in 2071 and beyond.

View attachment 219879

·
Rimfire 1010101
1,912 Posts
Huge +1 on this thing, they let you spend far more time shooting instead of loading mags

Be warned though, you'll find yourself burning up the bulk pack ammo quick :supergrin:
Indeed. 5 mags + the McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader make short work of a brick of ammo.

The best is the look of utter awe you get from people who don't know the McFadden clip loader exists.

"Do that again."

"Where did you get that?"

"I have to get one of those right now. Do they sell them here?"

They never ask how much it cost. They just want one.

·
Viet Nam Vet
663 Posts
I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but this comes up everytime someone buys a Ruger .22. I had the same issue 20 years ago. I got rid of the Ruger and bought a Benelli target pistol. Then recently, a Browning Buckmark. The Buckmark is just as accurate, dependable and much easier to take down and clean.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Indeed. 5 mags + the McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader make short work of a brick of ammo.

The best is the look of utter awe you get from people who don't know the McFadden clip loader exists.

"Do that again."

"Where did you get that?"

"I have to get one of those right now. Do they sell them here?"

They never ask how much it cost. They just want one.
I know the feeling, that loader is probably the best 25 bucks or so I've ever spent on a shooting accessory

·
Registered
629 Posts
The Buckmark is just as accurate, dependable and much easier to take down and clean.
That may be true, but I've owned both, and shot both, and I'll tell you now, I like my Ruger better than the browning, that is of course, just me and everyone is different. The takedown and assembly of the pistol isn't so much difficult as it is quirky, you have to know how to do it, and once you figure out the trick to your specific firearm (mine and my uncle's have different little tricks), it's easy.

·
Banned
42,101 Posts
I got the hang of taking a 22/45 apart when I was 10, I think you'll get it :supergrin:

·
Premium Member
7,584 Posts
Congrats, Ruger MKs are great pistols and made to last a lifetime. I have been impressed with the ones I have shot.

The AA .22 Glock slides are very good, if you put the right ammo in them. Mine has been nearly 100 percent reliable with CCI Mini-Mags and 95 percent reliable with cheaper Remington Golden Bullets. If you mostly carry and shoot Glocks, its the way to go as far as a .22 lr pistol.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
They are fun to shoot. If you follow the manual for assembly and disassembly you should be good to go. I use an HKS magazine loader thats cheap and easy!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Target 1

1 - 20 of 42 Posts