Picked up my Sig SP2022...might be sold on night sights

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Jan 26, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

After a few screw ups from UPS, I finally was able to pick up my Sig SP2022 today.

I'm pretty impressed overall.

The sights are something I didn't really care about. They are factory night sights. I only ever had one other pistol that had night sights and it was a used P239. I used it to plink around at the range with and sold it to buy my wife her Glock 5+ years ago.

I was more partial to tac lights and felt night sights would be a liability (giving away position if seen from the rear) and I still believe that. However, if aiming in low light, assuming you're at the top of the steps/back to a wall/etc. these would be pretty handy without giving away position with a bright light. Again, I'll always be a huge fan of tac lights but night sights might have there place after all. The one thing I don't like is that they wear out. So you have to pay $100-$200 every 8-10 years to have them on your gun...otherwise they are just regular sights at that point. Maybe I'll try a set on my carry Glocks but we'll see.

But yeah, sights are great. ;)

The finish on the slide is Nitron. For a Sig, it's pretty good. It has the typical cloudy appearance to it but I didn't buy the gun for looks.

Working our way down...the trigger is actually not as great as I thought it would be. It has a smooth draw/pull to it but the breaking point is pretty extreme. The first 7/10-8/10 of the squeeze is smooth as silk. Then the last 2/10 of the pull or so is really stout rather than continuing the smooth pull through. Single action is good. I'd say only slightly better than my P6. The trigger itself is noticeably wider on the SP2022 than on my P239 or P6. Overall, I still like it. We'll see what accuracy is like with the double action trigger pull.

The grip... I heard some say it was a bulky grip and now that I have one, I have to agree. The backstrap isn't bad but the front strap might be as wide as my G20. Someone said that when they held their SP2022 and then held their 9mm Glocks it was like holding a Glock and then a 1911 (double stack to single stack). I tried it and they were right. Again, this is a bulky grip. However, it's comfortable. I don't see it as any sort of problem for me. It might pose a problem for someone with smaller hands/shorter fingers though. But for me I think the ergonomics are good. I haven't tried the larger grip that came in the box with it yet because I haven't had a chance to get the gun apart yet. I'll try it though just to see what it's like. The texture on the current grip (factory installed) is nice. I will say that I can see the potential for a nasty pinch when changing mags. Plus the lanyard loop is a pain when slamming the mag home. Since the baseplate is ramped, it pretty much feeds the heel of the hand to the lanyard loop.

I like the location of all the controls. That is, the mag release, slide release, and decocker.

As far as weight goes, I loaded it up with some defensive ammo and then compared it to my HD G17 W/ TLR-1. The Sig felt heavier than the Glock with the light.

In terms of size, it's slightly larger overall than my G19 but slighly smaller than my G17.

I think it'd make a nice carry piece for someone that wants an economic Sig, SA/DA polymer gun, or just likes the way it feels/shoots. Personally, I'll stick with the G19 on my hip. But then again, I bought this just to kill cans at the range. I didn't intend on carrying it.

I'm anxious to see how it shoots and how accurate I am with it. I'm not sure if they make a threaded barrel for it, but I'll see if I can find one.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best as I can.

Oh and before anyone asks, I can't post pics. ;)

-Emt1581

2. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I posted pics on my thread for you. I did purchase mine to carry as well as some training. I will see how it works, of course my holster wont be here for a few weeks. These are a lil more of a challenge to find holsters/mags etc for, but they can be had online. None of the local stores here even carry mags. I think it will be a great weapon once I get used to it.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

Thanks for the write-up EMT. Those and the P6 are definitely the bargain way to get into Sigs.

If you try Night Sights on your other guns make sure you get ones with prominant white outlines. Some NS have no outline and are like black target sights in the daytime. Very hard to pick up fast.

4. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Hmmmm, you're OK with a bright flaslight on the front , but not OK with three TINY dots on the back???????

Not dogging you, I have NS on all my Glocks. I've just never seen a reference to "giving away position if seen from the rear".

Not saying it's not legitimate, just never seen it. :supergrin:

Btw, sweet pistol!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. viniglock

viniglock

I dig it!

Congrats!:wavey:

6. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

Glad you finally got your SP2022! I love mine. = )

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

The flashlight is pointing away from me plus it's meant to light up the scene/target. Night sights are meant to stay hidden in lieu of sunlight/flashlight/etc. So if/when a BG is behind me, it doesn't matter how quiet I am or how well hidden. I might as well have a spotlight on myself....unless the BG get's freaked out and thinks some monster is staring him/her down...:dunno:

-Emt1581

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah I noticed the white outlines make a big difference in partial/full light.

I might tool around with the Sig tonight, clearing rooms in low/no light. We'll see how handy the NS are. If they make a huge difference I'll order a set all my/wife's Glocks.

Something else I might do if I decide I do want to carry it is order a CTC for it.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

9. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

What holster did you go with? I agree...these are NOT easy guns to buy holsters for. I ended up with a Blawkhawk! Serpa CQC only because they didn't make one in the Sportster version.

-Emt1581

10. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I went Bladetech stingray in tan. I couldnt find a good IWB so I wanted a color that would blend better. But I usually carry in the waist band without a holster. I have trijicons on my Glocks, even in the day light I shoot better with the dots.

11. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah? I'm a BIG fan of Glock's standard sights. No lining anything up....just put the ball in the box. Are trij and/or meps better than siglites?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

12. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Boy is this gun a pain in the butt to take apart! I tried swapping out the grips and it's the first time I've ever had to use both hands and a knee to pin the gun down...and I still got my finger pinched!! The slide wasn't so bad. I just had to fiigure out the smaller notch. It's really similar to a 1911 in terms of the pin/notch. I wonder why Sig didn't just stick with their traditional take-down lever?

Anyways, the larger grip was a joke!! Felt like I was gripping a brick. However, if you have massive hands (and especially long fingers), it might work great for you.

Anyone know if the CTC grip is the same size as the standard/lanyard ring grip on the SP2022?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

13. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

Try a Steyr....seriously!

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Honestly, I've never been attracted to a Steyr. I think the next gun on the list will be an H&K...a USED H&K..because I'll be a SOB if I'm going to pay $700+ for a 9mm!

-Emt1581

15. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

I recently made a trade with a fellow GT member and I had my dealer ship my gun to him via UPS.They essentially lost the gun for about 24 hours.I called, my dealer called...all they could tell us is that they "had no record of it",not the pick up,where it currently was....nothing.My dealer finally tracked it down,still sitting at the local UPS hub.By that time it should have arrived at the location it was being shipped to.It finally arrived,4 days later,after being shipped "next day air".I will never trust UPS to ship anything again.Sorry for the off topic rant.
    Congrats on the Sig.Nice write up on it.

16. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Siglights are made by Trijicon, with one difference from their standard over the counter sights; the surround on those made for Sig is silver rather than white.

I've had meprolights and find them to be crappy compared to Trijicon products.

Ashley (now called XS?) makes tritium sights with a white plastic ring around the dot; very nice.

If I was looking to put nightsights on a Sig, which I have done several times, I'd pick Siglight first, as they are available in the same numbered heights as standard Sig sights, but are likely the most expensive. Trijicon (non-Sig branded) or Ashley next, and no others would be considered.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Are you saying that Sig's nightsights are the best?

How long should these last for? I'm thinking bright for 8 years and totally out by 10.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

18. G31

G31 Millennium Member

Can I ask a serious question? Under what circumstances do you think there will be a time when you are in a position to be detected solely by the glow of your night sights? Do you plan on clearing a pitch black building by yourself?

I'd hate to try identifying a target where it is so dark my night sights are the only thing that will cause me to be detected. Beyond that, I'd hate to try snooping around looking for a potentially dangerous criminal by myself.

Then again, there is usually enough ambient light in most places that you will be detected whether or not you have night sights.

This wasn't meant to be rude by any means.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  19. G31

G31 Millennium Member

You should be able to find Trijicon or Meprolight sights for around $75. My Meps came with a 12-year warranty. Can't remember how long the one is for my Trijicons...probably the same. Even then, the Meps on my G19 were installed 10 years ago, and they are still more than bright enough.

20. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

Tritium has a half-life of approx 12yrs.

Which means, 12yrs from the day the gas was created, it will be emitting half as many radioactive particles, thus emitting half the light. Then in another 12yrs, it will have dropped again by a half. Etc, it will never go to zero. So after 24yrs they will be at 25% brightness. That's assuming it got put into the sights immediately after it was made.

I've got a p220 with siglights, about 8yrs old, the sights are still glowing fine for night-time use. I don't have a new one to compare it to, but I'm sure new sights would be brighter.

From your expressed tactical worries, maybe you should try to buy 12yr old sights and install them.