close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Picked up a Strider, and have questions...

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by WoodenPlank, Apr 15, 2012.

1. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

I recently ticked the Strider box on my knife list by picking up a practically brand new RW-1 folder. I love the knife so far, except for one problem - when I got it, it was dull as hell. There were no wear marks anywhere on the blade, and hardly any from the frame lock, so I know the knife was never really used...

Yet it is damned dull. So, it needs and edge. I know I have a flat Smith's stone somewhere, and I have a Smith's pocket sharpener that I use on cheap blades all the time with good success. However, I get the feeling both of those will be inadequate for the Strider.

What suggestions can anyone give me for sharpening this thing? Is there an inexpensive sharpener I can get from somewhere like Home Depot that will work well, or am I going to have to either buy an expensive-as-heck unit, or have it done professionally?

2. NotSoFastEddie

NotSoFastEddie

I use a Wicked Edge on mine... other folks I know have used the Spyderco system along with others. On Strider tantos, they leave the front edge fairly blunt for scraping and such... a lot of folks will reprofile it if they want it sharper.

3. PhilD

PhilD Millennium Member

I use a Spyderco Tri-Angle on my SMF. I've heard of a few people using the Lansky Diamond Pro with good results.

4. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

I sharpen everything on an Edge Pro Apex with Chosera water stones and touch up on a Spyderco sharpmaker and various strops. The problem with Strider knives is the thickness of the blade, they can be made sharp but it takes a lot of skill and a long time. You could pick up some DMT stones that will work better than the Smith. IMO Strider makes great prybars that have poor geometry for cutting.

cheygriz likes this.
  5. rogue warrior

rogue warrior

I offer $499.99 USD Confirmed paypal account this weekend
    you ship only after having withdraw the cash in your hands if you wish , not a problem for me.
    please contact me asap if you have one that you want to sell

Currently waiting for your kind answer
    + its my birthday this weekend :) make my year :)
    Dan

6. jstrange

jstrange

If it were me, I would send it to someone like Josh at Razors Edge Knives to reprofile it and get it very sharp. Then I would get a Spyderco Sharpmaker to keep it that way.

7. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

The front edge of their tantos don't come sharpened. They're meant to be used more for prying and puncturing. It takes a good bit of work to make them sharp if that's your goal. I mostly do free hand with various stones, sticks, sandpaper, and strops, etc. Occasionally, I'll use the Spyderco Sharpmaker or Edge Pro Apex. Generally I keep them sharp so I just touch them up. I have turned a co-worker's dull as a prybar Strider SnG razor sharp by free handing it on Spyderco triangle stones. If it's extremely dull you just need to start with a coarser grain or it'll take a lot of passes to even put a dent in it.

There's lots of decent sharpening systems out there (Sharpmaker, Edge Pro, Wicked Edge, WorkSharp), but IMO, it's better to practice and learn to freehand well on some cheap knives. Then you're GTG anywhere, even in the wild, with just a ceramic stick or some sandpaper.

If that's not your bag, I'd send it to a pro with a good rep to have it sharpened initially and just keep it touched up after that.

EDIT: Whoops. Just noticed it was a zombie thread.