Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
made by miroku in japan. glad to see brownings got em back going. beautiful wood to metal fit, nice deep blue, very good trigger. nice piece of walnut. to me, the most beautiful lever ever made. i bought it for myself for surviving heart surgery. i don't need much of an excuse. they don't make many but i saw this one at buds and couldn't stop myself. here's the link for anyone interested.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=022C&mid=534162

i usually detail strip the reciever and do some 220, 400 grit sanding in certain areas, but this one doesn't need it. slick as bug snot. haven't had chance to shoot it yet because they don't want you to shoot for a month or so after they skilsaw your breast plate and i'm getting anxious. it's just a beautiful gun. get up some pics soon.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I am a big believer in Japanese engines . My hobby is working on Japanese cars/trucks . I love them . They are relaible as heck , but why is Winchester having guns made in Japan ? Am I reading this wrong ?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a big believer in Japanese engines . My hobby is working on Japanese cars/trucks . I love them . They are relaible as heck , but why is Winchester having guns made in Japan ? Am I reading this wrong ?
nope. it's browning, whose rifles (or some of them) have been made in miroku for awhile. i had an a-bolt in 270 that was as fine a rifle as i've ever owned. it states on the barrel made by miroku in japan, imported by browning arms co, morgan utah. i guess browning brought them back to life. it also says on the barrel winchester is a registered trademark of olin corp. but, and i may be wrong, i think some winchester rifles and shotguns are made in a plant in south carolina. either way, it's cool with me. it's a beautiful gun, and the brownings i've owned made in miroku were excellent guns. the 270 i sold shot under moa with my reloads out of the box. it's the best looking lever i've ever seen.

·
1,260 Posts
# 1 big congratulations on surviving heart surgery!
# 2 congrats on a nice new rifle, make sure to post a range report.

RD

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:needspics:

:supergrin: Congrats on the 92 Woodrow, I really like cowboy guns too.
i couldn't stand it any longer and took the 92 out today to put a few rds thru it. i tried a few 44mag ftx's but they hurt a little too much. feeling your breast plate pop is not a good feeling. so i ran a half box of 44spl thru it and wow. what a pleasure to shoot. very , very slick action. much more so than the recent henry i bought. normally, i'll break out this cowboy action slicking article i've got, detail strip the reciever and it's like butter. but this one came that way. just can't describe how neat this little rifle is. beautiful in every way. top eject, like most win's, but i've never been able to put a scope on a lever anyway. ruins the whole look of the gun. straight wrist, like a lever should have. cresent butt plate.
it's a brush gun anyway. can't wait to get that 629 4in to go with it. listed at 1060 something at buds, got it for 825. well worth it to me.

love that rifle!
somebody buy one so i wont be happy by myself.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
i couldn't stand it any longer and took the 92 out today to put a few rds thru it. i tried a few 44mag ftx's but they hurt a little too much. feeling your breast plate pop is not a good feeling. so i ran a half box of 44spl thru it and wow. what a pleasure to shoot. very , very slick action. much more so than the recent henry i bought. normally, i'll break out this cowboy action slicking article i've got, detail strip the reciever and it's like butter. but this one came that way. just can't describe how neat this little rifle is. beautiful in every way. top eject, like most win's, but i've never been able to put a scope on a lever anyway. ruins the whole look of the gun. straight wrist, like a lever should have. cresent butt plate.
it's a brush gun anyway. can't wait to get that 629 4in to go with it. listed at 1060 something at buds, got it for 825. well worth it to me.

love that rifle!
somebody buy one so i wont be happy by myself.
Glad to hear you like it, I've been wanting to pick up a Cimmaron Model 92 replica with the large lever loop for a while now. I might get around to it eventually. But still....

·
Lean & Mean
15,586 Posts
Beautiful for sure.
Congratulations!

·
Registered
10 Posts
You're not alone! I bought a 92 short last year. I've always been an semi automatic rifle/pistol kinda guy, but one day while doing some window shopping I came across one of the new 92's and I was completely taken with it. the fit, finish, and overall quality was outstanding. I bought it and have been very happy since.

I was wondering about using .44 Spl in it. The owners manual said .44 mag only but I knew that Marlins and Henry's chambered in .44 mag could do the .44 spl as well.

Also, have you seen that Winchester is releasing a 92 Trapper? Just checked their website yesterday and they are offering a Trapper (not the takedown model) with the 16" barrel. It looks sweet.

·
Registered
9,189 Posts
Shortly after I graduated seminary I saw a Browning M-92 for sale. I couldn't afford it. If Browning is again making the M-92, I will find a way to afford it!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Talk about timing....

Just this week, I attempted to order the "take down" version in .357.

I was informed that it could not be done.

They never heard of it.

Never saw it.

Can't find it.

Don't know if or when it we be available.

Very frustrating.

·
Señor Mombo
2,855 Posts
The new batch of model '92 Winchesters has been around for about a year now. They are made in one piece and take down frame styles -- just like the originals.

Miroku has been building Browning (a.k.a. Winchester) guns for over thirty years now. I have several and the fit, finish, and metalurgy is the best of any modern gun (with the possible exception of some German gunz).

The price on the new '92s is pretty steep. I have wanted one in 38-40, but they are pricey.

What caliber did you get????

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're not alone! I bought a 92 short last year. I've always been an semi automatic rifle/pistol kinda guy, but one day while doing some window shopping I came across one of the new 92's and I was completely taken with it. the fit, finish, and overall quality was outstanding. I bought it and have been very happy since.

I was wondering about using .44 Spl in it. The owners manual said .44 mag only but I knew that Marlins and Henry's chambered in .44 mag could do the .44 spl as well.

Also, have you seen that Winchester is releasing a 92 Trapper? Just checked their website yesterday and they are offering a Trapper (not the takedown model) with the 16" barrel. It looks sweet.
again, talk about timing. the worst bruise i've ever had on my shoulder was about a 100 rds thru a 18in marlin lever. so after a few 44's, i shoot 44 spl. you're right, the barrel states 44mag only. that got me wondering. why the word only. so i called browning today and talked to a tech who said 44spl was fine. only problem you might have is a failure to eject. and i can see that. the dimensions are the same except the mag has a slight undercut ahead of the rim. maybe he was thinking you might not get enough extractor in there, i don't know. anyway, i put a half a box of 44spl thru it with no probs. blazer alum too.

and you are right. it's the most beautiful lever action rifle i've ever seen. in every aspect. like jap products or not, we don't mass produce anything of that quality.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The new batch of model '92 Winchesters has been around for about a year now. They are made in one piece and take down frame styles -- just like the originals.

Miroku has been building Browning (a.k.a. Winchester) guns for over thirty years now. I have several and the fit, finish, and metalurgy is the best of any modern gun (with the possible exception of some German gunz).

The price on the new '92s is pretty steep. I have wanted one in 38-40, but they are pricey.

What caliber did you get????
you're right. miroku has been building brownings for quite a while now. i've had a few and each was beautiful. nobody does that polished walnut like browning. you hardly want to handle it. people talk trash about their prices but everyone i've ever owned shot the lights out and was heads and tails above the competition in fit and finish. i don't mind paying more for something thats worth it.
glad you like yours.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Shortly after I graduated seminary I saw a Browning M-92 for sale. I couldn't afford it. If Browning is again making the M-92, I will find a way to afford it!
i think mine was 825 at buds. and he had another one.:supergrin:

i'm sorry. it was 875 and totaled out at 910 with the no cash discount.

and he still has the other one. :supergrin:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Congrats on the 1892. I've been looking at those myself.
I had a Browning 1885 Low Wall .22lr made by Miroku and it was the nicest gun I've had for fit and finish. Shot great too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts