picked up my first glock today, hits high, who makes taller front sites?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cutlass1972, Apr 19, 2007.

1. cutlass1972

cutlass1972

So I pick up my first glock today, a gen 2 17. So I get home ad do some shooting. It is hitting WAY high at 25 yds. I was shooting at a bowling pin and having to "set the bowling pin on the top of the front site" just to get it to hit, and I got a much better hit ratio if I pulled about 6" below that.

I am new to glocks, but not new to pistol shooting, so I know that either the front site is going to have to be taller or the rear site lower

with a quick stroll through the glock accessory sites, I see that there are a lot of after market sites, but none that are graduated in any way.

I REALLY want to stick to "fixed" combat style sites, so the adjustable sites are out of the question.

2. Joe D

Joe D Guest

I would let someone else shoot your gun before I changed anything.

3. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Hey, I was gonna say that!

4. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:upeyes: Doesn't sound right! Hurt your wrist lately? How many pistols have you fired, before, that have a trigger safety?

Suggest you support your wrists and shoot with your elbows on the bench top. (Like over the top of your range bag.) See if this helps.

Like Joe D. said, 'Give someone else a chance to shoot your G-17; see how he does.'

(Many shooters think that Glocks tend to shoot low.) ;)

5. D. Manley

D. Manley

I agree it would be a good idea to have someone else shoot the weapon and even "bench it" to be sure. That said, what you describe is a huge POA vs POI difference. As far as sights go, Ameriglo has a a huge number of heights available and a sight-calculator that can help but to be effective, you need to nail down the specifics:

1) Inches high or low
    2) Shooting distance measured in feet
    3) Gun Model

http://www.ameriglo.net/

BTW, Is this a factory barrel or aftermarket and out of curiousity, what ammo?

6. Grimsi

Grimsi Restored member

Sounds like a wetware failure.

7. cutlass1972

cutlass1972

jeez guys! give credit where credit is due! lol..

no I don't have a lot of experience with glocks but I have been shooting pistols for a long time. I do have some experience with DAO pistols and revolvers. Yes I tried shooting with my wrist supported, even used a 2x4 of appropriate length to rest the bottom of my grip hand on to try to eliminate my faults. I even pull the trigger all the way back until it stacks, then aim, then squeeze. I REALLY do not think it is me in this case.

NOTE: I am using the Walmart winchester bulk 100 rnd pack ammo. I have used this before with decent results in other pistols. Is there anything known about this ammo with this pistol?

BTW: I am pretty sure it is a factory barrel, all numbers match on the gun.

8. D. Manley

D. Manley

No, the ammo is fine. You, and if possible others as well, need to group the weapon as precisely as possible to determine as much of what's at play to the extent you can. Provided it is not a user-created condition -and- provided you get reasonably tight groups eliminating a barrel or part related problem, go from there.

Does your rear sight have any marks on it? Sounds like someone may have at some point had the classic "milking the grip" problem with the weapon and have installed a taller rear sight. I this turns out to be the case, it's easily remedied.

9. PzGren

PzGren

Ameriglo has different heights for their night sights. Ameriglo.net has a sight calculator. Call Rick there he'll help you out.
    Glock also offers different height rear sights.
    Glock rear sights are marked for their heights. Standard sights for a 9mm/40SW etc have a single bar on the side of the rear side.

Every change in rear sight height, changes the POI for about 2 inches at 27 yards, there are 4 different Glock OEM heights.

Try different ammo and different bullet weights, too.

One of my Glocks shoots 2 inches high at 15 yards - and my other Glock 23 is right on, shot the same day.
    So much for limp wristing, which usually shoots low.

10. cutlass1972

cutlass1972

okay, I put it on paper, and measured my distance. I shot at 30' and got a 3" group right at 4.5" high in the center of the group.

According to the calculator on ameriglows website that means I need a rear site that is .081 shorter.

my front site measures .165 so I assume no one has replaced it.

I read the bit about glocks dash system, but it doesnt make much sence to me.my rear site has 1 short dash over top of a longer one for a total of 2 dashes. What hight is my rear site?

Also, my front site is held in a little differently than I have read elsewhere. The post portion that goes through the slide is split and has a little pin up the center causing the split to spread to lock it in. Is this standard?

11. PzGren

PzGren

You posted your shooting distance wrong,please correct it. Your rear sight is 6.9mm ( (0.27"), should be 6.5mm (0.256").

Your front sight is afixed in the normal way.

12. D. Manley

D. Manley

I think you've solved your problem. A prior owner has installed a taller rear sight. Pop in the standard (or change to a matched set of whatever other sights you like) and give it a go. FWIW, I obtained the below from Glock's website:

REAR SIGHT HEIGHTS

GLOCK rear sights are available in four heights.

The standard rear sight height for GLOCK pistols in 9x19, .40, .45 G.A.P., .357 and .380 calibers is 6.5mm (0.256in.)

For .45 and 10mm AUTO calibers, 6.9mm (0.27in.).

Rear sights are also available in heights of 6.1mm (0.24in.), 6.9mm (0.27in.) and 7.3mm (0.29in.).

Every change of the rear sight height will result in a shift of the predicted position of approximately 50mm (1.97in.) over 25m (27yds.) firing distance.

13. cutlass1972

cutlass1972

GREAT! thinaks for the help guys!

Anybody have a standard white outline 6.5mm rear site they want to sell?

14. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:) Considering what you're going to have to go through in order to install that rear sight - you just can't push it in there - now might be a good time to spend $100 bucks and get a nice pair of Meprolights installed on the pistol.

15. cutlass1972

cutlass1972

hmm... I cannot just tap the old one out with a wooden or nylon punch?

I was hoping to put a factoy site in and use it for a while until I recover from the purchase of the pistol, then get some trijicons later.

16. D. Manley

D. Manley

If you check around your local gunshops, someone probably give you one they've taken off another pistol. Even if you had to pay for it, you're talking about $3.00 or so for a new one.

If not, shoot me a PM with your mailing address and I'll dig one out and mail it to you.

17. PzGren

PzGren

In general the rear sights can be taken off with a punch and a new one installed the same way. You might want to spray some CLP or WD40 on before.

Gunsmiths adjusted and changed sights like this for a very long time.

18. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:) Metal sights can be hammered in and out with a wooden dowel; however, none of the, 'high visibility' sight manufacturers recommend doing things the old way. If you decide to take the plunge and get some serious sights on that pistol, then, here's what you'll need.

http://www.topglock.com/catalog/tools.htm

Personally, I've found it a better idea to pay $35.00 to $40.00 dollars more and just let a properly equipped gunsmith do it. (I ask to see the sight pusher.) ;)

Meprolights (Lov 'um!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. BrianNH

BrianNH

No, but I can give you one if you PM me your address :)

20. cutlass1972

cutlass1972

thanks for the offer, I apreciate it, but chriswolfe1968 is already sending me one.

You gotta love gun people! Any forum I hang out on weither it be FALfiles, akfiles, ar15.com, or glocktalk, there always seems to be a surplus of really great guys!

Robert