Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
126,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This beauty popped up in my local shop and without much hesitation, I grabbed it...

Here we have a very early no dash S&W model 66 in like new in box condition. This one dates from 1972 and was built shortly after the model was introduced. The all silver front and rear sights were only used on the these guns during the first couple of years of production. After that started the much more common black rear sight with the red insert front sight, so this configuration isn't all that common to see. Of course, this model was also built long before S&W phased out the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder chambers. You'll notice the presence of the older style target grips as well. :)

The Model 66 was introduced in 1970 as the stainless version of the old Model 19. At the time, stainless steel for revolvers was relatively new. This is a K frame gun, which probably wasn't the best platform for thousands of rounds of full power 357mag. Still, the 66 and 19 were extremely popular and certainly easier to carry than the much bigger N frame Model 27. The mid size L frame 686 and 586 didn't appear until about 1980, so the 66 and, especially the 19 were the 357magnums that saw the most duty use back in the day. I believe the 66 was only offered in a 4" barrel to start. The standard 66 was offered for seven years until 1977 when the 66-1 was introduced. The silver sights were only present through 1972, so mine is the last year to have them. It produced for 35 years until 2005 and finished with the -7 model. The internal lock was added in 2002. :sad:

As you can see, this gun is in about perfect condition and came complete with the box, papers, and cleaning kit. The only thing it was missing is the paper wrap. I'm not the biggest fan of stainless revolvers or stainless handguns of any kind. I'm much more of a carbon steel with a nice blued finish guy. However, I think this particular wheelgun looks stunning with the all silver color scheme. Even the hammer and trigger are chromed instead of case hardened to complete the look. The checkered rosewood target grips (which show amazing wood grain) with silver medallions really set it off well. Like I said, it stood out so much that I had to pick it up. The 66 was a model I didn't have and to find one this early in the production run in this condition is really incredible. It will fit in very nicely with the rest of my Smith & Wesson revolvers. :cool:

At any rate, I figured the vintage Smith & Wesson fans and revolver fans in general would be happy to see this beauty. It was one of those guns that I knew was pretty special the moment I saw it. I'm not quite sure how I keep finding vintage guns in this kind of shape, but I'm not complaining. The 66 was a very popular model, so I'm sure there are plenty of owners here. Anybody have an early model like this? :dunno:

As always, please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts...

Thanks! :supergrin:

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
It's a beauty!

Another wonderful acquisition!

·
Registered
760 Posts
That is a really beautiful revolver, it looks absolutely flawless! I really like those grips as well. Do you plan on shooting it? How is the trigger?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
This is why my wallet is in my left pocket. I would have only sprained my NON shooting hand getting it out to buy this beauty!

They are still out there, and they'll never be worth less than they are today. You can't go wrong on these.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
A very nice addition. The Model 66 has a special place to me, as it was my first handgun.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Congrats Brian. Great addition!

·
Registered
126,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is why my wallet is in my left pocket. I would have only sprained my NON shooting hand getting it out to buy this beauty!

They are still out there, and they'll never be worth less than they are today. You can't go wrong on these.
Thanks. I paid $600 out the door. Considering some of the asking prices I see on Gunbroker for these early models in worse condition, I think I did pretty good. As you mentioned, they will just keep going up in value. Smith doesn't build them like this anymore.

·
Registered
126,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
That is a really beautiful revolver, it looks absolutely flawless! I really like those grips as well. Do you plan on shooting it? How is the trigger?
Thanks. Yeah, there's no wear on it to speak of.

I'm sure I'll get it to the range at some point, even if its just putting some 38 Special through it. Its not an unfired gun, so there's no harm in shooting it.

I have quite a few guns I haven't shot yet though, so it may be a while. :sigh:

·
Premium Member
22,829 Posts
Thanks. I paid $600 out the door. Considering some of the asking prices I see on Gunbroker for these early models in worse condition, I think I did pretty good. As you mentioned, they will just keep going up in value. Smith doesn't build them like this anymore.
Wow, I think you did darn well. That is stunning. Thanks for the cylinder pics. Very low round count, if any.

Would it be cliche if I said, "they don't make them like that anymore"?

·
The eBay Guy
21,601 Posts
Wow! Talk about pretty!

Congrats!

·
Premium Member
42,196 Posts
Wow,......great score Brian!

Congrats!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts