close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Picked up my first bike yesterday.

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by xring04, Mar 11, 2007.

1. xring04

xring04 On the Right.

Well after much research and consideration I decided I wanted a sv650.

So on Friday I went and got my temporary endorsment, and on saturday I got my bike.

I decided that I should let my more experienced buddy take it home from the dealership. (about 40 miles of hwy)

So last night I put 45miles on her, then this morning got up and did 60 miles, and this after noon did 100 miles with my father in law.

So far I am loving it.

2. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

You made a great purchase. The SV650 is one of the best handling bikes out there and the VTwin powerband is something to be appreciated for sure. What year is it ? New or used ? What color ?
    How about some pics ?

I have a 2003 Yamaha FZ1.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on your first bike. I doubt it will be your last.;) I have a couple myself.

We need some pics!

4. xring04

xring04 On the Right.

Here are some pics from this morning.

It is a 2004, has 4000 miles, came with nice sargent seats etc...
    I paid 4100 otd....So I think I did ok on the price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. NotAMonte86

NotAMonte86

Nice, hooray for naked standards! I was lookin' for an '03+ sv650 for a while, couldn't find a decent one.

6. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Cool beans. You finally got one. Great choice. :thumbsup:

7. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

You are going to love IT . Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

8. xring04

xring04 On the Right.

Does a little windshield like that really help whogasak47?

As for epsylum, yep I finally found one I could afford and that was in great shape.

9. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

It moves the blast of oncoming wind up to helmet instead of directly to chest area. . Above 60mph ,I find it essential. Here are a couple sites just for you. The fenda extenda is Very Impt. later when you are riding in rain or on gravel roads http://www.holeshot.com/

Good luck and Ride Safe The one below is For everything you want to know about the SV Great site. they are a big help.

http://www.sv650.org/

10. FoxMustang

FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

Nice bike, love the look of the SV :)

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Good purchase and the yellow looks sweet!!!

The Sargent seat will come in handy, that's an accessory that will pay for itself over and over again.

BTW, Leo Vince can will make that V-twin sing the sweetest song!!! And when you're ready to upgrade the suspension, Race-Tech makes some nice valve/spring kits plus emulator for the front forks.

That SV650 is a modern classic. Once in a while a great bike comes out and that SV is one of those great bikes.

12. BP44

BP44

SWEET BIKE..... tomorrow I plan to take the same leap you took and pick up a sv :) just not sure if I want the naked or the svs.

13. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

If you can, take a test ride on both. Most dealers will allow this to serious buyers. That way you get the best one for you. Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup:

14. 87vert

87vert

Nice Bike, I bought my first bike friday and got it today, also had a friend ride it home. I havent taken the MSF class so the only riding I've done is up and down the driveway learning the clutch/throttle.

15. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I wouldn't say most. The dealer my brother used to work at (the oldest Honda dealer in the US but sells all of the big 4) would not allow it for a couple reasons.

1. People when by themselves on a modern sport bike, take it out and rape it. Now how could they sell a bike that has less than 10 miles but has seen 10,000+ rpm under load on several occasions as "new"? A modern sportbike rivals any supercar in terms of engine technology. They HAVE to be broken in properly.

2. The very very few instances that a salesman has let someone do a test ride, some of the people didn't even make it out of the parking lot without driving straight into a telephone pole (one was a BRAND NEW Yamaha R1). Those salesmen usually found themselves without a job very soon afterward.

If you can find one that does do test rides, cool. But do understand there are good reasons some don't. As usual it is because of a-holes ruining it for the rest of us.

16. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

It's a valid point, but "proper" break-in is very controversial.

Here is an interesting read:
    http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I've raced on engines with less than 10 minutes of run time. Smart or not, I don't know.

I do agree that it's tough calling a bike "new" after it's had several high speed sessions. We need more "demo" units.:thumbsup:

17. 87vert

87vert

how long did the motors last?

18. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

About 6 months, which is my usual service life for my race bike engines. My 2005 is on it's 4th piston and second set of crank main bearings.

As many RPMs as they turn... If they last a few minutes, then they are good to go. If you made a mistake, it'll be apparent real fast.

19. Lone Wolff

Lone Wolff Tire World...

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd definitely lean towards more conventional break in period for street bikes. Track & race bikes where you know you're going to rebuild the engine = diff story. My personal bike needs to be broken in with longevity of engine in mind, not just being able to squeeze every last tiny piece of juice out of the motor.

20. whogasak47

whogasak47 JPFO-GOA

If you can take someone about 6' 240 lbs. and get them to hold bike you are sitting on in riding position. Then you can decide between sv and svs , choose wisely. They are both great. One will be best for you. One will "feel better" than the other.
    Good Luck and Ride Safe:thumbsup: