close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Picked up a new G17 gen 3

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Butch1970, Mar 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Butch1970

Butch1970

After getting a Gen 2.5 G21 from my friend, I guess I got bit by the Glock bug :)

I went by the LGS today and grabbed a new Gen 3 G17 with night sights. I can't find a date code on the box and didn't find a test fire casing (the envelope that holds the manual, etc had already been opened). The serial number prefix is MDN. I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a ballpark date as to when this pistol might have been built.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. tgmr05

tgmr05

August 2008. Congrats on the 17

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. bentbiker

bentbiker

Something fishy. A four-year-old gun with no empty casing envelope and an owners manual envelope that has already been opened? Is there any wear on the barrel? Was the guarantee registration card included in the package? If not, I'd be calling Glock to see if the registration card was mailed in previously.

It just occurred to me . . . when you said "new G17 Gen3," did you mean NIB or new-to-me?

4. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G17.

5. Butch1970

Butch1970

Ah....dug around under the foam in the case and found the packet with the test casing: 8/27/08

This was purchased NIB. It was the only G17 Gen 3 in the store with night sights, priced only $30 more than the Gen 3 without n/s and $10 less than the Gen 4 without n/s. Would have cost $100 to add the night sights to the Gen 4, so this Gen 3 seemed to be priced right at $529. I also preferred the darker finish on this slide than the one on the other Gen 3.

I had noticed that the literature envelope had been opened, but didn't pay much mind to it while at the shop. The registration card, manual, safety awareness form, etc are all there. Box has a blue label (which I guess would be typical for that production era). No production date listed on the label, otherwise I might have asked about it being an almost 4-year old gun.

Thanks for the posts thus far :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. bentbiker

bentbiker

Blue label guns are restricted for sale to LE only. This is really strange.

7. Butch1970

Butch1970

Guess I'm learning quite a bit about this pistol :) I did send a general e-mail to Glock, before I found the test casing, so maybe they'll provide me with some more info.

The pistol came with 3 mags. Don't know if that's typical or just for the LE/Blue label guns?

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

9. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Glockalfeliac

Definitely NOS: new, old stock. If I were buying a G17 today a nice 2008 Gen 3 would be my first choice, if I saw that one I probably would've purchased it. When Glock was changing to the dull gray slide finish with the early Gen 4 models I went out and purchased a few 2009 Gen 3 models since I liked the finish and it was going away.

10. High Altitude

High Altitude

You bought a used glock that maybe had never been shot.

11. bentbiker

bentbiker

Not typical of Gen3's -- just blue label guns. Did they ever say it was "new"?

12. Butch1970

Butch1970

Yup, this pistol came from the "new" case and the price sticker reads "brand new firearm". The salesman checked the inventory (pretty big shop) for a fresh one, but this is the only Gen 3 w/night sights they had.

Back around Black Friday, this shop advertised having 100 Gen 3 (n/s, 3 mags) pistols on special sale. I'm thinking this might be one of those. On the outside of the box in silver marker is written: G17 - 3rd - NIB - serial number. This shop has had some LE trade-ins, but those are typically in the "used" section and priced less.

Hoping I did OK with this purchase. Will post back any info I get from Glock.

13. bentbiker

bentbiker

I'm sure the gun itself is fine. With your added info, I suspect this is one of those instances where Glock gives permission to move aging blue label inventory to civilians. With most LE switching to the Gen4, somebody probably needed to move 100 pieces of stock and you benefited. If somebody violated their contract with Glock, your email might cause some repercussions, but that won't be your problem.

14. bw77

bw77

If you are happy with the gun and you are happy with the price you paid for it then it's a good deal. The other details don't really matter. Shoot the crap out of it. :)

15. Contact

Contact

I could be wrong, but I believe the only difference between the blue label guns and the standard ones are that they come with a 3rd magazine. They used to be needed during the AWB to designate guns that were shipped with 3 full capacity magazines from guns that were shipped with 2 ten-rounders.

Since the AWB has came to pass, there are no longer any other differences between the guns or the magazines.

16. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Butch,

Congrats on the new G17! You do realize that the only way to get rid of the bug is to go out an get another Glock, right?

Enjoy your new Glock!

17. Butch1970

Butch1970

Yah, I managed to avoid the Glocks for awhile. When I got started in shooting, I really had my sights set on a G 19, but as I had friends that were heavily into Sigs that were willing to let me use their pistols, I went that route. Then they let me play with their 1911's (you can figure out what happened there).

Still, I was curious about Glocks and figured the only way I could come up with an informed opinion was to get one.....which has quickly become 2 ;)

I'm already thinking of a Gen 4 in 40/357.....or a long slide version for the range.....or that G 19 that has been eluding me.

18. Butch1970

Butch1970

A quick update.....

I was surprised today to get a phone call from Glock. The guy that I spoke with assured me that my pistol was covered under a lifetime warranty (barring misuse)and wanted to know if I had any other concerns. I let him know that my only real concern was that I had a warranty since the pistol was NOS and the warranty pouch was opened. Nope...full warranty. I made sure to thank him for the call :)

With luck, the night sights still have a fair amount of life left in them.

Guess that all there is to do is to get a bit of lube in the gun and shoot the bejeezus out of it!

Thanks to all for the info and votes of confidence.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012