Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
129,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have not been a huge fan of Korth firearms since they changed ownership and moved their factory from Ratzeburg to Lollar, there is no denying they build an extremely high quality product. What turns me off about the company is their clear lack of taste from an aesthetic standpoint. More simply, they build ugly guns, in my opinion.

Most of Korth’s current revolvers are pretty hideous. The higher end models are $5000+ and wear rails and at time some bad colors. The “entry level” Korth Mongoose is a nice looking wheelgun, but comes standard with rubber grips at over $3000. Don’t even get my started on the Korth Skyhawk, but they are near $4000 and about as ugly as revolvers get. It just seems that unless tastes are completely different in Germany, Korth really misses the mark when it comes to making a classy revolver. Not to mention, you have to put up with a ridiculously big Nighthawk Custom import stamp on your high end German piece. I don’t mind ugly semi autos so much, but ugly revolvers? No thanks.

Which leads me to the Korth PRS. This is the second semi auto design Korth has introduced in its history and the first since the change in ownership and factory. The PRS is essentially the marriage of arguably the “most American” semi auto pistol design in the 1911 with a very German design in the roller delayed blowback. :cool:

With that combination, the PRS offers superior ergonomics and outstanding fixed barrel accuracy. The trigger and firing parts and controls are pretty much 1911. It breaks crisply at only about 2lbs, so extremely light. The internals are very intricate and complicated, like many German pistols of this prowess. The “golf ball” pattern on the slide and front and back strap is very aggressive. There’s no hand slippage whatsoever. I’m not exactly sure which wood the grips are, but they show some beautiful grain. I think it’s just walnut, but a very nice cut. Incidentally, standard 1911 grips fit fine.

Aesthetically, the design is growing on me. When they first came out, I thought they looked God-awful. Now, I think they are ok, but I still hate the long rail and I think the barrel weight just looks bad. That being said, the finish is beautiful and the metal work is second to none. :)

Quality wise, this gun is certainly up there with the best of the best from Germany or anywhere else. Guns built like this are few and far between. Everything is extremely tight, yet smooth. This is a precision instrument that just happens to also be a firearm. The pictures show the tight fitting, but you really don’t get the full sense of how nice this pistol is without handling it. It weighs a whopping 52.4 ounces with an empty magazine. I enjoy heavy, super high quality pistols, so this suits me very well.

This gun was built in 2014 (BE) and is serial number 42. I don’t know how many PRS pistols Korth built, but I haven’t seen a serial number above 200. All the models I’ve seen online were made in 2014 or 2015. The pistol was offered with a choice of a 4”, 5”, or 6” barrel. This example has the longest barrel length and is new old stock. Everything is here from the factory, to include the fancy wood case, extra recoil springs, papers, etc. The test target is five shots within an inch and a half at 50 yards. Actually four of the shots are within an inch with one flyer, so an extremely capable pistol.

Does anyone else have one of these? Due to extreme rarity, I'm thinking not. Has anyone handled one in the past?

As always, enjoy the pics and share your thoughts.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Excuse my ignorance. I clicked on the thread after seeing 'PRS'. My mind went straight to Paul Reed Smith.

They make beautiful, high end guitars. If they made guns, I suspect they would look like this.

That is a work of art. Beautiful fit, finish and detail.

·
Registered
37,423 Posts
Whats the locking mechanism? It reminds me of a top half Hogue of all people put out a long time ago.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Congrats! I've always been interested in that model, but not enough to throw down for one.
And you're somewhat right about the $3000+ Mongoose coming with rubber grips. They should just raise the price (if they need to) and deliver it with the proper grips. That said, it's still one of the finest handguns made today.

·
Registered
37,423 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Hi Brian,

The one great advantage to being in the economic range where a Ruger American is the good pistol of one’s acquisitions, is one can snobbishly ask snarky questions and defend them as not being made out of ignorance.....

Sooooo......

Your photos are amazing, and because of that, I was struck by the grain of the wood on the grips. They almost look.... well.... insect-riddled. Or the wood has been finished against the grain. I have seen some examples of the wood craftsmanship on some of your other pistols and the woodwork is just gob-smacking stunning. What am I misinterpreting with the PRS’ grips?

What is that afterthought bolted onto the front? I am guessing a counterweight? But the color of metal couldn’t be matched? This kind of mod makes sense for an Olympic match pistol, but looks like an afterthought here.

The test grouping is amazing, but really.... the firearm couldn’t have been sighted in first? Barely on the white -4-5 inches low-right at THAT price range?

I have seen your other Korth firearms photos....those images make me lust for a Korth. These photos (sadly) just raise an interest, not stir the soul. </snark>

But then I like my Beretta 9000S....

It would be amazing to see the internals.

What a treat to see your latest discovery!!

Don

Reactions: Bill Keith

·
Registered
34,822 Posts
That is an UGLY hunk of steel. Sorry to tell my truth. But since you put such great value on it, congratulations.

·
Registered
129,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hi Brian,

The one great advantage to being in the economic range where a Ruger American is the good pistol of one’s acquisitions, is one can snobbishly ask snarky questions and defend them as not being made out of ignorance.....

Sooooo......

Your photos are amazing, and because of that, I was struck by the grain of the wood on the grips. They almost look.... well.... insect-riddled. Or the wood has been finished against the grain. I have seen some examples of the wood craftsmanship on some of your other pistols and the woodwork is just gob-smacking stunning. What am I misinterpreting with the PRS’ grips?

What is that afterthought bolted onto the front? I am guessing a counterweight? But the color of metal couldn’t be matched? This kind of mod makes sense for an Olympic match pistol, but looks like an afterthought here.

The test grouping is amazing, but really.... the firearm couldn’t have been sighted in first? Barely on the white -4-5 inches low-right at THAT price range?

I have seen your other Korth firearms photos....those images make me lust for a Korth. These photos (sadly) just raise an interest, not stir the soul. </snark>

But then I like my Beretta 9000S....

It would be amazing to see the internals.

What a treat to see your latest discovery!!

Don
Don,
It’s just a barrel weight. I’ve got several guns with them and I don’t think any of them match. It’s not part of the slide. As for the grip texture, I believe that’s by design to give it some texture. With the naked eye, it’s not noticeable.

As for the sights, I rarely see a test target that’s on the bullseye. I’m not even sure they were aiming at the bullseye. All that matters is the first shot and then the grouping around it.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Don,
It’s just a barrel weight. I’ve got several guns with them and I don’t think any of them match. It’s not part of the slide. As for the grip texture, I believe that’s by design to give it some texture. With the naked guy, it’s not noticeable.

As for the sights, I rarely see a test target that’s on the bullseye. I’m not even sure they were aiming at the bullseye. All that matters is the first shot and then the grouping around it.
You continue to play in waters in an ocean on a planet I have no hope of ever discovering, much less visit. It is an amazing realm you inhabit, and you do so with endless grace.

In small compensation, you can play with my R51 at the next GT shoot. :unsure:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.