close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Picked up a M&P 45 compact today. Wow.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by ctaggart, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ctaggart

ctaggart

It's a keeper and I'm definitely impressed. This gun is labeled a compact and rightly so, I guess. The overall size is very comparable to a Glock 23 with the grip being maybe somewhat shorter.

Lets talk about that grip. Three interchangeable backstraps make for the most perfect grip for any hand size, other than a child's obviously. I have average size hands for a 5'10" tall man and find the small backstrap to be just perfect. Very similar in size to that of a G23 grip in my opinion. The only gripe I have with the grip is that it could stand to be more aggressive. I'm a fan of a "sandpapery grip." That's just me, but I'd like if I could find an aftermarket backstrap with a course grit to it. With all of this said about that grip, I've owned a Glock 21SF and have since sold that pistol due to the grip being too large.

Trigger feel? At the shop, I wasn't impressed when I dry fired it. It was O.K. but needed improvement. There was a gritty feel to it. We've all felt that "grit" before and didn't like it. Well, that smoothed out pretty quickly after 100 flawless and trouble free rounds and approx 50 dry fires. The reset isn't as short as the Glock. Speaking of range time, what about accuracy? First two shots were bulls eyes at 15 yards. The rest of the group was pretty damn good too! No slouch, for sure. The pistol points and shoots very naturally. Recoil is brisk as can be expected from a polymer frame 45 but certainly manageable. I'm comparing this to a G17 which I also shot today. Ammunition used in the M&P was Blazer Brass and WW for the G17.

My M&P has no mag disconnect and no manual safety. I feel that Smith and Wesson has a definite winner here. Front slide serrations? Check. Superb fit and finish? Check. A grip to fit all? Check. 8 round mag capacity? Check. Concealable? Check.

It's really all I was looking for, with the exception of night sights. $600 out the door and I'm happy. Yes I would obviously recommend this pistol.

2. rfd339

rfd339

Congrats on the MP45

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Love my full size .45 M&P.
    Wish compact was a bit smaller.
    Still thinking about one.
    :supergrin:

4. Ironbar

Ironbar

I know what you mean about the "gritty" trigger feel! Took about 200 or more rounds to finally go away on my M&P .40. But I still love the thing, and carry it every day!

5. Larry V

Larry V

I have 3, full size 45 , 40 and 40 compact, i love all 3

6. glockfanbob

glockfanbob

Congrats, the compact M&P 45 is on my list of "must pick up" in the future. Take some pics and post. :supergrin:

7. up1911fan

up1911fan

I'm getting a Ruger LCR and a couple AR lower's with some of my tax returns. Then it's an M&P45c for sure. Anyone else with one of these or thinking about one should go to Crimson Trace's website and add it as a new model request, I request it daily.

8. PUNISHER56

PUNISHER56

I've been a Glock 30 man for some years now, but I too have
    shot the MP45C and it was pretty impressive. S&W has finally
    developed a gun that just may make an impact in the industry.

9. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

I bought a new M&P40 last month and my trigger out of the box was just like the OP described. So when I got it home, I carefully examined it.. how it operated, how the trigger bar works (this is a SAO pistol), and how the sear operates. I became pretty clear what to try before thinking about having a gunsmith do any trigger work.

While sitting in my family room, watching TV, I would take my M&P40 out, and "work" the trigger... a lot. What I would do, and still do some, is from a striker rest position (not cocked), I would pull and release the trigger hundreds of times. I did this maybe 500 times before using any lubricant on those parts. Then I just used some One Shot dry lube. I estimate that I have done this well over 5000 times. And let me tell you, the trigger has smoothed out like you wouldn't believe. A BIG difference!

So try this. It does wonders for your M&P. And BTW, this gun's a winner.

10. remat

remat

For some reason the 45 trigger does seem heavier and grittier than the others. Apex sells replacement sears that have been getting great reviews. I am not sure if they have a 45c one yet (they were working on it -- it is different somehow) but worth checking out.