close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Picked up my Saiga 7.62x39 rifle today!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by emt1581, Mar 22, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I picked up my Saiga 7.62x39 rifle earlier today. I ordered that and my Draco a while ago and both came in today.

This is a beautiful and well made gun!! I have other AK's and this is hands down the highest quality I've seen!

At first glance it sort of seems petite, for lack of a better word, compared to other AK's. And to be clear, this isn't an AK yet. I still have to get my dremmel out and convert it. It may be due to the lack of seperate furniture on the handgaurd and gas tube (just one gaurd covers them), or maybe it's the lack of a spot to put the cleaning rod underneath, but it just seems petite to me. :dunno:

Now as I said it is beautiful. Not a scratch on it anywhere and all the lettering is nicely printed instead of scribbled on with a dremmel. I also love the look of the handgaurd. The buttstock isn't the best looking but it works and it's lightweight. I might keep it or replace it with another synthetic when I convert it.

In terms of converting it...

I tried putting in an AK mag and the catch wouldn't accept it but all it's going to take is a bit of dremmeling to shorten it. After that, the mags should fit without any problem.

I also see that there will be a need for the bullet guide to act as a feed ramp of sorts. I'm not thrilled about drilling near the base of the barrel but hopefully it won't be too bad.

I thought the trigger gaurd was going to be different on this gun compared to the Saiga 12 but it's not. Unfortunately it's attached to the small square plate that is on top of the plate attached to the receiver. So I have to figure out how to slide the trigger gaurd away from the small square plate. Any thoughts on how to do this? Is it just a matter of drilling through the weld/solderpoint or is there more to it?

It's interesting that on other AK's, even my Draco pistol, the sight has at least a half a dozen numbers printed on it for various distances. However, even though the rear sight is notched out the whole way, it's only labeled up to 3. Now if each notch is 100rds., I wouldn't expect an AK to be accurate past that anyways. Just an observation.

While I can't post pics, I'll be happy to answer any questions as best I can. :)

-Emt1581

2. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Very nice! :cool: Now get your self a damn digital camera, you cheap *****. :supergrin:

:needspics:

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I actually have a nice Sony one somewhere...after we moved it got burried. I'll keep my eye out for it when we move again! :supergrin:

I could use some help with the questions....

Thanks!

-Emt1581

4. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

5. dakotasdad

dakotasdad

6. rgb03

rgb03

congrats. but i would never think beautiful and saiga would ever go together. i own a sgl series and a unconverted saiga in 7.62x39. while the sgl is very nice the unconverted looks like a turd. enjoy your new guns.

7. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

As I said, I like the look. But mainly the lack of Century Arms' chicken scratch makes the receiver look a lot nicer than most AK's with it.

-Emt1581

8. AustinTx

AustinTx

I would leave the Saiga alone and get a WASR AK for fun time, before they're all gone.

9. College_EMT

College_EMT Guest

Sweet! I'm planning on getting a Saiga 5.45x39 rifle on the very near future and converting it.

Whenever I can manage to catch up on schoolwork and get the time!

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

As I said I have other AK's. And I bought this one specifically because it was Russian, although I realize this and a true Russian AK might be different animals. ;)

Thanks!

-Emt1581