Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
129,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Shadow Systems pistols have intrigued me since their inception over the past couple of years. However, until this particular model debuted, I had no intention of buying one. I’m not a huge polymer pistol fan or even a huge striker fired fan, but once I heard about this one at SHOT show, my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to grab one. :)

The Shadow Systems pistol is a clone of a Gen 4 Glock. I don’t believe they use a single Glock part, but they are compatible. That being said, the fit and finish and overall quality is far better than any Glock I’ve ever owned or seen. Are they as proven as a Glock? Certainly not, but they sure look the part and the attention to detail is light years better. I find the grip texturing perfect and I like the grip angle, which seems closer to a 1911. The trigger isn’t the best, but no worse than a Glock trigger. Trigger weight is about 5 lbs, even though the specs claim 4-4.5 lbs. The barrel can either be black or this copper color, which they call bronze TiCN, and have a fancy twist pattern which I could do with or without. The barrel length is 4.5”.

The DR920P is a full size Shadow Systems Elite pistol with a built in compensator to aid in flat shooting. I enjoy shooting compensated pistols and wanted to see how this compared to some of my high end compensated handguns. My biggest issue with this gun is that its so light. If it were a concealed carry gun or even a duty gun, that would be welcome. As a competition gun, 22oz is way light for me. That said, I’m admittedly a big fan of heavy pistols. Many folks will probably love its light weight, particularly if you generally use polymer pistols for range shooting (I hardly ever do). I installed the magwell onto the gun taking pictures. It also comes with interchangeable backstraps to fit different hand sizes. :cool:

Overall I’m very impressed with it and I’m looking forward to some range time. I like the way the gun is designed and engineered, especially with how securely the magwell snaps into place. Its very precise, right down to the roll markings. These are built in Texas.

I know there are many Shawdow Systems owners here. What do you think? Anyone buy a DR920P yet? :unsure:

As always, please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts.

Thanks! :D

Here it is with one of my Zev OZ9's. This is the OZ9 Competition, with is roughly the same size. The Shadow Systems isn't quite an OZ9, but certainly a worthy substitute.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I’ve had good luck with my MR920 Combat. I’d like to pick up a CR920 at some point.

ETA: If I was a competitive shooter, the SS would be on my short list of considerations.

·
NRA Life Member
5,551 Posts
I have a couple MR920s...they shoot very flat and are pretty accurate for me... You will need a 100 to 200 break in though. I recommend a decent amount of lube as well....

I believe the comp model is to pair up with a red dot.....if you so choose.

·
Registered
129,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a couple MR920s...they shoot very flat and are pretty accurate for me... You will need a 100 to 200 break in though. I recommend a decent amount of lube as well....

I believe the comp model is to pair up with a red dot.....if you so choose.
Thanks Russ

Yes it’s optics ready. It also came with a lighter recoil spring to swap out if needed.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Here’s a dirty little secret, considering I bought my first Glock, a G23, back in the summer of ‘99, joined GT a few months later, sold all my .40 caliber Glocks in the Spring of 2011, replacing them with 9mm Glocks. I’ve sold ALL of my 9mm Glocks, and have used the proceeds to buy 4 Shadow Systems handguns, and I couldn’t be happier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here’s a dirty little secret, considering I bought my first Glock, a G23, back in the summer of ‘99, joined GT a few months later, sold all my .40 caliber Glocks in the Spring of 2011, replacing them with 9mm Glocks. I’ve sold ALL of my 9mm Glocks, and have used the proceeds to buy 4 Shadow Systems handguns, and I couldn’t be happier!

Definitely a nice endorsement

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Very nice pick up. For the past couple of years, the MR918 has been my EDC gun. Have owned three of them in total and a MR920 (that I sold off unfired after it sat in my safe for a month, I changed my mind about going with a red dot at the time).

A couple of months ago, I sold off the last two MR918s and have gone back to the Glock 19, albeit a Wilson Combat Glock 19 now. Just started carrying it after vetting it at the range on a couple of occasions.

I might still go with a red dot down the road - and if so, I believe that the MR920 would be my first choice, I think that Shadow Systems have done a great job with the way they have designed the red dot mounting on their guns (though I am not really well versed on red-dots, only having shot them a half dozen times or so...).

I also want to wait and see if the CR920 turns out to be a good gun (proprietary mags may or may not be the deal - time, will tell.)

Nice pick up, enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Nice writeup and pics as usual. Agree on the quality, they have done an amazing work using the Glock design to expand and improve on the platform.

What is absolutely objectively impressive is how they have redesigned some slide parts to rework completely the optic mounting. Compared to the original, the Glock feels like a joke honestly. Your dots sits so low that co-witnesses on standard height sights, and it’s incredibly solid, the screws they use are double the length or more of what I have seen in Glocks and their plastic plates.

The other improvements I particularly enjoy are the grip texture, the option to have different backstraps that actually modify the grip angle, the very well done slide serrations, the trigger undercut… there is a lot of them, and the overall final product enjoys the simplicity and reliability of the Glock design combined with some serious improvements that people have been chasing as upgrades for years.

Even the smaller details have been seriously considered: enjoy this video to see what I mean:

This is on the same component, but it speaks of the choice of materials:

You need to break in the pistol, do not bother reporting on reliability on the first 200 rounds. I have one with 3,000 rounds and counting and it has performed like a Glock, only more so.

They are having a good success, and I think they deserve it. Let’s see if they can scale up well, it’s tricky.

·
Registered
922 Posts
One of the things that attracted me to Shadow Systems is my non existent competition game. Three of my former Glocks were “tasked” with this, a 17, 17L, and a 34. Just having the frame stipled on any of them throws me out of “production” where I would have little chance of winning, and into limited, or some other division where I have NO chance at winning.

What I like about Shadow Systems is that they are all production guns. Not that it’s going to change things up a whole lot in my non existent competition game. My equipment is good, but my own personal OEM equipment, (eyes, and knees), have seen better days, and are probably on a recall.

All that said, I could see myself owning a DR 920P..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts