Picked up a new old stock Hudson H9 :)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by bac1023, Jun 16, 2020.

1. bac1023

bac1023

I decided I wanted a Hudson H9 recently. When I first handled the gun at my LGS a couple years ago while the company was in business, I decided to pass. Reports of the gun not shooting POA or shooting very accurately were the main reasons. I also didn’t like the rail. I don’t own any metal framed handguns with rails, other than my Sig Sport models in which the rail is covered. However, now that the company has been out of business for a year or more, I figured I better get one while I can. Its an interesting design and checks quite a few boxes to become collectable as time passes by.

The Hudson H9 was first introduced at SHOT show 2017 with a rather high MSRP of $1150, following a few years of development. I remember the hype surrounding the gun being incredible. The pistol was all steel and utilized a 1911-like frame and grips angle and despite using a double stack magazine, felt much like a 1911 in hand. The thin G10 grips offset the thicker grip frame. The recoil spring assembly is way down in front of the trigger guard and a good inch below the barrel, which further aids in the gun shooting flat. Being a striker fired gun, the H9 was able to keep the bore axis extremely low, unlike a 1911, which has more of a mid bore axis. The H9’s trigger is unlike just about every other striker trigger in existence, with its pull being straight back like a 1911. The gun features an ambidextrous slide release and checkering on the front and back strap. The sights utilize a large front dot, which I actually like. :)

By SHOT show 2018, Hudson announced the H9A, which was the same pistol, but with a lightweight aluminum frame for carry. Unfortunately, the announcement was probably made a bit prematurely. The product wasn’t ready to ship and by letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak, Hudson hurt sales of their existing steel pistol. I have a feeling this may have been a factor leading to their downfall, because it reduced much needed incoming revenue.

In addition to this, some small parts were found to be less than durable and many guns were sent back to Hudson in 2018 for repair. Furthermore, complaints of the pistol’s accuracy poured in. Finally, I believe Hudson was being sued by a parts supplier for failure to pay. All this proved to be far too much for a small business to endure and the company filed for bankruptcy in early 2019. When doing so, they still had quite a few customer’s pistols in their possession for repair, which I believe turned into losses for many owners. While certainly a sad state of affairs, this sort of thing is not unique to Hudson in the firearm’s business. It is extremely difficult to introduce something new to a well established market, especially without sufficient funding. :sad:

Do to the shaky reputation of parts durability, I don’t intend to shoot this one a great deal, which is a shame because I love the way the gun points. While the trigger doesn’t quite rival a good 1911, its far and away the best striker fired trigger in my collection other than perhaps my $2000+ Salient Strike One. As for the bore axis, its as low as it gets. My left thumb points even with the barrel, which is lower than other low bore axis handguns in my collection, such as an HK P7 or Pardini GT9. Only my Strike One has an equally low bore axis as this Hudson. I would assume the Alien Pistol will have a bore axis lower than both, but that’s about it. Size wise, the Hudson is about equal to a commander 1911 and weighs 37.4oz with an empty magazine.

My only complaints about the gun prior to shooting it is the slippery combination of the rather smooth G10 grips and very non aggressive checkering on the front and back strap. While its not terrible, I think it could have been much better. Also, the low recoil spring assembly makes getting my left index finger around the trigger guard impossible, as I tend to grip a pistol in that fashion. Other than that, I love everything about how this pistol handles. It at least feels like high quality, despite the aforementioned questionable small part durability. Its also worth mentioning that the presentation of the gun is second to none. The box has a magnetic flap and everything is packed very securely in high density foam. The H9 came with three 15-round magazines and a full color manual. Hudson certainly spared no expense on the packaging and presentation. :cool:

All in all, the Hudson H9 never became a fully finished product. The company was woefully under funded and despite their best intentions to bring something new and revolutionary to the market, they failed and fell hard, disappointing many paying customers along the way. I bought the gun more as a future investment than anything else, but I do plan to get some rounds downrange as well.

That’s enough rambling. Who else bought one of these? :dunno:

As always, please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts.

Thanks! :supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-JCN-, rayzer007, Slackinoff and 14 others like this.
  2. Trucker3573

Trucker3573

If you got it for 11.50 I say great. Then if it becomes a useless paperweight you aren’t out much. Sweet looking but personally I wouldn’t give those guys even 11.50 of my money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. a1b2c3

a1b2c3

I handled one at a gun shop but price was too much. Too bad they mismanaged themselves out of business.

4. bac1023

bac1023

Didn’t give them a dime. They are out of business.

boilergonzo and pgg00 like this.
  5. pgg00

pgg00

I'm curious to see your range report. I was also disappointed to hear about accuracy issues. It seems like it could be a pretty flat shooting gun with it's design

6. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Nice score! I always dug the design. I hoped a company would pick up the gun and make it better and cheaper but I don't see where that has happened. Hope it doesn't brake on you.

7. Redeemed

Redeemed

Interesting guns. My LGS had one on consignment last fall for $600 I was tempted to pick it up. Maybe I should have.

8. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Very cool. Congrats. Really curious on how well this shoots.

jr24 likes this.
  9. bac1023

bac1023

For that price, absolutely

10. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks Bucky

Should be the flattest shooting pistol I own. It’s as low as the Strike One and considerably heavier.

...at least until the Alien finally shows up.

11. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Interesting gun.

A LGS recently had a NIB one for 998.00. I may go back to see if they still have it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  12. bac1023

bac1023

It’s very flat shooting, no doubt.

I don’t believe the lockup is what it should be. I’m expecting Glock-like accuracy levels. That’s fine for a Glock, but not what people want from an $1150 MSRP pistol.

pgg00 likes this.
  13. grecco

grecco

Congrats Brian.
    Nice pick up for the collection.

Rinspeed likes this.
  14. jr24

jr24

The one I shot was very flat shooting, though the recoil did feel odd but ok.

It was not anywhere close to Glock accuracy. Had my 17 with me too and it wasn't even close, even when really focusing on the (really nice) trigger and getting a good clean press. It was a range gun, so that may be part of it as well.

I hope yours is much better.

15. QNman

QNman Old timer

If you don't mind my asking, where did you find a NOS one?

16. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

Whoever designed it obviously cared about looks. That is one pretty pistol. I like the melted edges. Say what you want about the company, but at some point in development, someone tried like heck to make a nice pistol. Yea, a new company would prob have to come out with an already proven design (like a 1911) or they wouldn't have a clue about parts durability and have to use their first customers as beta testers. Think about the violence of a weapon cycling - pretty hard on small parts.

I think that's one of the reasons for polymer frames. They flex just enough to absorb the shock of firing. An all-metal gun would have a more violent impact each cycling.

Current Resident likes this.
  17. bac1023

bac1023

Thanks Gino

If we can figure out this range day thing, I’ll bring it.

grecco likes this.
  18. bac1023

bac1023

There was a couple on Gunbroker

QNman likes this.
  19. bac1023

bac1023

We will see. The shop owner who had one in a couple years back took it home and shot it. He said it shot low and like a shotgun. Not a real good combination.

Then again, I’ve heard stories of them being pretty accurate also. Likely QC issues with the lockup.

20. snappy

snappy

Looks like something Hi-Point would put out.